Skin
Years ago

Most Over-rated NBL Player

Don't know if this topic has come up before, but I was just reading an article that said Willie Mason was the NRLs most over-rated player and was interested to see peoples opinions on this in the NBL.

For both Import and Local player??

Topic #16496 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

rhys carter, he shudnt be in the league hes terrible
luke kendall is also overrated!

Reply #194232 | Report this post

Moody Tuesday  
Years ago

Cecil Exum

Reply #194237 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

Daniel Joyce

Reply #194238 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i'll probably get thumped for this....andrew gaze? i mean he a good player no doubt about that, but anyone think he's over promoted. i mean clearly guys like andrew bogut's way better than gaze ever was but then gaze is far better known than bogut. gaze's just more a tv character born in the right time (time of michael jordan)

also fully agree with rhys carter

Reply #194244 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Import- Rychart
Local- Anstey.
Now let's sit back and wait for the fireworks....

Reply #194245 | Report this post

johnny sack  
Years ago

Nah you won`t get thumped for ot anon... people will just feel sorry for you...

Reply #194247 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Yeah because heaps of people who are over rated averaged 40 points in a season...

Over rated are always the imports that come here with big NBA wraps or big self promotion, like the Wildcats guy last year that what was it quicker than Iverson?

Fuller would have to be the biggest over rated, first round pick that got cut.

Jo Jo English...he is a Chicago Bull baby, oh wait but that doesn't mean he is any good.

Kings imports have traditionlly been over hyped.

Reply #194248 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

An career average of 30 points a game including 4 or 5 seasons around the 37 point mark.
Rookie of the year
MVP 7 times
Scoring title about 15 times
NBL 1st team about 15 times too
amongst probably 100 other accolades.

Absolutely overrated.

Reply #194249 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

JEROME BEASLEY!
god that guy is just proof that if ur tall and big you can make the nba
came over here with all the hype and struggled tremednously, anstey dominated him

Reply #194250 | Report this post

Squizzy  
Years ago

NBL - Dwayne "the snake" Nelson.
Could certainly play & at times was great to watch, but also had some shocking games where he appeared 1/2 asleep & just kept turning it over.

He was still a way better player than Paris McCurdy for example - but then I suspect that no one ever rated him so in that case he doesn't fit the over rated category.

Andre Gaze only ever got in the starting 5 because his dad was coach. :)

Reply #194257 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

#422 - Saying that Andrew Gaze is over-rated is the stupid thing I have read on this forum and I have read some stupid things - very wise that you psoted that anonymously.

Reply #194258 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

I remember Jo Jo being a HUGE bust for the hype.

Other import names that jump to mind that were REALLY hyped are Drew Barry, Thalo Green and way back when Milt Newton came here with lots of build up and two crappy knees went home and was quietly replaced by one Robert Rose.

Can't really pick on too many NBL non-imports, but I will say that anyone who thinks Gaze was over-rated is a complete tool. Anyone who thinks he is anything less than Australia's greatest EVER basketballer has no idea.

Reply #194260 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Actually, in as far as over-rated for local players.

Not because they were completely crap (although they weren't great) but really because NO-ONE could live up to the BS. The two "Next Andrew Gazes" stand out.

Aaron Trahair and Frank Drmic.

Reply #194261 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

Ben Pepper never really lived up to the hype ... not saying that he is a bad player - he was touted to be a lot better

Reply #194263 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

I wholeheartedly agree Dicko......Frank Drmic for sure....god, was he ever over-rated by the Melbourne press (Andrew Johnstone especially), i never ever saw him have a good game, certainly not in the vein of the "next Gaze" .

Reply #194264 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cant believe someone said Gaze . Even when kept him quiet he got 25 + points. super star . We need him at these olympics to score from outside.
I agree Jo jo English , Jeff Brown and another guard who was flop here and went back U S A and did ok . Name escapes me. I agree with Dicko for local you cant go past Trahair and Drimic. I always thought Smith was over rated although could have a good 3 point night now and again

Reply #194266 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ELG Has stated that Gaze is overated before, that just proves what a stupid comment that is!!

