LC
Years ago

Australia lose to Greece

Australia have been easily beaten by Greece in game 2 of the Acropolis tournament after leading by 4 at the main break, losing 69-89.

Australia Greece
69 89

83% 15 / 18 <1> 18 / 26 69%
50% 21 / 42 <2> 22 / 34 64%
26% 4 / 15 <3> 9 / 18 50%
4/7 FAST BREAKS 2/3
25 FOULS 19
23 REBOUNDS 35
13 ASSISTS 20
13 TURNOVERS 15
8 STEALS 8
0 BLOCKS 3

Greece look like they shot very well for the entire game and got it done inside and out. We got hammered on the boards and probably inside the paint looking at the game stats.

Anderson (13 & 5) and Barlow (12 & 4) were the only Boomers in double figures. Ingles next best with 8 points. Anstey only played 4min, whilst Kendall played 1min and looks like he will be cut.

Link to game stats: http://linky.com.au/ysaqg

Topic #16408 | Report this topic

LC  
Years ago

PS: Brazil also beat Croatia by 9. Interesting to note that Coratia, Greece and Brazil have all yetr to qualify for Beijing and therefore are really ramping it up a level in preparation for the qualification tournament that starts next week.

Reply #193313 | Report this post

Years ago

I'm not really suprised that Greece beat Australia at all. They did win the European Championship in 2005, and still have most of their main players from that tournament around, so I'd say they're definitely better than the Aussies. Still, decent effort by Australia, and while I support our guys, we still have a long way to go before we can even get Bronze at an Olympic Games. We might be getting better, but other countries are as well, so we just have to try and keep on improving.

Reply #193354 | Report this post

NPBHS  
Years ago

You can't really say it was 'a decent effort'. If the Boomers want a medal, they cannot expect to lose by 20 and be complacent.
Greece aren't the best team in the World, and yet they beat us by 20. Imagine how hard it's going to be to get Bronze when we have to get past teams like USA,Argentina,Brazil,Italy,France,Greece,Spain

USA-ALL-STAR Team. LBJ,D-Wade,J-kidd,kobe(Best in world-dont need to say much more really)

Argentina-Ginoblli,Oberto,Nocioni,Scola(ranked 2nd best in world by FIBA)

Spain-Juan Carlos Navvaro,Pau Gasol, Jose Calderon,Ricky Rubio,Rudy Fernadez(3rd best in world with 5 NBA Players)

Brazil-Heaps of quality European players plus Leandro Barbosa and Nene!

France-Parker,Turiaf,Boris Diaw and other NBA PLayers

Greece-6th best in world and 2ND at World Champs in 2006

Italy-Heaps of quality EURO players plus Barganini from the Raptors and Marco Bellinielli

Getting a medal at Bejing is going to be sooo hard!

My pick for the top 3 spots are:
1. USA-I think its their time for once, experienced side with superstars. They seem to be more of a team this time round courteosy of Coach K

2. Argentina-Ginobbli,Oberto,Nocioni and Scola is a great lineup. Even better is that fact that they are a great TEAM

3. France-IMO the dark horse of the tournament. People are really forgetting about the French. They have a VERY GOOD LINEUP. Parker is going to be very very hard to stop, Diaw will post big no.s and Turiaf will get it done INSIDE. They have great balance: Parker at PG, Diaw at PF/SF and Turiaf at C.

Reply #193364 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Here's my tips for what it is worth:

1. Spain
2. USA
3. Greece

Others with a realistic chance of making the medal round (final 4), including:

Argentina
Lithuania
Russia
France
Germany
Brazil
China
Australia

That's 11 teams with a real shot IMO.

Reply #193369 | Report this post

moose  
Years ago

France did not qualify for the 2008 games.

See the following, thanks to Rat10 in the later Olympic Basketball Predictions post.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/France_national_basketball_team

Reply #193388 | Report this post

Years ago

NPBHS, I agree, it'll be very hard for Australia to get anywhere near a medal.

And LC, I think you forgot the 2004 Olympic Games Silver Medalists Italy there.

Reply #193402 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Australia will get it's arse handed to it on a platter at the Games.

It amazes me that Australia constantly jacks up 3 ball after 3 ball. I thought Goorj would of learnt his lesson after the last World Champs. Our shooters are simply not good enough for this game plan. It worked with Gaze, Heal and co, but these guys just don't hit constantly enough.

Goorj is going to be so out-coached Australia is already at a disadvantage.

I seriously hope that when Bogut joins the team then we revert to a low post game style utilising Bogut and Andersen in the block. We had better use these two legit world-class bigmen to their strengths and not continuously jack up sh*t from the outside.

Reply #193421 | Report this post

playa  
Years ago

this Aus team don't stand NO chance. if Bogut is de best playa foget about it !!! dey should bring gaze, heal and bradtke in de team .. they hav a better chance !!!

Reply #193478 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Yeah bring retired players in...

Pfft you are a tool playa.

Go back to the Ali G school of english.

Reply #193482 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:43 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754