Libertine
Years ago

Aussies in the NCAA

'Dallas' in the 36ers win over Sydney post asked about the Aussies playing in the NCAA. Here's all the names I could think of:

Andrew Bogut - Utah
Luke Nevill - Utah
Daniel Dillon - Arizona
Daniel Kickert - St Mary's
Matthew Knight - Loyola-Marymount
Damien Martin - Loyola-Marymount
Luke Schenscher - Georgia Tech
Martin Iti ??

Please correct me if I'm wrong, or add names. I'm sure there is plenty more playing in the div 1 conferences I've never heard of.

I picked up an edition of 'College Basketball' in the newsagent the other week ($22 so I didn't buy it), but it was a fascinating 'flick-through' - in-depth and brilliant analysis - fir COLLEGE ball. How much does NBL marketing suck?

Topic #1657 | Report this topic

Libertine  
Years ago

http://www.australiabasket.com/aus/aus.asp?NewsNo=20

This link, about half way down covers the other names I missed.

Reply #18899 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

http://www.australiabasket.com/ausabr.asp

This link is much better, comprehensive list of all Aussies playing abroad. Danny Phillips is even on there.

Reply #18900 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Martin Iti? I haven't heard that name since he considered nominating for the NBA draft last year and the ABC ran a news story on him.

Apparently he passed through Sydney sometime, so is qualified as an Aussie.

Phil Smyth (or Smith, as the Americans call him) - pay attention. Another 7-foot Aussie is awaiting your phone call!

Reply #18922 | Report this post

monsta  
Years ago

martin iti went to my high school in sydney, the guy was huge, 6'8 when he was in year 8, i see they have him listed as 7'0 now, back then you could see he had potential, but man he needed alot of work back then, i remember in a game on a fast break he's dribbling up court and proceeded to almost trip over the ball and kick the ball out of bounds....
but being 7'0 you can see he has potential, theres been alot of controversy surrounding him though, with his mother claiming his minders in america werent looking out for his best interests, questions raised over his accademic records from australia etc.....
he's doing alright, he still needs work but you can see he has potential.
and hey he made the ESPN not so top 10 list lol he stuffed up going for a dunk

Reply #22155 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My cousin Martin Iti was born and raised in Sydney, he didnt just pass through..

Reply #89475 | Report this post

awww  
Years ago

Martin Iti would beat any Aussie so I dont know you guys keep on hating on him. Soon as player of color does good for himself you guys "you so called Aussie supporters" start putting them down. You wounder why they leave this shithole because instead of showing support you put them down. I am glad he is doing well for himself and playing college basketball because it shows through all his ups and downs he was able to maintain and finish his college schooling off snd finish his degree. So for all you haters out there screw you all and I know he will be great in what he decides to do.

Reply #140787 | Report this post

Grote60  
Years ago

awww,

Hilarious that you have played the "race card". Nobody here would evn know that he is of Islander desent.

Reply #140796 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #158996 | Report this post

3 aussies in garner-webb that won through in the NIT preseason semis

Reply #158997 | Report this post

iti - is at new mexico "aggies"

they played duke the other day - it was on espn - great game - albeit duke won easily

Reply #158998 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:21 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754