Panther
Years ago

Yao Ming

Can someone explain to me how this seven foot six guy is only 26th in the league in rebounding???
Unbelievable...

Topic #1647 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

he is overrated, he sucks and he is leading the all star ballot....

Reply #18795 | Report this post

pioneer  
Years ago

Not being used by Van Gundy properly and T-Mac won'y pass him the ball. No wonder he sucks, you would too.

Reply #18800 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

He doesn't suck. Great passer, good range. It's still only his second year in the league. His rookie numbers were better than Garnett (KG was a bit younger)

Rebounding is a problem. You either got it or you don't.

Still, I'd have him on my team. He rules on NBA LIVE

Reply #18806 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yao Ming 7'6 tall - averaging 8.4 boards a game.

Shawn Marion 6'7 tall - averaging 10.8 rebounds a game...

Yao Ming sucks

Reply #18818 | Report this post

Lloyd Braun  
Years ago

as a 5'11 guard i take exception to that Pioneer, give me 7"6 and see what i do with it!!!!

Reply #18819 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

Yao often gets in foul trouble... i wonder how many boards he would avg per 48mins...theres a job for someone in a cushy job

Reply #18828 | Report this post

mr clutch  
Years ago

i think he needs to bulk up more. because he's not as strong as other centers he just gets out tanked on the boards.

Reply #18832 | Report this post

pioneer  
Years ago

This from Dave Simmons, the celebrated sports writer from ESPN, who by the way knows his ball.

An excerpt from one of his columns, 7/12/04

On "NBA Fast Break" last week, Legler, Anthony and Stephen A. discussed Yao's relative funk -- statistically, he isn't any better than last season, which makes no sense -- and collectively decided that Yao wasn't aggressive enough to become a dominant center. Stephen A. also pointed the finger at Jeff Van Gundy, staring into the camera like an assassin, then screaming, "JEFF VAN GUNDY DOESN'T KNOW HOW TO COACH OFFENSE!" And yes, both of those points are part of the problem. During that Clippers game, the Rockets pounded the ball down low like Yao was Zydrunas Ilguaskas, only he's not that type of player -- shove him around and he'll eventually settle for fall-aways and jump hooks. Which he did. I'm not sure how having a 7-foot-6 guy falling away from the basket helps anybody except the other team.

Still, I blame the Rockets for surrounding him with the wrong players. In three seasons, they haven't had a single point who could throw Yao an entry pass, plus they haven't had a single shooter who could consistently make threes (and prevent teams from collapsing on Yao). This current team features the worst point guards in the league (although Bobby Sura just came back); three undersized rebounders (none of whom would ever be confused with Maurice Lucas); and only one reliable shooter (T-Mac, who thrives with one-on-one stuff). I like T-Mac, but he isn't a sophisticated enough offensive player to play with someone like Yao. None of these guys are. It's a shame. It's like watching one of the guys from Phish playing in Ashlee Simpson's band.

In a perfect world, Yao would be playing on the high post like Walton did, finding cutters (he's an exceptional passer, although you would never know on this team) and draining open 15-footers. Just look at the way Sacramento uses Brad Miller right now. In fact, if you switched Yao with Brad Miller tomorrow, Yao's career would take off and we wouldn't even be having this discussion. I'm just worried that he's starting to get discouraged -- not only is Yao losing confidence, but guys are going out of their way to dunk on him now. In 18 games, he only has 22 blocks and 149 rebounds. The guy is 7-foot-6!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! After watching Yao's body language during that Clippers game, I would be astounded if he's still playing for the Rockets in three years.

One other Rockets note: I always liked T-Mac ... it's a shame how his game atrophied playing with crummy teammates in Orlando. At 6-foot-8, with his athletic ability, he should have evolved into a cross between Scottie Pippen and Doctor J. But since those Magic teams were so dependent on his scoring, the other parts of his game went to mush -- now he only seems to light up when he's getting a ton of shots, like last week's Dallas game, when he came alive with 48 points (on 36 shots), 9 rebounds and 9 assists in a fantastic shootout with Nowitzki. Van Gundy isn't a moron. Eventually, he will realize that T-Mac's offense gives him the best chance to win every night. Which means Yao will be standing around watching him like everyone else. What a waste

Enuffsaid

Reply #18838 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Rebounds per 48 minutes:
Yao is 29th in the NBA at 12.9 RP48.

KG is top (18.4 RP48), followed by Evans, Gadzuric, Fortson, TD, Wallace, Chandler, Howard, Murphy and Gooden.

Reply #18859 | Report this post

mark  
Years ago

The comparison between Marion and Yao's rebounding numbers is pretty irrelevant. The Suns play fast break ball while the Rockets play a much slower play orientated structure.

Rebounding is not solely height related. Positioning, jumping ability, a whole bunch of factors affect how good a rebounder a player is. Also Houston only has Juwan Howard at PF who is a pretty ordinary rebounder, some help in the front court definately helps with team rebounding efforts.

Yao is only in his 3rd year and is adjusting to playing with TMac. Big players take much longer to develop aswell.

Reply #18877 | Report this post

richard  
Years ago

Big players suck. they get everything handed to them on a plate coz of their height, with little or no care to their skill, especially in juniors, and im not only talking basketball, it happens in football as well. You cant tell me that more than half of the guards playing ABL wouldnt be starting in the NBL if they had 6 more inches. Ball skills, shooting and game smarts are something that are all present in all good guards, but very few big guys possess

Reply #18878 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

Yao is a damn skilled player who just needs to be placed in the right system. It frustrates me seeing such a good talent being wasted in Houston. Wish Van Gundy was given the flick right now. Maybe offer someone like Avery Johnson the job who played with Timmy D, which is a fairer comparision for Yao. Ducan is more mobile and can place the rock on the floor but Yao is the better passer, (and look who Ducan has with him, Manu, Parker, Barry, much better surporting cast of shooters and passers). In any case as the above article says, get someone who can make him entry passes, some shooters and let Yao go to work.

Comparing his rebounding stats to other players just based on height isn't really fair. Yao isn't as fast or strong as Marion in any case.

Reply #18939 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

excactly that is why he is overrated :P

Reply #18943 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

He never was scouted to be a great rebounder, so I don't see why people are going so harsh on him. I can see why people may be frustrated that a guy 7'6 can't average 10 boards a game (I'm 5'11 and had a few 20 rebound games in Under 16s and was basically useless on court so I can see how others may feel) but the fact is he was rated as a good passer, soft hands and nice shooting storke, all of which I think he has delivered.

Reply #19015 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

not the shooting..

Reply #19173 | Report this post

Phat Prophet  
Years ago

but the reason why teams want tall guys is so they can get rebounds!! Rebounding is a centres biggest responsibility

Reply #19572 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

yao's shot is struggling and he has no power.if yao had power he would dunk the ball every single time and dominate but he cant because he has no power to explode over players.his rebounds are down because he gets boxed out and cant fight the box out.yao still hasnt peaked yet so.....

Reply #20004 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so.... enuff said

yao ming is no good, until patrick ewing can teach him a good jumpshot yao ming will stink and stink and suck cos hes crap

Reply #20080 | Report this post

bum huggers  
Years ago

he only has that many rebounds because ther are little point guards and off guards with the hops that are running around stilling all his boards!

Reply #21200 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #26921 | Report this post

jk123  
Years ago

Yao sucks plain and simple. He gets 8 rpgs
Chris Bosh of Toronto Raptors gets more rebounds than this 7'6 Giant, and Bosh is 4 years younger than Yao.

Yoa will not be better than a 20-10 guy in his prime yet Bosh has achieved thhat at the Age of 20 for more than half of the season. Bosh a 6'10 PF gets 9 rebounds per game and Yoa gets 8.4 at the age of 25.