Reply #194268 | Report this post

bluey  
Years ago

194266 - Rick Brunson

He was too bad, his attitude got in the way most of the time though. He never missed a shot, but his attitude sure did.

Reply #194269 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

I think you are thinking of Rick Brunson and if you are thinking he was over rated there is seriously something wrong with you. His stats were 22ppg, 6apg, 4rpg, 2spg. He helped us make it to the semi finals with a pretty average (but young and upcoming) team. I'm sure the Perth people still remember him waving them good bye in the quarter finals. The guy was a very good player and won the team MVP I believe!

Reply #194270 | Report this post

NPBHS  
Years ago

What about Oriene Green. Not saying he was overrated, but he came into the league from the NBA and really didn't quite adapt to the NBL playing struggle.
All i remember is he turned it over alot.

Reply #194271 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

On this whole Gaze thing - Gaze is the benchmark to which every Australian player will be compared for at least the next 15 - 20 years. How can someone be overrated if they are the bench mark ?

Reply #194272 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I quite like Gaze- not sure if I think he got a gig due to his dad as such, but I definately stopped being a Tigers fan when he retired- I liked the Tigers of yesteryear and their cleaner style of play and professionalism.
Coming to Brisband and having players, coaches and staff pick fights with our fans on OUR home turf on the last 3 occasions is asking for trouble and disrespect.
On another note, nobody has to agree with anyone.
We were asked for our opinions and we gave em- that's all that was expected.

Reply #194273 | Report this post

Apollo86  
Years ago

Time warp time.

Andrew Gaze was not over rated, however he played in a Tigers team full of some donkeys at times in the mid 80s and at times had little support. I remember seeing on tv him in an all star game and Ken Cole (when at Newcastle) was coaching - Ken in the time out huddles certainly rated him!!!!

Who was the Bullets player who came with huge wraps from the NBA in the late 80's??? 1987???Winston Crite???

Geelong Supercats had some guy in 86 -87ish who scored 40plus in his first game with jet lag then went quiet. Dane Suttle was another guy they had with big wraps.

I recall Tom Schafer being referred to as a "Michael Jordan type player" when signed by the Sixers!!!! Must have missed it!!!! He was better playing district.

Most over rated - Shane Heal !!!!!Liked him at the start Bullets / Supercats days - feel his ego got in the way of ability at time.

Who would be the most over rated coach in NBL ????

Reply #194274 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

Just cos it is an opinion doesn't mean it can still be wrong

Reply #194275 | Report this post

MAZE  
Years ago

Brian Goorjian.

won titles yes. but without his stacked teams, would he have done such a good job?

Reply #194276 | Report this post

Pea  
Years ago

(#194244) I feel like thumping you for that!

Tonny Jensen; Mark Nash.

Reply #194278 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Apollo86

Crite was the first NBA roster player to play here

The Geelong guy you are thinking of is Bobby Locke who played his first game against the sixers at Apollo and i think went for 46 or so. Not bad seeing he was less than 6 foot, remember him doing dunks in warm up

And Tom Schafer was that athletic Paul Rees would look like some sought of Roman god next to him.

Dare i say that Ken Cole was the most over rated coach? One title sure but have a look atbthe line up comparedbto the rest of the league.

Reply #194279 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haha- good one Apollo.
I think if Crite and Kerle passed eachother in the street, they'd still come to blows even though Crite hasn't graced us with his beligerance since '89.

Reply #194280 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

Paul Rogers.....

Reply #194288 | Report this post

Pickles Housemate  
Years ago

Wats the story eith Mick Corkeron (ex-6ers?) was he any good? member ppl raving bout him when he played but heard nothing since.

Reply #194289 | Report this post

Apollo86  
Years ago

Sorry Skin if this is getting off your original topic.

