Josh Childress leaves Hawks for Europe

It seems Childress has grown tired with the Hawks poorly managed front office and jumped ship to Greek squad Olympiacos Piraeus.

Last year the Hawks refused to extend his contract, and this year they weren't prepared to offer him enough to stay. They'd better be doing all they can to hang on to Josh Smith.

Where to now for the Hawks?

How will this affect their chances this season?

Does this move have further implications for the NBA, with the emergence of Europe as a legitimate alternative to the US league?

Topic #16576 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't believe he'll be earning more in europe than in the NBA. Here's a link: http://linky.com.au/aol15

Reply #195045 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon - that was definitely worth mentioning. Will be very interesting to see what happens between the NBA and Europe from here.

Reply #195047 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I didn't realise how many players were leaving the NBA for Europe. I can't understand being good enough to play in the NBA but CHOOSING to go elsewhere. Most players buts their guts (and often fail) to get to the NBA>

Leaving NBA for Europe in '08 Player

Primoz Brezec Raptors - Virtus Roma
Josh Childress Hawks - Olympiakos
Carlos Delfino Raptors - Khimki BC
Juan Carlos Navarro Grizzlies - F.C. Barcelona
Bostjan Nachbar Nets - Dynamo Moscow

Reply #195048 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Well that's why David Andersen is not playing for Atlanta yet either, as he is earning considerably more in Europe than what Atlanta are prepared to pay him!

Reply #195050 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Anon - it's called cash. The Euro has held its value whilst the US dollar continues to slide. What Childress is earning in real terms is worth alot more once he exchanges it for US dollars.

What I don't think people realise is the some Euro players don't see the NBA as the ultimate goal. This has been happening for ages, it's just that this is the first American to choose Europe over the NBA. Apperently David Andersen has chosen Europe for financial reasons the last few years. Ironically, maybe the Hawks have more cash to entice him over now?

Reply #195051 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

This is definitely a decision that will make Stern and the NBA owners sit up and take notice. If the decline in the $US compared to the Euro is permanent (likely to be the case) then there will be more of this and the NBA's once unassailable identity as the world's best league will well and truly be under threat.

I don't see Stern and others responsible for the NBA brand wanting to let this happen though. That means the next collective bargaining agreement is likely to net the players a bigger slice of the money pie.

So the next question is: can all 30 NBA teams afford the escalating pay scales necessary to stop players leaving for Europe? Some teams may not, and the NBA may be in for a period of contraction.

In the long run though, I don't know that the NBA can stave off the competition from big Euro teams. Many NBA teams have a strong brand, which will help them, but money talks and in time I think big Euro teams will come to rival them.

So in 15 years we may find that world basketball looks a lot more like world soccer. where there are a number of competing national leagues, with several big name clubs, all vying for the best players.

Look for the NBA players reps to start challenging some of Stern's salary cap limitations as well. In Europe there are no salary caps or protections for smaller market teams. The EU courts consider these things a 'restraint of trade' on players. Ironically, it is European laissez-faire capitalism that will likely challenge 'protectionism' in American sports!

I would prefer all this didn't happen, but I think it likely will in time.

Reply #195058 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Strange enough, if you end up with the NBA lacking in imports, then you're just calling the NBA a "seniors" division for College ball.

There's nothing wrong with players moving to Europe, considering Andersen has already won more titles and made more cash then he would have done with Altanta PERIOD, I'm glad he's making his money.

Bout time the immortality of the NBA had its arse kicked.

Despite new age players like Kobe & Lebron, there's just something about 80's/early 90's ball that was better.

I should probably finish off with some quote about wheels spinning or sands in an hourglass... but can't really be bothered.

Reply #195063 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

What it doesn't mention in that article is that the deal is actually a worth a hell of a lot more. The club has agreed to cover Childress tax, so the $20 million over three years is $20 million in his own pocket.

Reply #195071 | Report this post

M Dizzle  
Years ago

He has the option to terminate the contract after each season so he's obviously going to play out each season and see hwat the NBA is offering each year then decide whether to stay or go.

I think the different between basketball and soccer is soccer truely is the world game and the world's best talent is evenly spread out all over the world. Although the emergence of league's outside of the NBA is evident the majority of talent still lies in the US

Reply #195078 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

TR, isn't that the appeal of most Euro contracts...tax free?

I believe I read that somewhere( which doesn't mean it is always true...)

Reply #195079 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

European teams may be able to nab some players but remember the NBA is still WAY ahead money wise. They had to offer the biggest current contract in Euroleague history to nab a player who isn't even that high on the NBA talent scale. Yes, Europe are catching up but the NBA are still WAY ahead. That's not to say that this isn't a concern for the NBA though.