Tch tch tch. Yao sucks hhes not All-Star If it weren't for the millions of chinese people voting for him.

Reply #35020 | Report this post

yaozers  
Years ago

yeh, and he barely scored during the play-offs too! wait a minute...

Reply #35021 | Report this post

asdas  
Years ago

Chinese people have to understand Yoa Ming sucks. Some people think, that most of us hate Yao, but thats not the case. Look at Shawn Bradly. How much people pick on him because hes tall. He sucks, and unless Yao Ming can produce good stats people will keep bashing him.

Yao Ming sucks, its not the system or Houston Rockets, its him. He gets in Foul trouble because he cant guard anyone, and starts fouling people. BTW why does he taking fade-aways? Frikking Post up people. Even i 5'10 around 120 pounds I am really skinny I still post up people X2 bigger my size.

Yao Sucks. Prove me wrong in the next few Years Yao.
But i dont think u will.

Reply #41997 | Report this post

richard  
Years ago

Yao Ming is awesome.. what other center besides Shaq have better stats that him? so he can't rebound..he is a big heavy guy..but he plays center position better than most of the centers in the league.. and btw, 75% of his all star votes came from North America... you guyz are a bunch of morons..

Reply #45612 | Report this post

twentyfour  
Years ago

yao ming sucks. its that simple. people say that its fine hes not a good rebounder. if you were 7'6 do you think that maybe you could out rebound guys who only came to your neck? shawn marion gets more boards than him and HES A FOOT SHORTER. im pretty sure that the rockets wasted that no.1 pick on him. just look at what amare stoudemire is doing now, and he went at 9.

Reply #46617 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you guys who are trashing this guy are a bit harsh but yeah Shawn Marion is a player once in a life time who can match it with players a lot taller than him .. he's the most underrated player ... as for Yao Ming ... you have to be mobile in this game to be any good. Why do you think Stoudemire is rated as highly as he is?

Reply #57431 | Report this post

Fezlington  
Years ago

I guarantee.....almost every team in the league would love to have this guy starting at Ctr for their team

You numbnuts bagging him are a bunch of fools

Look at the guys of his size and above.......Ghoerge Muresan, Shawn Bradley, Manute Bol.....all not quality players

He is not a hack, Yao is a quality player......give the block time.....tell me how many 7'6" blokes you know that are bulked up and are athletes

Give the bloke a break

Reply #57454 | Report this post

Morph  
Years ago

I have to agree with that assessment ... still Shawn Marion and Amare Stoudemire are perfect examples of power play without the need for extraordinary height. There is one benefit of Yao's height ... he can block.

Reply #57500 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yao ming will never reach 20/10, 19/8 is his limit. I would pick any one of the top 10 power forwards over yao ming

Reply #60377 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

even Dwight Howard is grabbing 12 rebounds per game, and this guy was just out of high school for 2 years!

Reply #60378 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yao Ming is not even remotely close to Shaq's level, or Duncon's or KG's. Superstars don't get ruled by the system, they create their own systems to rule other players. Guys like MJ, Shaq, Magic, or Bird, you put them into the worst team of the nba they would still turn the whole leage up side down. right now yao ming can't even put a 20/10 stat on a regular basis, he moves so slow and severly lacks court senses, if you must hype someone then choose Lebron or Wade please but definitely not yao

Reply #60381 | Report this post

GB  
Years ago

The comment on creating your own system
i suspect language barrier may be an issue. Its just not the same if you need to use a translator to convey frustrations and ideas.

Reply #60396 | Report this post

Fezlington  
Years ago

Yao Mings Avgs so far this season

18.9ppg
8.9 reb
1.4 ass
1.57 blocks

He aint that far off your 20/10 avgs

Look at the Houston assist stats for their guards

4.1 assists a game is the highest avg from Raefer Alston and he has only played 8 games

Put a Jason Kidd in Houston and i guarantee that Yao will avg 20+ pts

T-Mac has played only 6 games

Again.....give the guy a break

Compare every guys stats his height to Yao's

There is no comparison

Reply #60441 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yao is not a franchise player, he is a complementary player

Reply #60901 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yao Ming is goina be a beast. Actuall watch him play then put in some rational judgment...

Reply #60994 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also, stats dont show the significance of Yao's impact ona basketball game. He draws alot of double teams(just look at the game with pheonix where he scored 8 points on 4/5 shooting), alters alot of shots , and often i see the penetrating guards pass it out when Yao is in front of them cos they know their shot/layup will prob get blocked... This should leave 1 open teamate but the thing is that most of the time they aint making those shots... Basially he changes how opposition teams apprach the game.

Reply #61013 | Report this post

Years ago

Well then let's get a Jason Kidd or a Steve Nash to see how Yao goes.

Reply #61268 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

thats not gonna happen, especially not while mcgrady's still at houston

Reply #61316 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

http://www.nba.com/features/numbers_tnt_051208.html

Yao Ming stands above all centers this season, leading all pivot players at 19.4 points per game.

Reply #61329 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

good on him, he was always going to start dominating the leagues centres

Reply #61449 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yao Ming : 9 points, 5 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 block, 6 fouls, 3 turnovers, 25:22 mins.

Vs.

Joel Przybilla : 8 points, 15 rebounds, 0 assists, 2 blocks, 3 fouls, 2 turnovers, 38:36 mins.

What's the excuse this time Double Clutch?

Reply #61631 | Report this post

mm  
Years ago

Reply #61634 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

Everyone is entitled to a bad game. But i still agree he is massively overrated!

Reply #61658 | Report this post

52-Cans  
Years ago

oohhhh boy is that kid ever overrated

Reply #61665 | Report this post

Years ago

Please don't make me go to the Suns website and check on Marion's and Thomas' stats VC lol

Reply #61684 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

yer ok, i got a bit exited and overexagerated a bit, but dont u just wanna see yao do well, i mean thew guy is 7"6!!

Reply #61696 | Report this post

Years ago

Precisely the guy is only good for blocking shots, he needs to be as mobile as a Duncan ... one of the Wallace boys or Stoudemire (when he gets back) before he can match up with the best of the big men

Reply #62044 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hate how people always brings up the idea that there are 1 billion chinese voters voting for yao in the ballads. last season or the one b 4 Yao beat Shaq in the paper votes, which are only from the US and one Canadian city (Toronto). Yao actually LOST the international internet voting.and note that if there were so many chinese people voting for yao, why was his vote only 2 million and not like say 100 million... think!!

Reply #62065 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

note that yao is currently getting 9.1 rebounds and 19.5 points game, thats already one of the top stats for centres int he NBA. and until his stats has stabilised for a few seaons, u cant say that he has reached his peake... Yao's stats has been improving steadily.

Reply #62066 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://www.nba.com/allstar2004/west_center_040129.html

"Yao beat Shaq in the paper votes, which are only from the US and one Canadian city (Toronto)"

Reply #62068 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

Care to throw in the shot attempts in that stat-line?

I think I made it perfectly clear above why Yao won't average 25 and 10 with the current Houston coaching staff and player line-up. He is still young regardless, and centres take time to peak.

Here's the big issue as far as I'm concerned, if so many people don't rate him (as do on here and the realgm boards etc) how can he be over-rated? 19.5ppg and 9rpg isn't exactly the numbers of a scrub.

And refrain from posting Yao's stats everytime he plays a bad game, you don't see me posting numbers everytime he drops 30 and 10. I think the fact he is the leading centre in ppg in the league speaks for itself.

Reply #62070 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

DC,

Yao dropped 30 & 16 to add some punch to your above post.