Kent, it would have been interesting if Ken had been able to stay- I suppose the beauty of Ken Cole was he was a showman - I mean this in a good way - he had the Lincoln (or was it a Caddy??), wore the cowboy hat and the boots. He was flamboyant - he sold basketball in Adelaide, as did guys like Al Green - his skill,aggression, never say die attitude on the court. As a kid my friends and I would go to the sixers and district games in 85/86 to see the American guys play.While Gary Fox may have been a more "thinking coach" Ken was full of passion - is this perhaps not a sign of a good coach - someone who gets the best out of their list?(even if the 86 sixers were awesome -was it 24-2 ??? - the 2 losses being close)
Now I've never coached at an elite level but having coached school and club soccer and basketball over the last 20 years I know while it's great when kids/teenagers put into play things you've taught them, there are often players who make you as a coach look good. The Sixers of 86 were great but did the dynasty Gary Fox talked of when he arrived fail (before Phil's time)due to some average imports or average coaches? Or did the sixers stand still while other teams recruited people like Scott Fisher (pretty awesome on the court when a Giant).

It would be good to see the NBL getting their imports / Oz players more into schools for clinics. THe Crows and Power do and Adelaide United are the same. United give the kids lots of goodies (stickers, pencil cases, posters etc) The kids take this stuff home and nag their folks to take them. Perhaps we need this in our NBL more?

Reply #194292 | Report this post

sharpshooter  
Years ago

Rick Brunson went back to the US and played NBA ball after he left the 6ers... probably not over rated.

Tassie had Calvin Talford... Suprised that Leon Trimmingham's time in Adelaide hasn't got a mention.

As for Andrew Gaze... The best Aussie player to date... led Seaton Hall to a final four apperance and passed over the draft to come home and help his old man out...

Reply #194293 | Report this post

EC watcher  
Years ago

Wow EC hasn't stepped in to defend Dusty over post #194245 - Someone better check that she is OK.

Reply #194304 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

Shane Heal OVERATED?

As much as he was a little prick on the court he was still going to give you 15-20ppg and a couple of 25ft 3pters

I hate to bag a former 6er but i wasn't too comfortable when Paul Maley subbed into the game for us

Reply #194310 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Oh come on Kriss, the mailman delivered during his time here, that basline catch and shoot jumper was automatic!

And Sharpshooter, Gaze actually took Seton Hall one step further than the final four, and if there wasn't a phantom call in the dying seconds the game would have gone to (another?) overtime. Gaze didn't score much in the final game but I think he hit 4 threes in the 2nd half of the semi final to help get them there.

Reply #194316 | Report this post

Mr Black  
Years ago

"i'll probably get thumped for this....andrew gaze?"

Anon, i pity you.

Reply #194318 | Report this post

Harry Hopeless  
Years ago

By a country mile. Kym Taylor

Reply #194322 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

Jason Williams, end of story.

Reply #194324 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

EC watcher, thanks for your concern.

Reply #194326 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

Wade Helliwell

Reply #194329 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

JASON WILLIAMS FOR SURE!
They made a movie about a 40 year old virgin, what about a 30 year old rookie?!

Reply #194333 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Overrated Player - Joe Ingles.

Jingles is one of those players that "can" or "could" be a breakout star, but he still hasn't exactly reached that point as of yet, and considering the team he is now on; I can't really see the guy stepping up when he has to out-do the likes or Worthington, Ere, Groves etc.

Besides, when you play your rookie season where the rookie selection isn't anywhere near your skill; of course you're going to be touted more. Keep in mind if you put him against Jawai and both had the same rookie year; I'm fairly sure he wouldn't really match up too well.

Reply #194335 | Report this post

gav  
Years ago

Charles Heat Check THomas.
End of debate, I win ;)

Reply #194351 | Report this post

Corey  
Years ago

Axel Dench anyone?

Reply #194354 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Gav compare CT's 36ers stats to those of the beloved Darnell and then tell me what you think.

Factor in that CT was playing a lot of minutes along side rookies who did not finish shots as opposed to who Darnell played with.

Reply #194361 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Kent Brockman, at a quick look at CT vs Mee's Adelaide stats it looks like Mee had much better stats! Your argument is that Mee was in a better team but both years CT was here he was in a similar team including Rogers. Even if CT was in a worse team that would explain why his points per game was (slightly) better.

