ANON12
Years ago

WNBA legend stages comeback at 50

In light of the suspensions at Detroit in the WNBA legendary player Nancy Lieberman is to make a comebakc on a seven day contract.

Should be interesting? Full article at:

http://www.wnba.com/shock/lieberman_080724.html

Topic #16593 | Report this topic

Skin  
Years ago

Good ol Billy L, Think this would be a publicity thing.....Nah what am I thinking

Reply #195209 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

I know Liebermann is a HOFer etc, but, c'mon, this is just a cheap publicity stunt. If she gets on court, it turns the WNBA into a joke. There is no way in ANY other league or ANY form of sport (well .. other than bowls) a 50 year old would get a run.
You're effectively saying that the standard is so low that a person who is 50, and hasnt played professionally in over 10 years can come in and play effectively against the best young players you have.

Besides, there are at least 50 quality players, who are working their arses off just to get INTO the league, who miss another opportunity, just so Detroit can sell a few more tickets to a bunch of gulible fans who think this is legit ...

Reply #195211 | Report this post

Trex  
Years ago

Be careful with the ANY other sport, Don't tell Greg...Norman that is he may never play the British Open again..

Reply #195216 | Report this post

kad  
Years ago

There is no way in ANY other league or ANY form of sport (well .. other than bowls) a 50 year old would get a run.

Norman at the British Open?

Reply #195217 | Report this post

Edinburgh 37  
Years ago

There is no way in ANY other league or ANY form of sport (well .. other than bowls) a 50 year old would get a run.

Don't be so sure about that. Australia's oldest Olympic competitor is in his 60's, competing in equestrian.

Reply #195218 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

um...newsflash...

Norman lost...again.

Reply #195219 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

That's not Necessarily true Melvin. I'm sure Willie Simmons could still play in the NBL and contribute some what with some blocks and rebounds. Is that guy still in Adelaide?

Reply #195224 | Report this post

Skin  
Years ago

She Played today got 9.5 mins 0 points 2 TO 2 Assists
Detroit lost by over 10

Reply #195225 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

merlene ottey was just 20 one hundredths of a second for qualifying for the beijing olympics at the age of 48 - it would have been her eighth olympic games appearance....

The US have a 40 year old female swimmer i understand on their team in a sport where 26 is washed up....

Michelle Timms would still be competitive in the WNBL (albeit she is not 50!)

Reply #195228 | Report this post

kad  
Years ago

DB5:

"The BRW top 50 sports earners rich list released tomorrow reveals how much our best sportsmen and women are paid and, surprise surprise, occasional golfer Greg Norman is still Australia's highest earner with a 2007 annual income of $20 million."

What a loser.

Reply #195234 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

I stand by my comments. Putting Nancy on a roster devalues the WNBA.
Golf, Equestrian .. drawing a long bow to consider these guys "athletes".

If you want to put a local face on this, then lets look at the Willie Simmons example. Do you recall how Canberra became a laughing stock when they brought Willie, Dave Simmons and Butch out of retirement to fill out their roster a few years ago ? These guys were still good (at 40), but do you think they were healthy for the league ? seriously ?! THAT is the point I'm making ...

Reply #195237 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

lol kad..

20 mill for losing everything

Reply #195238 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

"I stand by my comments. Putting Nancy on a roster devalues the WNBA.
Golf, Equestrian .. drawing a long bow to consider these guys "athletes"."

What about tennis Melvin? Rafa Nadal not an ahtlete? A couple of years ago I saw Martina Navratilova destroy a fit young first round singles opponent 6-0 6-1 on a backcourt at Wimbledon, she was late very late 40's at the time. The next year she went on to win the US Open mixed doubles title just a few months short of her 50th.

It just shows that veteren nouse is a very useful weapon against inexperienced athleticism, and in a team sport like basketball where you can be a role player it's not inconceivable that a 50 year old could at least contribute something, especially in the women's game which relies less on athleticism.

Reply #195267 | Report this post

Cat 15  
Years ago

Willie Simmons is still in Adelaide, only he bleached his skin and now answers by the name David Cooper.

Reply #195268 | Report this post

BettyLeadfoot  
Years ago

LOL at Cat 15. That deserves a ball.

Reply #195277 | Report this post

VB  
Years ago

I'm sure Andrew Gaze could still mix it up with the best even when he is 50 or around that mark. Not to mention, players such as 36ers Mike Mckay, Mark David and co. who were still dominating at age 40 in their respective leagues.

Reply #195279 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:06 am, Wed 17 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754