I personally don't think he is doing as much as he could as such a tall guy - but we may all have to say "You were right DC in a couple of years" - MAYBE =]

Reply #62091 | Report this post

Years ago

His Royal Clutchness,

Sure thing. Yao 4/10 FGs, Przybilla 3/7 FGs.

I think the fact Houston haven't won a game sans T-Mac speaks for itself.

Reply #62096 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

4/10fgs. Not a great percentage but they clearly aren't pumping the ball into much are they?

I stand by the fact that Yao's short-comings have more to do with bad offensive structure than his failure to develop relative to his age at this point of his career. He's doing fine.

By the way, I know I said I wouldn't do this, but while we were talking on here Yao dropped 26 and 10 today.

Reply #62141 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

YM is a beast ATM! Houston Rockets need him to suceed. sure people say that rockets did crap without t-mac. but its cleat that the rockets are t-mac and yaos team. u just have to look at how orlando did in 2004 and the lakers without shaq to understand that u need more than 1 star player to suceed

Reply #62146 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

who do people think is the better duo, Yao and T-mac, or Shaq and Wade??

Reply #62165 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

i'd say shaq and Wade now, but in a few years prob Yao and T-mac.

Reply #62166 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can we get the previous post deleted?

Reply #62173 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

Deleted with pleasure.

Oh by the way, Yao now averaging 19.8ppg and 9.1rpg at 50%. Just 1rpg off that 20 and 10 he apparently will never reach. Still only 25 years of age as well.

Reply #62232 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

keep in mind that all JFG teams have relatively low scoring, cos he slows down the gameplay/tempo of the game. one of the reasons his teams have good D

Reply #62294 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Too bad Yao is going to be out for several weeks after having surgery on his toe.

Full Article

Reply #62462 | Report this post

52-Cans  
Years ago

Would ya look at this? The Rockets win without Yao with T-Mac in!

Yao = Overrated!

Reply #63905 | Report this post

Years ago

Ok 52, what's the diff between Yao not being in the Rockets and the Rockets winning with McGrady, and the Suns winning without Stoudemire but still having Nash and Marion?

Reply #64284 | Report this post

52-Cans  
Years ago

Yao is a tall dumb man

Reply #64379 | Report this post

52-Cans  
Years ago

And Nash is not

Reply #64380 | Report this post

Years ago

Good point 52, i guess the comparison there though is (there is a stark difference between Stoudemire and Yao anyway) between STAT and Yao.

Reply #64381 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yao ming is the best buddy without him in the rockets

Reply #68640 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Since coming back from toe surgery Yao has put up some consisent and serious numbers. Houston is 10-3 in February since he's come back. Too bad Houston's guards can't hit J's and their bench isn't pulling their end or they could be 12-1 instead.

Those who say he isn't a 20/10 player. We'll you've got no credibility to be commenting.... right now he's 20.4 / 9.9 and that average is slowly rising as the number of games he plays increases.

30/10 is reduculous and thats numbers for shooting guards... but 25/10 isn't out of reach for Yao in his career.

Reply #71880 | Report this post

52-Cans  
Years ago

Yes I must agree Yao is playing very well lately, but with the amount of hype he gets you'd kind of expect him to be getting 27-13!

But if Yao keeps this play up especially with his 20/20 game not too long ago he will no longer be overrated, living up to his hype :P

And yeh if T-Mac was to use Yao more he could be a force, T-Mac drive and dish to Yao for the jam - Textbook!

Reply #71892 | Report this post

Years ago

Yeah and when STAT comes back ... dish off from Nash and bam jam boom ... shame how Shawn Marion ... an inch off of being a foot shorter than Yao ... matched him for rebounds and outscored him ... Yao is doing well ... and the Rockets need to utilise him a lot more ... but they will struggle with fast teams.

Reply #71999 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Since when does max height = anything. Being 7'6" Yao loses too much mobility, there is no such thing as a apples to apples comparison of anything. If you want 1-vs-1 comparison, than you're in the wrong sport.. try tennis or golf. Yao is as big for the Rockets as Nash is for the Suns... That yes you can compare. But straight up #'s of Marion vs Yao is silly especially when Steve Nash is drawing a crowd and giving out handouts to pad stats; wrong sport to be making these comparisons...... Team game means you have to review the team and why the #'s are the way they are.

If Steve Nash gets injured what happens to Marion's stats?

Reply #72002 | Report this post

52-Cans  
Years ago

Anon, Marion could put up similair stats, look at him before Nash came.

02-03 - 21.2ppg 9.5rpg
03-04 - 19.0ppg 9.3rpg

NASH EFFECT

04-05 - 19.4ppg 11.3rpg
05-06 - 21.9ppg 12.3rpg

He has improved a lot obviously in his rebounding but Marion can still have big games without Nash - Nash just helps!

Reply #72007 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting.

Been watching the Houston games lately and outside of Yao and McGrady. The rockets guards can not hit shots or are clueless on how to throw entry passes into the man in the paint. Noticed that Yao has been scoring more and more against double teams now; his foot work looks better since surgery. He needs to learn how to handle tripple teams because the Rockets guards simply don't belong in the NBA; so many wide open kick out passes to shoot the trey and it ends up as a brick.... His numbers have been improving and more importantly his play has been more consistent. But you can't win if the rest of the team is helping the other team win by throwing up bricks and turnovers.

Reply #72010 | Report this post

Years ago

Not only that Anon ... but Houston have an abysmal support cast that don't belong in the NBA. 52 is right ... Marion could put up those stats even without Steve Nash ... Steve Nash is more helpful to Marion's style of play.

Yao is not mobile enough ... Houston are not mobile enough to deal with speedy teams who play fast offense and have mismatches. Tracy McGrady is falling back into the situation he had at Orlando. Begs the question if he will want to stay at Houston for too much longer.

Reply #72107 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Tracy is smart enough to review the teams that have been winning the titles the last few years, I don't Tracy would want to leave Houston. Especially at a time when Yao is on the upswing. Its harder to find a solid post player like Yao than it is to find gaurds since every kid growing up wanted to "be like Mike". All the teams that have won championships and had good runs in the post season in recent years had a guy in the post that affected every play in the paint and could post up shots in the paint. Shaq, Tim Dungan, Rasheed Wallace.

I hate to say this because I'm a Mavericks fan. But when it comes to winning a playoff series, its always tougher on the fast running and gunning offensive teams than it is the team that will wear you down from the inside and slash to the basket to score against you. In a long series and under high pressure playoff atmosphere the team that depends on outside jumpshots run out of gas and have little rythm in their shots. While the team that grinds it out and plays the inside-out post / kick out game wins the series and championships.

Houston doesn't need Yao to be quick. They just need him to be quick to post up his shots and hit them and make a defensive presence in the post, looks like he's doing it. If Houston had a couple of perimeter players that could hit open jumpers and know when to slash to the basket (Toni Parker, Richard Hamilton, etc) off of Yao's passes as well as a deeper bench they would be a legitimate title contender. Yao's is as good a passer as you'll find in the post, Houston needs to find players to take advantage of that.

As much as those run-and-gun teams are fun to watch and dominate the regular season stats. I'd take the grind it out Detroit / Spurs in a playoff series anytime.

Reply #72255 | Report this post

Years ago

I think if they had the David Wesley of 5 years ago plus a fully healthy Bob Sura they'd be a much better team

Reply #72311 | Report this post

Years ago

Well Anon, should be interesting early morning our time eh (Dallas vs Phoenix)?

Houston's problem is they have an inside presence ... a superstar player ... but no solid consistent playmaker with a knack for finding open shooters. They are consistent in inconsistency ... which hurts along with injuries.

