Johnny Sack
Years ago

Chris Kaman - A German???

I was watching Germany vs Croatia this arvo and was wondering what the general consensus on this kind of thing is...

For mine i think it's ridiculous for the guy (by dint of his GREAT GRANDPARENTS - to be able to obtain a passport) to represent Germany straight off the bat (as far as i am aware this was only enacted in the last few months and somehow FIBA have let it go through...). I have no problem if an American who is born in a foreign country - like Ben Gordon represents that country (by the way this applies to all nationalities - not just Americans) or if a player becomes naturalized to represent his new country, but this... I'll be completely honest i don't even agree with players with parents of foreign extraction being able to play for foreign countries - i will be rooting for Peurto Rico tonight in the final qualifier, cause what the German Basketball Federation and FIBA have done is absolute BS...

Can Kaman even speak German???

Topic #16535 | Report this topic

Bolder  
Years ago

Calm down mate, its all leagl and binding, FIBA arent push overs, so if its good enough link for them, its good enough for me! Im half Italian, but i cant speak the language, so that has nothing to do with it by the way. Its good for the sport to be able to have NBA type talent competing against eachother. Guess its good your passionate about the sport, but I dont think its that big an issue AT ALL.

Reply #194650 | Report this post

Johnny Sack  
Years ago

I hear ya - but it is NATIONAL teams not club teams (which is what this kind of thing will lead to) at the Olympics and WCs... Where do you draw the line - and i know this happens in a lot of sports but it don't mean it's right... What link to the Federal Republic Of Germany does Chris have - heck if we want to get nitpicky - his great-grandparents were (probably) subjects of the Hapsburgs (which pre-dates the current Federal system)... It just seems ridiculous to me...

Reply #194652 | Report this post

sharpshooter  
Years ago

I personally dont have a big issue with it. I guess it would be nice if it were a little stronger link to his heritage. Or if he lived in that country, as has been the case with sports people here in Australia. But none the less good luck to Chris and the German team. Nice front line they have with Kaman and Dirk. As for having to be able to speak a language some people have trouble speaking english dose that mean they can not represent Australia??? What about people who can speak multiple languages fluently dose that mean they can represent any one of the countries whos language that they speak???

Reply #194653 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

My Grandpappy was in Berlin during WWII, does that mean I could play for Germany???????

Edit: Yes, I can speak German!

Reply #194654 | Report this post

Johnny Sack  
Years ago

Sharpshooter - you mis-understood the point of that comment. It would give his argument at least a splinter of legitimacy - the whole point of representing Germany would be to celebrate your pride in being "German" would it not? - Speaking a language is ancillary (but a consideration - IMHO in this case) to the real issues of Nationality... FWIW - i was born OS - but speak 3 languages... Doesn't mean i consider myself anything BUT an Australian... Or an earthling...

Reply #194656 | Report this post

Johnny Sack  
Years ago

Wilkommen zur/zum/??? Deutschland Basketball auslander...

BTW - German is NOT one of the languages sturty... As easy a language German is to learn (if you can speak english) - i was a really lazy, stupid student in the bad old days (my parents were right - "You'll regret it when you are older" - Touche!)... :(

Reply #194658 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

its bullshit he can play... he aint born there, and i'm guessing his parents weren't either... its like all these 18 year old wogs running around today saying their greek or wateva when they are 3rd generation australian... this crap pisses me off

Reply #194662 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Guess what??????

Shawn Redhage wasn't born in Australia!!!!! I don't hear anyone complaining about that???

Reply #194666 | Report this post

Years ago

J.R. Holden is an African-American, yet he became a Russian citizen and plays for the Russian National Team. Shammond Williams is an African-American, yet he became a citizen of the Republic of Georgia, and plays for the Georgian National Team. It's not like this is unprecedented. It's just that Kaman is a more well-known player who still plays in the NBA. I don't see the problem with it. If FIBA feels he's able to prove German origin, and it works within their guidelines, then I don't have a problem with it.

ricey, I also find it funny how some people in Australia of Italian, Greek and Lebanese descent act, when I've heard that people in these countries supposedly are nothing like how they act here. I've heard they're nowhere near so nationalistic for one thing (ie. they're not always going on about their culture). I know not all people from these backgrounds are like this (I have many friends from these backgrounds, and am of European background myself), but I do find the over-the-top "Wog"-types quite funny sometimes.

Reply #194670 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dirk Nowitzki went to Australia last year on holiday.
I reckon we could convince FIBA to let Dirk play for us,

Reply #194672 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

Check out Cape Verde - 5 US born athletes .. how many do you think can even FIND Cape Verde on a map ?!

Reply #194673 | Report this post

sharpshooter  
Years ago

I got the point Johnny... just trying to stir up an argument... bored at work. I did say that you would like to think that he had either spent time living in Germany or his parents were born in Germany. It kinda looks that the Germans might struggle to qualify any how, was listening to the BBC world service and loved the Quote from the reporter that "it looked like Kamam and Nowitzki didnt even know who each other was"...
At least the other "naturalised" players were born in, have played in or have signifcant ties to the countries they now play for...

Reply #194674 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

redhage has lived here long enough to be part of the team, kaman hasn't spent more than a week in germany

Reply #194680 | Report this post

ANON12  
Years ago

What about WNBA All Star Becky Harmon playing for RUSSIA?????

