Colin
Years ago

Eric Ezis - RIP

Received a letter from MARS stadium yesterday informing me that Big Eric had died suddenly on Sunday night. He was a super guy and will be sorely missed.

Topic #16433 | Report this topic

SVD  
Years ago

There will a minutes silence before all games tonight.

Sad news!

Reply #193519 | Report this post

johnny sack  
Years ago

The Eric who co-ordinated the reffing among other things???

Reply #193524 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yes thats correct coordinated umpiring on tuesday and thursday nights was UIC at hillcrest a while back as well, top bloke was always around at the 6ers games and anywhere a big ABA game was held

Reply #193528 | Report this post

johnny sack  
Years ago

That`s sad news - i haven`t played at Mars for years now (4-5 years / tuesday nights) but i always remember him as a real personable, funny bloke, and gave as good as he got if you sniped at him (on or off the court)...

RIP Eric...

Reply #193531 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

here here Johnny. Very sad news, he was alway good for a chat.

Reply #193537 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

and even a sledge...sad news..

Reply #193539 | Report this post

JoeyKnuckles  
Years ago

Eric was a top guy. very sad news indeed!!!

Reply #193545 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Very sad news indeed.

Reply #193546 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

will be missed by all. Feel for the daughter he throught the world of her.

Reply #193550 | Report this post

NPBHS  
Years ago

Its a hard time for everyone at the moment. So many well known Basketball legends have past over.
Not sure if you Aussies have heard, but Murray Mcmahon passed away a few days ago at age 64. He was coach of the Waikato Pistons which won the NZNBL championship a month ago. He had a heart attack while playing basketball.
He was a truly amazing guy, as he had been involved with Basketball for over 50 years. He was the oldest National League player when he stepped out on the court in 1996(i believe?) at age 52!
R.I.P
Murray McMahon

P.S Our thoughts go to you and your family, and those many current Tall Blacks who you have coached. Your a legend Muzza!

Reply #193568 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

Daughters plural.

Yes, really liked Eric, umpired with him and had him umpire my games as junior and senior. Knew his brother and played with his nephew, thought with the family.

Reply #193604 | Report this post

oddbod  
Years ago

Funeral Sat 12th 10.30am 63 Golden Grove rd Ridgehaven
A man that will be sadley missed by many

Reply #193751 | Report this post

PK Mum  
Years ago

Tigers U 16 girls wore black armbands today at Bearcats Carnival, mark of respect for a guy who always had something positive to say to Juniors. Much sympathy to his family. He will be sadly missed.
Vale Eric.

Reply #193799 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

we went to the funeral today his daughter did a great speech on him he will be sadly miss still do not beleive he has gone we will miss you eric a great man

Reply #193808 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

was also at the funeral the speech was touching!!!, alot of well known basketball faces at the funeral a lot of people, showed how respected and well liked the man was, he will be sadly missed mars will never be the same, thanks for all the good times eric

Reply #193861 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes i agree we will miss you face and smile at mars

Reply #193870 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also to note the passing of a great guy, all the referees at thge U18 national championships wore black armbands on the monday of the tournament, as Eric was very close with one of the SA refs.

Reply #193875 | Report this post

doddobird  
Years ago

Sad news. Worked with the guy for seven years. He did more work than he was payed for and really cared about the competition. He was the main factor for the growth of social basketball at Mars.I have no question about that. He took the time to phone me up and tell what team should play in what grade. (again not his job). His goal was always to have a good enjoyable competition at Mars and for a long time we achieved that. Always had a word to say over the Sixers and was a well liked umpire. Like I said sad news.
Matt Dodson

Reply #194449 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:05 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754