Anyway ... while Detroit has a very effective bully-boy game it is going to be favourite ... but i may sound crazy ... they are slipping a little bit (emphasise a little bit) ... and the Spurs are falling off that invincibility pedestal as well. I am not so sure now that either team will take out the title this season. It's going to come from a team which has depth and an inside presence.

Reply #72359 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That big toe must have really bothered Yao. He's been going off and completely dominating lately night-in-night-out. And with today's rules that allow for zone defense and tougher defensive rotations... You can't really compare a player today vs players years ago based on stats alone.

Watched the Timberwolves game (Yao went for 30/13) and the look on KG's face in the 2nd half during a Yao free throw was one of disbelief... Yao was scoring against the wolves on double teams with a 3rd man rotating over. It was easy to tell that KG couldn't believe how strong Yao is in the post. They had 2 or 3 guys down there fighting with Yao for position.

Here a quote from Minny's coach.

"I thought in the second and fourth quarter, they imposed their will on us and got it into a tempo that wasn't to our liking. They were force-feeding it to Yao and he was quarterbacking from the post. I thought overall defensively we did as good a job against him as we possibly could. With his strength and brute force, he got deep in the paint and we muscled him as much as we could.

Not only is Yao quarterbacking from the post, but he's starting to be Shaq-like in strength and brute force."

He definitely was not healthy at the beginning of the season. His moves and strength to fight off 2 guys for position in the post is just much stronger now.

Reply #72941 | Report this post

Hey but Yao's the tallest player in the league so he must be able to dominate... i mean that's the argument that went along with Wilt Chamberlain, didnt it?

Reply #72986 | Report this post

52-Cans  
Years ago

ELG, you have just hit the spot! Best comment ever!

To all you people saying Yao Ming shouldn't be expected to leading the league in boards and dominating the scoring please refer to ELG's post above!

ELG I now love you after making that post :)

Reply #73002 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not really; If you look at all the centers right now their numbers aren't going to be as spectacular as it used to. The reason why is defensive rules were laxed if you double team an opponent without possession it was an illegal defense.

Height of a player means nothing when the rules of the game were completely different.

A 25/14 player 4 years ago with todays rule is only a 20/10 player.

Reply #73020 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you compare players purely based on numbers, than you don't jack and have never played basketket at even the middle school level.

This is like comparing Yao to Gasol. Both have similar numbers so therefore Yao is a much inferior player... never mind the fact that Yao faces double teams and defenses reserved for Shaq, Duncan, Wallace.... and Nevermind the fact that Gasol is 0-8 in the playoffs. But for some reason Gasol is considered a better player even though his numbers and averages are lower than Yao and he has better players around him.

Reply #73021 | Report this post

@ (#73020)

What do you call a 50 and 26 player then, these days.

Yao can't take over a game like Gasol. Yao isn't good enough to be a franchise player, whilst Pau has pretty much reshaped that franchise. That's the difference. Houston went 0-12 without Tmac... if Gasol went down i'm sure Memphis would be looking at the same kind of record.

But he still is a great player. You want overrated... try Vince carter. That guys been starting in the all star game for ages, because he can dunk.

Reply #73076 | Report this post

Yu Win Hao  
Years ago

At the end of the day, Yao Ming is not passionate about basketball. He was engineered and manufactured from a young age by a Communist regime to suit their purposes of capitalism and forced to become a basketball player, merely for his height.

See the same (much smaller scale) in Adelaide, young kid, happens to be tall, let's get him into basketball. I remember seeing a huge kid at North playing U10's and the coach remarking "I'll have him dunking as soon as he can catch the ball".

Like Wilt said "No one evers cheers for Goliath over David"

Reply #73097 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yao ming has been killing of late, today 38 points 10 boards and 5 blocks aganist indiana, with t-mac still fighting injury he is really carrying the rockets

Reply #73104 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The rules in this game were changed to favor shooting guards because of some guy named Shaq. When rules changed so did the averages of Tim Duncan and Shaq.

Yao just dropped 38/10 and 5 blocks including a key possession in the win over the pacers in which they were down by 17. Yao can't take over games? He's done it 3 games in a row dropping 32, 30, and 38. Know what you talk about before you talk. Yao has carried the rockets franchise including wins without McGrady who's future is in doubt with chronic back problems. Don't try to troll without facts. Gasol is a good player, but he isn't even in the same league as Yao. Yao get special treatment from opposing defenses (only Shaq and Duncan receives). Gasol gets played straight up, Yao still beats him in a straight up numbers comparison. Yao still beats him in post season wins with an inferior team. Gasol is still 0-8 in the post season despite having a better team around him and weaker defense on him.

Yu Win Hao, go stick your redneck paranoid trash on a political forum. People like you are the reason why the great USA is going down the tubes with such stupidiy.

Reply #73105 | Report this post

52-Cans  
Years ago

Anon #73105, it is true what was said, he got forced into the game.

Also you say cos he has taken over games 3 times in a row he must be able to take them over? What about the past few seasons... don't judge players over a few games dude!

Reply #73112 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

Yu Win Hao,

"He was engineered and manufactured from a young age by a Communist regime to suit their purposes of capitalism and forced to become a basketball player, merely for his height. "

Communists & Capitalism ???

While Yao may have been pushed into the sport by the 'Communists', i dont think that it was for the $$ as you proclaim. I think you will find it is more for the "glory of China" as is often the case, rather than the monetary kickbacks.

While $ makes the world go round, Yao's popularity and maleability makes him an ideal avenue to control the masses.

They love him and they emulate him, thus the government over there can use him as a tool of propaganda to keep everyone in line. *that is the theory anyway.

When Yao says he loves the government a lot of people will agree, just to be like him.

Reply #73114 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lets get some FACTS into the conversation please:

Yeah, Yao got forced into basketball. Like I got forced into preschool. Like I got forced into middle school. Like I got forced into College. Like I got forced into finding a job after college.

Yao was born in the China during the 1980's not the 1850's when American southern whites were forcing slaves to work plantations. Not in the 1700's when American were committing genocide towards the Native Indians. Propoganda, you think our Government adminstration is innocent and don't run their own propoganda. Don't talk about politics on a sports boards especially when you don't have your facts straight. That book about Yao Ming, has the author quoted that he has no proof about his claims about Yao. Don't try to drag that crap into the discussion when the author of that propoganda admitted he had no evidence and is playing off the paranoid Americans for his own $$$ gains. Don't talk about truth's about China fed by a government that lies about weapons of mass descruction or feeds fear about "red China" to controll your pathetic minds that are too afraid to look past and ignore it garbage when you hear it.

Yao has carried the rockets more than 3 games. He has carried them since the all star break..... THE SIMPLE FACT IS, depite having a "meek", "weak" view in the minds of low basketball IQ people, he still performs better than players who have even more hype than him and most everyone is quick to defend (ahem Gasol, he's great but not even in the same class as Yao).

If McGrady would get his head screwed on straight, he would understand why Shaq recommended that he go to Houston and play along side Yao if you wants a chance to win the NBA title. Shaq is champion... and half of you people on this board would quickly call Shaq an idiot to think that Yao would "years from now dominate" like he has been consistently doing since being healthy.

Too bad Yao and Shaq doesn't get to play this season. Because there is no one in this league to better judge Yao than the greatest center playing.

Reply #73129 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

Anonymous (73129)

Clearly you have an axe to grind . Who's being naieve ?

The guy is 7'7 NO no-one would ever force him to play Basketball ?? !!
Idiot.

Look at Chinas record in the last 40 years with sports camps and programs that screen kids with athletic prowess, and basically deny them of a proper education and a childhood- and turn them into uber athletes.

