FM
Years ago

Darwin team in CABL?

The NT Government has just granted $20,000 to the Darwin Basketball Association to conduct a feasability study for a mens & womens team into the ABA for 2010.

The DBA's prefered option is to join South Australia because they only have to worry about getting flights to one City. They have stated that the team would consist of 70% local NT players. Local probably means they play in the local competition here, which doesn't confirm they are local anyway.

What is everyones thoughts?

Topic #16567 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

A women's team, eh?
I'd like to see a Darwin and Tassie men's team in the NBL, especially seeing that Tassie does produce some decent talent.

Reply #194944 | Report this post

nutter  
Years ago

I think I started a topic a year or so back about this. the CABL is actually the abl confrence of SA and NT so yes NT teams should be allowed to play. Having said that im not sure CABL teams would have the budget to fly up a minimum of 12 people even once in a season let alone if the NT team is granted a home final. It would also probably prompt a revamp of the ABL structure with more double headers and maybe even mid-week games to minimise travel etc.

Reply #194956 | Report this post

act now  
Years ago

An NBL in the NBL would be ideal if purely from the point of view of breaking up the singapore road trip, while they're at it stick a team in jakarta - 8 million people and already a 7000 seater stadium in the ritzy part of town, i plan on goin to jakarta next year to see the feasability of such a venture.

Opening the import restrictions to include any Asian players as well any players from the southern hemisphere would ensure a strong player contingent, a tassie team would be brilliant as well as an AIS team made up of aussies under 22.

Reply #194961 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

nutter, where do you get the info that CABL is actually the ABA conference of both SA and NT?

Reply #194968 | Report this post

nutter  
Years ago

Im not entirely sure where I got it from as it was quite a while ago but I have a feeling it was a preview or wrap up of the ABA national finals so if you have a look around on the ABA website im sure you will find it there.

http://linky.com.au/u1t9k

Reply #194969 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

bball in Aust is dead. To revamp it they need to make it an asian super league. teams from australia, singapore, indonesia, philippines etc. Big time companies would sponsor league and teams as the exposure would reach far more people.
check out philippines pro league www.pba.com.au
Im sure a few of those cashed up companies "owning" teams at the moment would welcome the chance to be involved in an asian super league!!! San Miguel corp owns at least 4 of the teams as it is lol

Reply #194978 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

#978 has a point. A the PBA is not the only place in Asia doing it. Korea also has their teams owned and run by major companies. I believe LG Sakers at the Brunei cup had a $5mil AUD budget for the year.

There is some big money in the Asian comps.

Reply #195152 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:29 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754