Reply #195088 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

*nba not nab. woops.

Reply #195090 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why wouldnt this prompt the NBA to expand and have a Euro Division??

Reply #195096 | Report this post

Man, phoenix should have signed him. I love the way childress plays.

Reply #195098 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Im not sure if tax-free is the norm with European contracts DB?. The contract isn't tax free, but the club will be paying his tax. It was in an article I glimpsed in an Atlanta paper on-line and one major point was he was saving money by the club paying his taxes.

I do know that tax is a serious problem for Toronto Raptors players in the NBA. The Canadian Government hit them hard.

Reply #195114 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

smartmove for childress.lots of money now for josh smith to sign.hawks management will forever fu*k me off!

Reply #195122 | Report this post

olskoolgamer  
Years ago

It will be very interesting to see how Stern handles it. You can see he has thought about it by mentioning he wants euro clubs in the NBA eventually.

The first round rookie pay scale definately needs looking at as it is stopping some players from coming over due to the salary restrictions. Teams will just have to only select euros in the second round so they can offer them whatever they want.

I can only see this being good for basketball in general. It would be awesome to see it as a worldwide game like soccer. But will this be good for the NBA?

Reply #195130 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

euro is probably a better place to play skill wise as well... USA isn't the best anymore, we all know that, so why continue to suck on their teat... in 5 years time europe will be seen as the place to be unless NBA smartens up and makes their game rules alot more to the liking of the WORLD'S fans

Reply #195140 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

I agree with #195088, I can't see Europe nabbing too many (any?) top notch NBA players. I think the ones they're likely to lure over are Euro players who are good but not superstars (Juan Carlos Navarro for instance) and looking to move home but not lose money when they do. I think your average American player would need a VERY substantial pay rise to leave the Land Of The Free to move to a country where they don't speak the language, don't know a sole and get coins thrown at them while they're playing.

Reply #195142 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Quote from anon #195096:
"Why wouldnt this prompt the NBA to expand and have a Euro Division??"

A few reasons, but one of the biggest is the price of jet fuel! It's a long way to fly to play one or two games of basketball! Not to mention jet lag.

Also if the NBA were going to expand into Europe, they'd have to cull the number of teams in North America substantially. You need to play every team at least once to realistically say they are in the same league as you (!!!) and the season is long enough without adding more meaningless games to the schedule.

I'd prefer the NBA to stay in North America and to see a revived world club championship in the non World and Olympic years. But once again you would be pushing athletes endurance and would probably have the same problem with stars not wanting to play the extra games.

In response to another anon: Although Europe is only just starting to offer the big money to basketballers, the only way is up for them, with the $US in decline. Lets not forget that Americans don't have a mortgage on mega-money. There are a LOT of cashed up Euro businessmen more and more willing to bankroll sporting teams these days. Look at all the Russian cowboy capitalists...

Olskoolgamer, are you sure this will be good for basketball? I'm not wanting to particularly protect the NBA, but I much prefer the salary cap system it offers to what Euro soccer leagues offer. When there is no protection for smaller market teams, they just end up making up the numbers. The English Premier League is a prime example. I followed that for years, but I just don't have the interest anymore, because there are only 4 clubs out of 20 that have ANY chance of winning the league every year.

Reply #195145 | Report this post

olskoolgamer  
Years ago

Beantown, I still think it will be good in general. Anything that makes the game more popular throughout the world, and has more kids playing the sport has to be good.

Even though the premier league is set up with no salary cap, it is still ridiuclously popular. Champions league games rate through the roof.

Imagine once there are like 5-10 really strong teams in europe with several players each who could play in the NBA, the European club championships will be awesome to watch.

But agreed, the smaller clubs being priced out into oblivion isn't good. Maybe something can be done about this.

Reply #195208 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

"Imagine once there are like 5-10 really strong teams in europe with several players each who could play in the NBA, the European club championships will be awesome to watch."

Olskool, I am all for that happening. In fact, I don't think we are very far from that now. But I don't want those teams to be the SAME 5-10 teams year in and year out.

I'd like to see highly competitive leagues in North and South America and Europe, with a world club championship held every so often for the top couple of teams in each league. Say the top 4 Euroleague teams, the 4 NBA conference finalists, the best two teams from South America (say the Brazilian and Argie champs) and best two teams from Asia (there would have to be some type of qualifying tournament).

Reply #195300 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:20 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754