"Dont talk about politics on sports boards ..."

Open forum . Open forum . Do you know what that means ? It means i am free to talk about politics or any other subject i like on here.

Assuming you come from the US (your reference to college was a giveaway) you should have had that idea of "freedom" stuck up your ass by your government now for at least 20 years.
Australians hate it almost as much as Americans do when people tell us what we can and cant say.

I have just one more thing to say to you " where the bloody hell are ya ? " lol

Reply #73162 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Which country that doesn't compete in the olympics have sports camps? Some parents in other "free / democratic" countries (there is no such thing) "force" their children to sports camp because they have little else to do in their free time..... Boo hoo, awwww thats such bad slavery, go cry a river. Such forced boot camps.... Its so sad to what that kid sweat and work hard and have fun. Man those kids should sue.

Yao is listed at 7'6" get your facts straight you dumb pile of shit. Any tall kid in any country would have scouts in their playground getting the kid to sign up to local leagues... man thats slavery, man its such damanding harsh labor, those kids should sue too.

It may be open forum, but if you can't discuss anything relavant, that makes you a dumbass that you proven to be with your lack of facts (see Yao's height)

Freedom is the ideal to work for. It is not a reality. I need to go to work like everyone else in this world to enjoy my free time doing what I love to do. Get it through your thick head you dumb shit.

Let me see, I was born and raised in America. Served in the Navy for 6 years... in Japan, South Korea, and Australia. I been around the world a few times over.

Reply #73170 | Report this post

Years ago

What makes you better than anyone else because you were in the Navy? Even the Village People did that

Reply #73174 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boohoo cry yourself a river.

Reply #73179 | Report this post

Yu Win Hao  
Years ago

Hands up anyone who has made a comment about China and actually been to China? Know any Chinese people personally? Not just from reading books or told in school.

Yes, communism and capitalism. You think the leaders of China aren't rich beyond their wildest dreams? You think a few individuals don't profit substantially from making everyone believe in the glory of China?

You're right Skyhook, they do use Mao to control the people, to what end? To make money and remain in power.

I'm lucky, my parents defected and got out so I could be raised free. And yes, there is such a thing as freedom.

Also, I'm glad to see some intellectual people on this chat who actually do know a bit about the world around them. Quite rare in the States ;)

Reply #73181 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I visited Hong Kong many times. You think the leaders of America or any country aren't Rich beyond your wildest dreams? It takes money to have political power, anywhere. You think a few individuals in any country such as America doesn't profit substantially from making everyone believe that America is #1 at everything? Thats true anywhere, so whats your point.

And political leaders of any other country doesn't. How do you think people like Hitler, Hilary Clinton, Tony Blair, and George Bush stay in power.

Every developed country, and yes China is a developed country now. Has rich, has poor, has corrupt, has honest people living in it.

You want to learn about the world kiddo. Turn off your CNN / Fox news channel and go live it.

Reply #73186 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ELG your a dickhead if you think vince carter is over rated

Reply #73199 | Report this post

ummmmmm so your whole argument is based on the fact that someone got his height wrong by 1 inch.

*slowly claps*

Reply #73211 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Raises hand for #73181 - three months in 1991 and a week in 2004.

I personally don't really buy into the sensationalised story that Yao was "forced" into it against his will. I'm sure he was encouraged and I'm sure that sometimes he grew tired of hard trainings, but I think that's common to all athletes in any country.

Nearly every country has programs in place to identify and develop athletes - no doubt that the Chinese government is heavy-handed and not ideal, but a lot of cultural differences exist.

Reply #73213 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ELG it completely shows how lazy and stupid someone is to make criticism without even facts. Just like it is to mention stupid polical things of Yao and his basketball "boot camp" (like this doesn't exist everywhere), without fact. Kids everywhere are tapped / developed and encourage into doing what they do best, thats why education systems and sports systems exists.

Facts not fiction.

Reply #73217 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac, on that note: Take a look at the number of kids that get corporate sponsorship and six-seven figure dollars before they even reach pro potential (like 12 year olds). The majority never panned out, but the kid's parents got rich none-the-less.

On that same note we should punish Tiger's woods father for letting Tiger swing such a dangerous golf club at such a young age (3 years old).... and "forcing" him to "labor" so "tirelessly" at his game. Tiger Woods represents all that is wrong in this world. He was a manufactered athelete rolled off the assembly line............. wahhhh wahhh wahhh

Get real and deal with reality.

Reply #73218 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

I love the kettle of worms this thread has turned into .

ELG thanks - i am really appalled that i got Yao's height wrong buy one inch!! OMG -there goes my argument ;p

Anonymous (73170)
I guess being in the Navy for 6 years makes you an expert.

I have been to China many times. Therefore i know more than you so naaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh - is that what you are saying ?

You must have been pretty bored on that boat ?

Reply #73232 | Report this post

Shaun  
Years ago

Yao will be the next dominate center in the NBA. he has a team that is being built around him. Development will come.

Lets compare guards/forwards to centres for a while...

Andrew Bogut: new rookie coming in start for the bucks. averaging under 10 boards, a few rebounds a few assists. nothing major.

compare him to another rookie, chris paul.

Paul has been tearing up the court. averaging over 15, plenty of assists etc

Guards develop quicker then Centers, its as simple as that. Forget about Yao's previous seasons, the guy is stepping up big. i was just happy that i drafted him into my fantasy game a week ago! he is playing well, houston are winning games again and yet people are still critising him.

Reply #73235 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

Shaun

I agree with most of what you said except that you would compare Bogut to Paul .

No you would not ! Why ? , because Paul has the ball in his hands all game and can shoot it at will. There is no doubt that currently he is a more complete player (and he may always be) BUT Bogut has NO PLAYS , and barely touches the ball in-range , therefore i think he is a hell of a lot more developed than people give him credit for.

Bogut is one of the most productive guys in the league. Check out rookie rankings on NBA.com , then add the intangibles like - he knows how to set a screen and pass the ball from the top of the key , he runs the floor well and shoots a good % .
He DOES everything his coach and team asks of him .

And he plays behind 2 of the best (and most prolific) shooters in the league - Redd and Mo. Not to mention Simmons who jacks it up a lot too.

Yao is a good player when he is aggressive, his numbers could improve - but who really cares a 19.9 and 9 guy is no lesser a centre than a 20 and 10 guy IMO. He'll never be more than a 20 and 10 guy.

Reply #73236 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yao will never be more than 20/10 or Bogut? Have you seen Yao's performances since the All Star break? Last five games he's averaging 28.6 PPG, 11.6 RPG and 3 BPG, shooting at 53% and would be copping a lot of defensive pressure. I think he's doing pretty well.

Reply #73238 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Skyhook, nice try trying to criticize me. But its only a try, I don't care how many times you've claimed to visit China. I am of Vietnamese and Chinese decent and am aware of you silly little political pigeonholing of the Chinese. Nice try child. If you want to play the political game, bring facts to the matter. You want to talk about asian culture. Bring it on and I will show you how stupid have proven yourself to be with your Chinese ideals from a sensationalized book.

And again you've displayed your lack of basketball knowledge with the statement that Yao will never be more than a 20/10 player. Another claim without any facts.

Do you want to continue to display your stupidy of not only basketball and of asian culture?

Bring it on.

Reply #73248 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

Was not saying that about Bogut . You watch - Yao's numbers will even out .

Reply #73251 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For anyone that has watched Yao's developement as a person. Not really as a basketball player, its quite easy to understand what has happened to Yao since he's come back from injury. Sure the extra strength and quickness helps but that is not really it.