Reply #194689 | Report this post

Johnny Sack  
Years ago

Same deal ANON12 by the sounds of it and yes Redhage has plyed his trade here (just like all the guys before him - Fish, Loggins, Grace, Mee, etc), lived here, invested of himself in Australia and Australian basketball for years thus earned the right to pull on a Australian jersey... What Kaman has done is fly by night to say the least... Well anyway they made it so good luck to them - but part of Kaman must've felt a little silly jumping around with the German team after the game surely (he can't be that clueless - can he?)...

Anyway seems opinion is about split down the middle as i thought it might...

Reply #194694 | Report this post

Johnny Sack  
Years ago

Hammon might be in her rights to do what she did though - look at the facts... 1) She played in Russia for at least 1 season (check - proximity to your adopted country), 2) she was a WNBA MVP runner up (freaking great player), 3) in spite of being one of the best Americans in the L she didn't get a call up to try out (even after campaigning to the selection committee - allegedly), and 4) only after her eligibilty for Russia became likely did USA Basketball belatedly start inviting her to TRYOUT for the team (i'd be p###ed off too)...

Kaman is doing this cause he not anywhere good enough to make the US team, clearly getting bad advice, possibly incapable of making a considered decision, and being used by the DBF... Those are the differences...

Reply #194696 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

I am glad someone brought this up as i was confused when i read his name on the stat sheet.

This is a very long bow to draw by FIBA. But it all relates back to the passport, if the German government rules allow 3rd generation non occupant to get a passport then that is what is stupid.

I dont like the use of rules like this. What it also does is allow his kids to play for Germany down the line if they are any good, well not to good i guess as like him they would have to be over looked for USA representation at a lot of levels first.

It is funny though about lineage, my partner identifies with her great grand parents European country of origin despite neither of her parents being born there and only 1 out of four grandparents being from Europe.

Me, well my German grandmother married my Jewish grandfather so i am just confused and have a lot of internal arguments.

Reply #194699 | Report this post

mr black  
Years ago

"like all these 18 year old wogs running around today saying their greek or wateva when they are 3rd generation australian... this crap pisses me off"

Actually they are mostly 1st generation Australians, and many have, or are eligible for, automatic dual citizenship. Thus saying they are Greek, Italian, or whatever, is as correct as saying they are Australian.

What pisses me off Ricey is ill informed narrow minded fools.

Reply #194700 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

think you will find they are atleast 2nd generation, with bullshit accents they put on then claim "skips" are trying to be like them with mullets etc etc etc... don't get me started on these chumps
if born in Australia, your Australian, your not anything else but that except having family herritage from another country

Reply #194707 | Report this post

Johnny Sack  
Years ago

Can't we agree that both types exist... I have been in Japan too long - so i have forgotten how amusing these chaps are... I particularly enjoyed watching the "Shopping bag walk"... I used to work with one who even had a Greek flag on his desk (2nd generation-Greek... oh dear...)... Unfortunately it's not the kids fault - it burns down to their parents/extended family who idealize the "motherland" - yet can't reconcile that idealism with the paradox that is living away from it for generations... Much like the Zionist disapora (especially in the US) who are the ones that baye for a greater Israel and "no compromise" with the Arabs - wheras the Jews that actually live in Israel (on the main) want a compromise cause that's the only way forward - the Aussie diasporas are that same in their rabid nationalism... See my "Big Fat Greek Wedding" for a picture perfect depiction of the system from the inside...

Reply #194710 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

The issue with Kaman and Redhage would be different. Redhage has become naturalised, after formerly holding a different nationality. Presumably Kaman is entitled (from the German perspective) to nationality based on his German heritage. I have no problem with this. It is up to each country to define who is entitled to nationality and the basis on which it is defined. The only problem would be if a country were to make an exception for a person to grant citizenship for a person who does not comply with that country's usual rules of nationality - in which case they ought be treated as a naturalised person. There doesn't appear to be any suggestion of that here.

Reply #194728 | Report this post

playa  
Years ago

yeh he look lik one of de Aryon brothas with de blue eyes and de blond hair !!

Reply #194743 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

Looks like Playa speaks German

Reply #194756 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Well it's not English.....

Reply #194760 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Oida... thats all the german i care to know...

there should be set guidlines to how you can play for another country, such as time spent there as citizen etc for all players, as having different rules in each country is bullshit, we may as well make it for us, If you know an aussie you can become a passport holder, then we could get any NBA player or Euro player we want and have the best team ever... its rubbish that germany, and other countries can get players like they have... FIBA need to step up and make better guidelines

Reply #194772 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Looked on you tube where he is interviewed post game and he menyions only being with the team for 2 weeks and kept referencing the team as them.

Kind of funny now.

Reply #194774 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

does he use dirk as an interpreter?

Reply #194788 | Report this post

Years ago

Just a point of interest - Germany has now qualified for the Beijing Olympics with a win over Puerto Rico.

Reply #194792 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

True Ricey, but then how could you maintain our 'white Australia' and savage refugee policies to prevent immigration of people from countries we don't want? Swings and roundabouts my friend...

Reply #194799 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

what has being a "white australia" got to do with anything? i am saying, if you are born in Australia you are AUSTRALIAN, and if these lil' pieces of crap wana run around claiming lebanon is the greatest country ever etc etc, maybe they should move there for the first time in their lives to livei n a 3rd world country and duck bullets and dodge bombs for the rest of their life

Reply #194818 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

I have learnt that Soccer have been through this problem before and solved it by making a rule that the naturalising player must be a resident in their chosen country for 5 years before they can represent that country.

Basketball and the Olympics should look at something similar because the games just gone where a bit of a joke through a lot of sports.

Reply #204588 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:38 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754