sc
Years ago

Electric atmosphere in the Dome

I think that we really need an electric atmosphere in the Dome tonight to help lift the guys and get them over the line. A win tonight would be pretty huge in the context of the game.

Problem - the atmosphere at the Dome seems to be getting less and less. It is mediocre at best.

I think the major contributing factors are:

1. The reduction in attendances. But even for the 4500 or so who are attending, the atmosphere seems to be a bit 'weak'.

2. The ticket pricing also contributes to the problem indirectly as there are very few young people attending games cause they can't afford it. I can guarantee that 5 young blokes would make more noise than 10 old people. Add in some booze for the yung blokes and you can double the noise again. I remember at one game earlier this season, all it took was a couple of loud, pissed blokes up in the South-Eastern corner to start a DE-FENCE chant and most of the stadium was joining in and it sounded great.

3. The lack of a (real) cheersquad also doesn't help. A good, loud cheersquad helps to bring the rest of the crowd into it. I know the courtside announcer tries to get the crowd going with a few chants and encouraging them to be loud but again I think this also relates back to point 2. Are granny and grandpa sitting with their thermos and knitting needles really going to start chanting DE-FENCE or heckling a few opposition players? I think not.

How can people be encouraged to join in and create an atmosphere rather than just golf-clapping each basket?

How did stadiums like Cairns and Perth which (apparently) have generated awesome atmospheres do it? They seem to have turned mediocre atmospheres into great atmospheres.

In the end - I guess it just comes back to filling up the Dome again. Recently when I've seen people wearing a Sixers hat I have asked them whether they have been going along to enjoy the success of the Sixers this season. The standard response is pretty much, "I would love to but I just can't afford to go". I reckon I've heard that around here just a few times before!

Topic #1644 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

From what I've heard from Perth, they have a cheer squad of teen/uni-age fans (starting chants about opponents, etc), plus a really excitable announcer that gets everyone going.

I read a comment on the Wildcats forum from someone who had talked to Nick Hambour and he'd said that he thought that the atmosphere was fantastic over there.

They do pack out the stadium a fair bit, so it might be that the crowd are in a more positive mood because of that?

I know it seems like a dangerous shortcut, but a few guys with a couple of beers behind them could be talked into shouting the occasional remark at an opponent.

I won't take credit for this idea, because Oscar told me he saw more or less the same thing happen at Wollongong, but: get a couch or two on the baseline opposite the dancers. Four loudest people win the chance to sit there and have drinks (nothing excessive, maybe a small beer per quarter) and fingerfood delivered during the game. Call it the Loudest Seat in the Dome, or Cooper's Couch (sponsored by Cooper's, hence the beer) or Coca-Cola Couch (by Coke -- hard to then have them drink beer though!). Make it bright green if it's the Cooper's Couch, or red if it's from Coke. Or call in Greater Union and make it a Gold Class seat promo.

Then let them heckle opponents without pissing off too many people. Let them lead by example (standing ovations when the team goes on a good run, starting a chant, etc). Take their photo and feature them on the website for the following week while taking applications/selling tickets for the next group of 4.

Easy to set up and could be done for nothing.

Reply #18738 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

The couch sounds like a good idea. I'll put my hand up for a few beers and a shouting match.

Reply #18748 | Report this post

Liam Flynn  
Years ago

FYI, Goorijan was down at training today watching the Power go through their paces.

Reply #18762 | Report this post

Avanti  
Years ago

And you let him into the sacred ground Liam????????

Reply #18770 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

The guys in perth play $100 for the season to be apart of the squad in the refs uniforms ....the compete against the uni loonies to see who makes the most noise

Reply #18782 | Report this post

Liam Flynn  
Years ago

Avanti,

I made a bet with him that if I had more hair than him he couldnt come in...needless to say I lost!

Reply #18787 | Report this post

Avanti  
Years ago

Ha!

A close run thing though Liam......

Reply #18790 | Report this post

Paul Arnott  
Years ago

Too close to call.

Reply #18805 | Report this post

Liam Flynn  
Years ago

Avanti,

Yeah I was ahead on the count with Goorijan, until a strong gust of wind blew my 'comb over' off.

Thanks Arnie...that's gotta be one of the most flattering photos "'ve ever taken. I'll know better next time to send you photos of me getting aroused holding the premiership cup!

Reply #18824 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

Ive wanted to buy those thudersticks and make some LOUD noise...anyone else up for that?
Also make a sign or 2 for some atmosphere...maybe something like "NOT IN OUR HOUSE!!" And you could hold it up everytime the sixers get a flashy score or if the opp. miss an easy shot etc.

Feedback?

Reply #18826 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

sc, I just remembered why I was so bored at the game tonight. I forgot my knitting needles.

Reply #18853 | Report this post

sc  
Years ago

EC - there's something wrong with you if you were bored tonight .... With or without knitting needles!

That was by far the game of the year and the atmosphere during the last quarter was amazing!

I can only assume that the $15 tickets at least partly contributed to the much better crowd tonight (as well as the fact that we were playing against 2nd on the ladder). I would love to know how many were sold.

Reply #18862 | Report this post

ft  
Years ago

according to the NBL Match Report

Reply #18872 | Report this post

ft  
Years ago

according to Fox sports report!!

Reply #18873 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

sc - She was being sarcastic.

Reply #18875 | Report this post

sc  
Years ago

I do realise that - so was I!

Reply #18881 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Sorry guys. That was a brilliant game tonight.

Reply #18886 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Correction - Last night. Seems like tonight because I still haven't been able to sleep.

Reply #18887 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

I reckon the crowd was closer to 6000 than bloody 4400! If that was 4400 then i think ive seen crowds of 2000 becasue quite a lot of the upper seats were taken which was good to c.

And didn't everyone go beserk on the Paul Rees 3pt play!

Reply #18969 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:44 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754