Since Yao has came into the league, he has always been unsure of himself. Afraid of failure, afraid he won't get the ball if he misses. Afraid that players won't accept him because he's a foreigner. Playing timidly, not sure why JVG wants him to develop a Shaq like game when he has the skills to shoot jumpers. When this season began he the rockets went 0-whatever without McGrady, and everyone wanted Yao to be traded Mentally the pressure had him on rock bottom every game and visually during game you could see he had a frustrated look in his eyes.

The Rockets poor record, being written off, Tracy and Yao being injured has been the best thing to happen to the Rockets organization. When you are a person that TRULY BELIEVES that you are helping the organization and have NOTHING really to lose... That NOTHING CAN BE WORSE than this, and you are dealing with it fine.... You realize what you really are and what you need to do. You can see the fire in Yao's eye's now, it doesn't matter how many people are slapping him, it doesn't matter what they try to do... that his combination of moves can not be stopped throughout the course of a game. He had back to back games where he started off shooting 2-12.... and finished off with 30+ points and 50% shooting. He's calling for the ball and shouting at his team to give him the ball, ride him to the win.

What we are seeing from Yao since the all-star break is a person who knows EXACTLY what he needs to be to help the rockets, there is no DOUBT in his mind anymore about his role and what he means to his teammates around him. Its a mental break through for Yao. He realizes that no one can stop him down in the paint. He realizes his team mates have full belief in him and will give him the ball when he commands it.

Yao is playing the way a man who has all his self doubts answered. He knows that he has the developed the ability now to take over games. And his team mates realize and rally around him.

This is why Yao is posting the numbers he has been posting since returning. This is the reason why the team has rally'd around Yao. And thats the reason why the Rockets are winning games and have turned this season around and making a run for a playoff spot.

Reply #73262 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

"Nice try child" --LOL :p Comeback of the week !!

I am very much over this "debate" with you anon.

It obvious that you know more about the world than I do (violins playing) and that my NBA knowledge is inferior to yours.

I tell you what , at the end of the season if Yao is averaging lets say 27 pts, 15 rebounds a game --I will make a public apology on this website to you. Until then... you can rant all you like.

Reply #73279 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You still haven't backed up any of your political comments about chinese or asians with any evidence or educated knowledge of anything whatsoever. Nor have you backed up your evidence of Yao being no greater than a 20/10 player.

So in other words, I don't need "comebacks". The notion of "comebacks" is only something you are capable of, because you are too stupid to provide evidence or support for your claims. As for you no longer commenting, thats a good thing, you don't have the balls to support your claims to continue.

Yao will not be able to average 27+ points per game, and that is not a number you will see from the center position again. You can thank the NBA for changing to rules so 1-on-1 defense isn't happening for a long time.

Yao just needs to average more than 20/10 to make you the idiot you are.

Want to make any more stupid comments about Asian culture / government / politics or Yao's averages?

Reply #73281 | Report this post

Yu Win Hao,  
Years ago

Man, all I said was I didn't think Yao Ming was passionate about the game of basketball and it was probably because of what happened in China.

Does anyone realise his parents were selected to breed by the government? Not out of love, but because they were tall and would produce a tall child who could play basketball.

This is not necessarily about China or politics, it's about a boy who turned into a man, without any real say about what he wanted to do. I'm sure he's happy being adored internationally and being a millionaire now.

Reply #73284 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yu Win Hao - what proof do you have? Encouraged and selected would be different things at the very least.

Reply #73285 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The problem with all that Yu Win Hao, is that none of what you claim about Yao is PROVEN to be true; so is not the truth. There are plenty of people out there who want to make money off of Yao's fame, if that means making up stories and playing off of people's insecurities.. whats to stop that.

The reason why it is about China and Politics is because your claims about Yao and China are the same that a certain number of politcal parties uses to induce fear within the voting public's mindset and sell themselves as the strong leaders that will protect your "freedom" from that. You can claim it not to be political propoganda all you want, it doesn't mean that it isn't or that you aren't spreading lies.

Yao was a young boy that is educated like we all are. Yao developed a gift for basketball and was sponsored by government programs.... just like Tiger Woods developed a gift for golf... and was sponsored by companies to pay for his golf equipment and T-time.... Just like school sports programs in America is sponsored by the government. Judging by his english, and his chinese, he is very well versed and educated like Tiger Woods is. Do you think any of that has to do with him not having a choice, or freedom? Yao like Tiger chose to learn and develop a work ethic, and both don't want to be considered a failure in what they do... they both chose not to be a whiney lazy lard ass.

Do yourself a favor, and book a visit to Shanghai, or Hong Kong. There are plenty of vacation plans, visit there as soon as you can.

Reply #73292 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

I think Yu Win Hao may be referring to this book.

Sports Illustrated ran an excerpt from the book, and Time has the same piece here (it's reasonably lengthy but really quite interesting). There haven't been howls of protests or threats of lawsuits from the Yao camp that the book is way off track or incorrect, as far as I've heard.

I'd suggest that rather than using either encouraged or selected (without quotemarks), it could be fairer to say they were "encouraged" (with the quotemarks).

Reply #73305 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

My impression when the book was first publicised is that it was largely speculative, and even fear-mongering. Wouldn't the Americans like to believe that the only reason for the rise of Chinese athletes is that they're engineered, and not because the nation has a much larger selection pool, variance in culture and a greater investment in training programs like our AIS.

If you're 7'+ in any country and remotely co-ordinated you're going to be encouraged to play basketball.

How many parents of other athletes are together as the result of arranged or co-erced marriages without having a book written about it?

Reply #73309 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The sad part of this is that considering that so many American kids themselves are obsessed with "engineering their bodies" with supplements / steriods etc... to look like WWE "wrestlers". You could also apply this plastic surgery. Selling such fiction as fact about Chinese atheletes to people with such obsessions aren't hard at all.

Reply #73316 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yao Ming just happens to be that 1 in 2 billion. There is a reason why other Chinese players haven't measured up to Yao's standards. The combination of height, physical ability, drive to work smart, work hard to improve oneself is just that rare.

I think the main reason why you haven't heard anything from the Yao camp threatning lawsuit is because all that does is help promote the book. Making the author even richer. The author of that book is a lifelong sleeze ball that has made a living writing lies at the expense of anyone he can. No reason for the Yao camp to raise the flag and make him rich.

Reply #73317 | Report this post

Stop comparing Tiger and yao. Tiger is one of the greatest golfers ever, and yao is just another player.

Reply #73318 | Report this post

Yu Win Hao  
Years ago

All valid points.

As for comment about visiting Shanghai and Hong Kong, you really think that's the real China? Shanghai and HK are technically part of China, but they are nothing like China at all.

I actually wasn't referring to the book, but thanks for showing it to me Issac. I was referring to real life experiences and from stories my father and grandfather told me about growing up in China.

We all know about Yao Ming and Tiger Woods, but what about all the other kids who were "encouraged" to play a sport and never made it? Who hate the sport, hate their familes and never amounted to anything because they were forced into something they didn't want to do.

Imagine how many fathers are now like Tiger's father? Wanting their son/daughter to be the next Tiger, know how many will actually succeed? One. Maybe two. That makes for a lot of unhappy children.

Reply #73319 | Report this post

Yu Win Hao  
Years ago

Ha, Publishers Weekly lists him as 7'5". I think that's funny in light of earlier statements on this forum!

Reply #73320 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

Brook Larmer seems to be reputable. He's worked all over the world. He still lives in Shanghai (I think I'm just getting over the fact that he's a he, and not a she - I'll admit I saw Brook and just assumed!)

I just don't know if he'd go to the trouble of putting a book out and his reputation on the line to advance an argument which was factually wrong and speculative.