Having said that, I don't think CT was over rated. He did well here but I don't think he was better then Mee.

Reply #194363 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

Adrian Mastrojvic

Reply #194369 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You are right how could you go pass Jason williams for 2 seasons played a lot of mins and he was a shocker. couldnt pass dribble or shoot. But also agree Axel Dench has to be right up there what a waste of 7ft . wanted to be a 3 point shooter couldnt even do that.
Leon the neon didnt do a lot for us .But the most exciting player I have seen in nbl , some of his slam dunks going from 3 point line area were amazing

Reply #194370 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You are a tool Big Marty.

I look forward to seeing what you have to say when he gets drafted next year.

Reply #194392 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

I like Joe, but he will only get drafted if he gets some consistency.

At the moment, he IS over-rated.....not because he's no good, he is. But because people hype him up.

Over-rated doesn't mean no good....it just means that they are not as good as THEIR REPUTATION.

Reply #194403 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

If I had fireworks, I'd be setting them off in congratulations for making my point.

#194392, Thanks. I'm glad I've reached the pinnacle of "Tool". And technically "When" he does get drafted, I'd probably say "Nice, last year I said he had to step up his game because last year he was all talk and no walk. Nice to see I got proven wrong etc. etc.

And trust me, if another aussie does get drafted, it's all good son. But as of right now, he's a support player, not a marquee player and he's got a lot to do on a stacked team to become a standout over the next year.

Reply #194406 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

"clearly guys like andrew bogut's way better than gaze ever was" <-- probably the most amusing sentence I've read in months.

I agree with whoever said Paul Rogers - although he torched us (36ers) last season... perhaps he's maturing with age. Hitherto, however, I saw no reason why he was highly coveted besides his sheer size.

Reply #194410 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Have you seen Rogers's foul shot? Its poetry in motion! The facials, the stance, absolutely beautiful! :P

However, it doesn't come close to the entertainment of Bill Cartwright's foul shot whose technique was straight out of an Alien shooting text book! For those that haven't seen it, you haven't seen nothing yet!

Reply #194411 | Report this post

Julius Hodge

Reply #194413 | Report this post

shin splints  
Years ago

Why Jason Williams?

He was never highly rated - just a guy playing a small role on his team. Whether you think he was NBL material or not is irrelevant - it's whether he was over-rated.
He was a solid guard for the Buffalos in the CBA, and made the transition to NBL. Perhaps played one too many seasons, but thats the 36ers fault, not his.

Reply #194427 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

playing past 1 was one to many. in fairness to him he was overplayed by his coach on many occasions.

but still hes the top of the list

Reply #194432 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

I agree with shin splints re. Jason Williams. How can you be overrated if no one rates you in the first place? I fondly remember the entire south stand of the Powerhouse cringing whenever he stood up to check-in to the action.

But hey... can't bag him too much I guess. He's been on more NBL championship-winning teams than I'll ever be!

Reply #194461 | Report this post

oldtoby  
Years ago

On the Jason WIlliams......precisely, cant be over rated when no one rates you. The thread isnt WORST GUYS TO PLAY IN THE NBL.

On CT, the fact you are even arguing for him statistically, only emphasizes my point that he was OVER RATED.

Im not even going to look at his stats, Ill go by what I suffered through watching. His decision making in crunch time was awful, as was his inability to hit a basket. He just disappeared. But feel free to throw stats that reflect otherwise. All that does is remind me how we wasted a few seasons with a good squad and an over rated point guard.

Reply #194524 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

Mee was a winner, Thomas was not, bugger the stats...how can anyone truly compare the two of them, Mee was on another level compared to CT, who cares about points when u can factor in rebounds, steals, blocks and amazing leadership ?? CT = chump, Mee = champ .... end of story !! NEXT !!

Reply #194548 | Report this post

XztatiK  
Years ago

Aussie: Dave Barlow

Import: Dusty

AFL: Ryan Griffen/Dale Thomas

Reply #205628 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:20 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754