Mantis
Years ago

Camby to Clips

NBA sources have stated that Camby is on his way to the Clips in exchange for a second-round draft pick. The Clips get a big to replace Brand, the Nuggets get a reduction in payroll and an increase in points conceded.

Topic #16493 | Report this topic

Quagmire  
Years ago

Ha! Burned me hard. Damn my slow two finger typing!!!!

Someone wanna delete my thread please?

Mod: Done!

Reply #194213 | Report this post

johnny sack  
Years ago

How does this work - i am assuming that the Clips are sending a huge wad of cash over to balance the cash/salary element... I am assuming it works like this - say Camby has a 10m salary and the deemed value of a second rounder is 500k - the Clips have to flick another 9m cash or so to the Nuggs to make it work???

Reply #194215 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

If the clips are under the cap, can they just eat the difference?
I though there was a rule against this....

Reply #194216 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

I'm surprised Denver would want to do this as they looked like the team could gel quite well this season and go deeper into the playoffs. Maybe personality issues there made him get his marching orders

Reply #194217 | Report this post

johnny sack  
Years ago

I think you are right Quagmire... Wow - what a "visionary" move by Denver`s front office... Denver lineup???: Iverson/Smith/Melo/Kleiza/Nene - Frightening (and I don`t mean in a good way)... Not so bad from the Clips POV to be honest...

Reply #194218 | Report this post

Mantis  
Years ago

Clips are under the cap due to Brand leaving, so salaries don't have to match. You only have to match salaries in a trade when teams are over the cap.

The Nuggets were in luxury tax territory, so shedding Camby's contract is worth double to them in pure $ terms. The decision would be purely financial, IMHO.

Reply #194219 | Report this post

yay!  
Years ago

Nuggets get $11 million in TE... and also they have 30 million $$ worth of expirings to use in 09-10 and hit it big in the FA.

it's not that bad.

my bet is that they'll offer the 11 million TE for Ron Artest.

Reply #194221 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

It is a salary dump by the Nuggets. they off load Camby - AI's contract is up at the end of this season. Try and move Kenyon Martin and Nene in the enxt 2 years (good luck trying to move those big contracts) - then try and land someone like LeBron/ Wade/Bosh in the 2010 Free Agent sweepstakes.

Reply #194222 | Report this post

johnny sack  
Years ago

I think they are trying to carte blanche with this. They going to blow it all up and start over - when they traded for AI the general consensus was that it was a now (or at least within the next 2-3 years) or never type deal - much like the Celts deal - which was an example of that gambit paying off.

The window of opportunity is closed and they know it... Artest doesnt want to play in Denver (and why would anyone want that cancer on their team???).

Reply #194227 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

This is awesome news, woooo... Clippers should still have some cap space I would think, so hopefully they can snag a shooter to replace maggette and get a good point guard

Reply #194231 | Report this post

olskoolgamer  
Years ago

Umm get a good PG? B-Diddy?

Clips could be alright this season. But Camby's what, 34? Shot blockers normally have a decent shelf life, e.g. Mutumbo, alonzo, etc, but he must be declining from here and he always has injuries.

Reply #194233 | Report this post

johnny sack  
Years ago

Dodgy heart as well??? - i can remember when he was at U Mass he cause some scares with some fainting episodes...

Reply #194242 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

now this is a steal! denver gets an "option" to exchange 2nd round picks in 2010. so clips still get a 2nd round pick in 2010. so clips' lost absolutely NOTHING in this trade! clips can't go wrong with this!

Reply #194254 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Great move by the Clips which means they will leave Okafor alone (woohoo).

I like this move for them. It's going to be interesting to see Kaman and Camby play together. I can see Kaman doing the majority of the defensive heavy-work guarding the post and Camby being used as the weakside defender. Camby's blocks and steals stats could be even better than they already are.

I do see the Clips needing a big time scoring small forward. Both Camby and Kaman ain't huge scorers and they need to replace the 20ppg they lost in Brand. Davis and Gordon and a much better Thornton will help.

Reply #194255 | Report this post

olskoolgamer  
Years ago

Well I think its not a case of they can't go wrong. Yeah they didn't give up any players in the trade, but they gave up cap space. So its the equivalent of signing Camby on as a free agent for his 8 or so mil a year for two years. Clips must have made this decision to go with a lower cost option rather than joining the Josh Smith/Okafor bidding.

When you look at it like that, who would you have chased as a free agent:

Smith at 13 mil a year for 5 years
Okafor at 10 mil a year for 5 years
Camby for 8 mil a year for 2 years

Camby actually isn't a bad option if you look at it like that, a lot lower risk and lower cash, and they can still be players in the 2010 free agent market.

Reply #194265 | Report this post

M Dizzle  
Years ago

Al Thornton is the bigtime scorer at SF, i think he's ready to post near 20 a game already

Reply #194281 | Report this post

TC  
Years ago

Hah it's a great trade for the Clipps. Denver did it for financial reasons, must have decided their squad wasn't getting anywhere, especially considering the money they have been spending. Also makes them possibly the worst defensive team.. Makes me wonder if AI will be next to go.. win win for the Clipps, even if it doesn't work out, he's an expiring the following season.

Reply #194283 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

forgot how diddy, how stupid... i think they still need some role players on bench though, but can see them finally getting some respect this season after their last few seasons falling short

Reply #194298 | Report this post

Naughty Naughty  
Years ago

Now the Nuggets are really screwed. I wouldn't be surprised if Iverson and/or Melo were also traded before the season ends. I'm thinking that the Denver GM/ owner is thinking that it is time to rebuild. I don't how deep the next couple of drafts are going to be, but i reckon that Denver could get a couple of quality role players + 1st & 2nd round picks for melo and Iverson.

Mod: Moved post from other thread now deleted

Reply #194303 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

The Nugs are screwed for the next season, but they have solved some money issues. This deal can't be graded until the Nugs have used the TE.

Given the fact that Camby is worth double his contract due to the Nugs being over the cap then they are saving roughly $22 million next season. They are still currently over the cap, but not totally spilling blood Knicks style.

TE like this expire after twelve months so the Nugs still has the option of using the $10 million trade exception generated in the deal. They could use it right now, but more likely they will hang on to it until next year's draft and see who becomes available because using it.

As mentioned, Iverson expires at the end of the season. They don't use the TE, let AI expire and a few others then they will have close to $30 mill of the books. Melo is signed up, Smith will be resigned, Nene is signed up and Kleiza is in the bag. All these guys are currently under the age of 25. Use this cap space to replace AI with a younger star and reload for another tilt.

Nugs are definately lotto bound next season without a doubt, but they become serious players just before the draft and in 2010 FA class with Lebron and co.

Reply #194334 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Considering the rumors of Melo leaving Denver as well; I'm fairly sure Iverson would want out too considering he'll end up in another Philli situation should Melo leave.

Reply #194340 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Denver walking a tight-rope here....
They need to be all about Melo coz he is a potential game winner, but he will surely bolt if he sees Denver going no-where. They have to convince him that they are about winning and not about the team being a product for owner income...

Reply #194346 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i'd blame it on the coach. the team really weren't that bad when you look at it, you have 2 legit scorer, athletic forward in martin (though he been injured alot) legit post defense...before boykins left, you also had a decent 6th man off the bench. so i'd first blame on coach then the denver gm for all this. they should've pursued guys like rick aldeman (houston coach) who plays a great free flowing offense that would've suited AI, Melo and Martin

Reply #194359 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:57 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754