There's a Q&A with him here. It also namedrops the NBL (but as the "Australian basketball league").

Reply #73321 | Report this post

Yu Win Hao  
Years ago

Attn: (#73292)

You're American right? I like it how you say that unless it's proven to be truth, it's not truth. Just because it's not proven, doesn't mean it's a lie, it just means it's not proven.

I also like it (I assume it's you, since you won't write under a name) how you mentioned stop watching CNN/Fox news, yet when you talk about China you talk about Hong Kong and Shanghai.

Such a bloody hypocrite. I've met American Navy guys before, you don't see the world, you see bars and hookers all over the world and drink Budweiser and eat McDonalds and claim to have seen the world and have some knowledge of it.

Reply #73322 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ELG a player that commands the same defensive rotations that Shaq and Tim Duncan is hardly "just another player". A player that for years was shut down by those same defensive rotations and now is able to dominate through all that hacking and fouling is hardly "just another player". He hasn't one a championship yet or had the players around him to make it deep into the post season, I give you that. But how big an impact a player really is can be measured by the defense against them.

Yu Win Hao:
Do you really think that Hawaii, Alaska, New York, Los Angelos or Houston are technically part of America? All are so different in culture than the vast land mass of people who live along the country side.

All countries have went through hardships. If you ask a person who lived in America's ghetto most their lives what do you think their response of what America is?... It is smart that your father and Grand Father are telling you nightmarish stories of China and you have such a negative view of China, its to protect you from the political backlash you would recieve from all the anti-China politics going on. If you are an American and aren't anti-China, than that makes you yellow-belly-communist-loving-freedom-hating-chink. Thats what your parents are protecting you from.

Yu Win Hao.... what can you say, there is not a requirement that stupid people are not allowed to breed and raise children. Tiger's parent do not fall into that category.

Reply #73325 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

America is a darn large country. What ever you experience in one city doesn't apply to the whole country. Same with China. Same with Australia. Same in any country until you start seeing, people every really are pretty much the same. Human nature and behavior.

If its not proven that still makes it fiction. And if you use that fiction in a spiteful manner towards someone, yes you are a hater and would be spreading lies. For some spiteful reason you want prove yourself to be politically superior to Yao, why else would you be spreading non-factual information? You must want Yao's job and fame.

As for my name its Alan Nguyen. I don't bother registering with this site just to have to check off items to not get sent junk mail.. why bother. I'll just quote my name from now on if it makes you happy.

I'm sorry you've met a bunch of knuckheaded deck grunts. Those are plenty in any country. Doesn't matter if they are American or German or Australian, grunts are grunts. Some people actually spend their offtime enjoying playing sports or learning about the game of bball or other sports.

- Alan Nguyen

Reply #73326 | Report this post

Yu Win Hao  
Years ago

I'm actually now a proud Aussie.

My comment was, if you want to experience what most of China is like, don't go to Shanghai or Hong Kong. Same with if I wanted to experience real American, I wouldn't only go to Hawaii or Alaska.

Despite some harsh words, I think we've actually got 3 (perhaps more, hard to keep track) very intelligent guys who pretty much have the same view point on many things. Each person thinking the others are sheltered and ignorant, when in reality, none of us are.

I apologise if I offended anyone on here.

By the way, I'm sticking to just because it's not proven beyond a shadow of a doubt, doesn't make it untrue and fiction.

Reply #73327 | Report this post

Alan Nguyen  
Years ago

Bo Hamburger:
Brook Larmer is a career long political writer. As long as he appeals to his audience his job and reputation is safe because his red-china stories are accepted by his audience (mostly neoconservatives or paranoid people or insecure people who just want to hate on Yao). On top of that he knows that Yao Ming is a foreign player Chinese player in an American league. His book won't cause much of an uproar in the Asian communinity as most aren't even aware of the book to begin with.... maybe years from now it may become an issue when Yao becomes more famous. But realistically, he won't have many political organizations to wrestle with. Now if there happened to be a famous African player playing in an American sports league from some oppressive tribal African country.... and he wrote a book in that light, you can bet the NAACP will hang him, and there would be a congressional hearing over that book. As is stands the asian (much less chinese) population in America isn't very large (if they are than its simply localized to certain areas) and the # of Chinese decended polititians are a needle in a haystack.... none of which hold influencing political power at the senate level.

Reply #73328 | Report this post

Yu Win Hao  
Years ago

Alan, I take it you're of Vietnamese decent?

Reply #73329 | Report this post

Alan Nguyen  
Years ago

Yu Wi Hao, my father is Vietnamese and my mother is Chinese. I was born during the Vietnam Civil / American war in the 1970s. Parents left to America when I was 1 years old, father served in South Vietnamese army which was how we got our ticket to America. Been to back to Vietnam for several months last year. The communist party of old is the country has fallen from influence. Not much of an economy or a currency system in that country, a lot is still undeveloped but much better than it used to be as homes are made of brick and solid unlike all the wood and straw photos of homes during the vietnam war era. The rural areas aren't that much different than rural China. Very beautiful, battle field scars are gone... just like rural China its very beautiful..... nothing like what you would see from a starving 3rd would nation. It still has its ghetto's like any country, but nothing like out of the war torn pictures.

Cities like Saigon are still about 40 years behind Shanghai and Hong Kong, in that there's working electicity and telephone system.... Wireless phones and being put in; plumbing and sewage is being exapanded.

Its too bad that the Vietnam had a corrupt political party that pocketted some of the foreign corporate investment money during the early 90's... that slowed down the investment and development of major cities. But corruption is true anywhere, in America they would be called lobbyist who suck up money.

Reply #73332 | Report this post

Years ago

MUCH MUCH earlier i noticed in this heated discussion ... KG ... looking dumbfounded and a quote ... obviously stating how Yao had dominated the T-Wolves.

Yao is playing well. I guess that's why the Rockets haven't beaten the Suns in the last two games ... and that last one ... with Boris Diaw at center!

Seriously Yao has improved since his injury. Some of you guys here need to take a cold shower. Yao is a good player ... but any half decent team will find a way to shut him down.

Only two ways his stats can go ... nowhere or up.

Reply #73348 | Report this post

Alan Nguyen  
Years ago

eThe main reason it takes a post player longer to develop is that larning how to handle the physicality of post play and developing the post moves / counter moves when you lean against your opponent takes a long time. Especially when different teams do different things to you down the post... and especially when officials are inconsisent about what is a foul and what isn't. Gaurd play is much easier to officiate.

What you see in Yao now is a player that has developed those post moves and counter moves. Some combination of post moves are just unstopable throughout the course of a game. The suns were able to shut down Yao one game (the one before the all-star break). In the following game against the their same double / triple team rotation he went for 27/18.

And look at the Indiana Pacers; Who've defended Yao over the years better than anyone else. 38/10/5, the entire Pacer bench should have fouled out against him (Just like the Minny bench almost did). Those double and triple team rotations couldn't stop him, he simply kicked the ball out and had Houston's guard repost him with even better position. Thats what you look for out of your center.... When a team's center is playing offensive quarterback, than he's developed Championship basketball skills... Now everything else around him needs to be sorted out. The same ppl who have mugged Yao in the past, he has been starring them down as he's been throwing down him post moves on them. You can stop any player by rotating 3 players on 1 guy, but that leaves a person open and Houston is one of the worst outside shooting teams. That reflects on Yao's numbers.

Yao's got the Spurs defense up next.

Reply #73349 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Houston has always struggled on outside shooting. Its been Yao vs the entire Phoenix team + brick shooting Rocket guards. Give Rocket Steve Nash and see what happens. Suns fans should enjoy their wins as much as they can; they don't have the inside post player to win a championship.

Funny thing was when Nash started his career, wasn't he called another white boy that can't jump?

Reply #73357 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

#73357.
The Suns don't have a post player? Have you ever heard of a guy named Amare Stoudemire?
If you don't think he is good enough to help them win a champoinship, then you seriously need a reality check.
The guy made the All-NBA Second Team last year PLAYING OUT OF POSITION.
Now if that is not good enough, then I'm sure that Amare is sorry that he is not up to your standards.

Reply #73367 | Report this post

Yes, they have an inside presence, Amare Stoudemire. You know, the guy Houston should of picked instead of Yao?

Reply #73374 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And you think Amare Stoudamire is suddenly going to return from major knee surgery to be the high flying jumper he once was after missing the entire season? Hmm, look at what happened to Jim Jackson and most any NBA player after knee injuries. Ankle is one thing; Knee is major.

Reply #73378 | Report this post

Years ago

I am not hopeful that Stoudemire will return this season ... he will have to return for at least 10 games before the playoffs to get match conditioning ... maybe more and to get used to the style of play. Yes a knee injury is big and without that presence the Suns will get eaten alive by the Spurs if current seedings stay the same.

I do also believe ... that ... one Shaquille O'Neal said the future of the NBA was in Amare Stoudemire. Hmmm. Whoever said that Nash if he was at the Rockets would make a mess of opposition is right. With Yao's size it would open up the court for McGrady ... just like it has for Shawn Marion (since Nash has been there).

So chase down a high quality playmaker Yao fans and email the Rockets to stop the torture lol.

Reply #73385 | Report this post

Years ago

Isn't Rafer Alston supposed to be a "high quality playmaker"?

Reply #73386 | Report this post

Alan Nguyen  
Years ago

Rafer Alston is a good ball handler with above average passing skills for a point guard; His shot making is horrible, he isn't hesitant to take shots, but he misses too many open jumpers. He needs to come in early like Yao and work on his jumpers.. What gets me is why Van Gundy loads his roster with old former knicks players who can't produce consistently.

I'm not optomistic that Amare will ever be near the player he was ever again. Its just the reality of knee injury and surgery / tendonitis that will follow.

Reply #73389 | Report this post

Years ago

Well 3 if Rafer Alston is such a high quality playmaker then the Rockets would be atop their division ... granted he is not in the same category as Steve Nash or Chauncey Billups for example ... but if he is such a high quality playmaker why aren't the Rockets playoff bound already? Yes they have had injuries to key players but there are other teams who have made do with injuries and come out better on the other side.

Amare Stoudemire will be wary of his achilles knee for a while. I'd expect him to where a knee guard till at least November this year. He won't be doing severe damage (on court to other teams) this season if he comes back like he did last season. That will be because of his wariness of re-injuring the knee.

Reply #73432 | Report this post

Alan Nguyen  
Years ago

Amare isn't only having problems on his left knee (which was surgically repaired). He now has a bit of problems with fluid build up and wear / tear.... which is no way "normal" for his age. All that high flying balls out jumping took its tool on his knee's. No way he will ever play at that explosive level again, his knees have paid a price for it and its too late.

Reply #73573 | Report this post

Years ago

31, I was being sarcastic about Alston. I've heard so many people go on about how good he is and all the great moves he can do etc but in the NBA he's been just good, never outstanding.

Reply #73596 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Guess who dominated again today .....
Thats right our man yao
36 points 10 boards
Maybe he has come good
The rockets still lost without mcgrady but Yao is showing the way, good on the big man

Reply #73744 | Report this post

Alan Nguyen  
Years ago

Can't blame Yao when the rest of the Rockets shoot 2/12... 1/8 etc. That is just a pathetic supporting cast around Yao. Its impossible to win if your supporting cast is shooting around 25%

Reply #73773 | Report this post

is this thread still alive

Reply #73805 | Report this post

Years ago

It's impossible to win any game Alan if your team is shooting at only 25%.

3 i figured you might be shootin a bit of sarcasm there ... but you scared me for a second.

I will maintain to Houston supporters you NEED a REALLY good point ... not Rafer Alston and you need to be able to have the supporting cast ... start looking for off-season trades.

Reply #74394 | Report this post

get another name  
Years ago

(Mod: Real mature kid.)

Reply #94510 | Report this post

Rick  
Years ago

34pts 14 rebs on Shaq sure makes the haters on this thread look like complete morons

Reply #106285 | Report this post

Years ago

Well Stoudemire seems to be putting up great stats (no pun) ... and seems to be as explosive as he possibly can ... Yao was shut down pretty well against the Suns the other night.

Reply #109254 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yao is a decent player, but nothing special. Just people not understanding basketball pretending he is the best gets everyone pissed off. A really good player doesn't need his team to make him better, a truly good player makes his team better.

Reply #113394 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe it's because he stops for fried rice at the top of the key.

Reply #113404 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow, just noticed this thread's been going on since 14/01/05. If we keep it going for another 11 days it'll be 2 years. Is that some kind of record Isaac or am i getting too excited.
Oops i just did a happy wee...

Reply #113405 | Report this post

Alan Nguyen  
Years ago

is this still alive?

Reply #125446 | Report this post

Neptuneboy  
Years ago

Ming the man is still with us, yes

Reply #125531 | Report this post

yaosucks  
Years ago

If Yao is Houston's "franchise player", then we have a really bad franchise.

Check out the comments on the Rockets and Yao: http://chinesetalk.proboards51.com/index.cgi?board=basketball&action=display&thread=1178425898

Reply #132855 | Report this post

Reply #143298 | Report this post

yaos the man. hes not my fav but he can beat shaq!shaq sucks bad every one can beat him even boykins. but my fav player is allen iverson.hey ai if u read this im smurfmckinney.

Reply #143299 | Report this post

nbasas4life  
Years ago

Can Anyone please, please explain me how the hell is this bitch so damn good at NBA Live 2006? He gets more rebounds than KG, TD, and other guy who overscore him in RPG. He gets like 20 every game, and at least 8 offense ones. Maybe EA designed this game for the chinese assholes to buy it, and be happy getting rebounds and making lots of points with this idiotic 7'7 imbecil. Why cant they make it a decent, realistic game???
Dwight Howard totally kicks this sucker's ass. Give me a break...

Reply #155120 | Report this post

Aram  
Years ago

Yao's got really short armspan for his height and a pretty damn long neck so his standing reach is 'only' 9,7" (which is only two inches higher than Shaq's although Shaq is 4 inches shorter in measured height). That might partially explain why he doesn't get as much rebounds and blocks as one might expect from a 7,5" guy. more importantly, the rockets are doing fine without yao and winning and losing games like they should with or without Yao (apparently, that shows how much of an impact player he is, but he's overpaided too). but why spend so much money on a player who has so little impact on the court? the reason is yao is chinese, so his presence will allow the NBA (especially the rocket's franchise) to attract more airing time (and hence more money) on the chinese money. in short, yao is more of a novelty for cashing in on the chinese market.

Reply #191372 | Report this post

urbabydaddy  
Years ago

The NBA has never seen a person of Yao Mings stature with his skill set ever. So what if he doesnt dunk the ball everytime he has it like Shaq or Dwight Howard. but can Shaq or Dwight Howard ever shoot the ball like he does? the answer is never will they ever develop a jump shot like yaos. one of the rarest arsenal to have in the nba is size that can shoot. its even rarer when the size is 7'6" and can shoot. if you were to have told an nba scout 10 years ago that there was a 7'6" player with yao's skill set, he'd probably slap you for lying... Yao is real!!!

Reply #226235 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:16 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754