dragnz
Years ago

nbl finished what do you think

i think the nbl will be gone by the end of this season. after the slingers, bullets and the kings have left, the nbl will need to go sooner or later.

hopefully they don't cancel this season

Topic #16640 | Report this topic

Isaac1  
Years ago

Gone in two more seasons.
In that sense i mean that i doubt it will become totally non-existant. I think after 2 more seasons, the league will become defunct, and BA together with the NBL Management, will sort it all out through which a new league will be formed.
BA and the NBL have made little moves. But let's face it they havent worked. A major overhaul will occur in the next 2 years for sure.

Reply #195733 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

The NBL is certainly going through a difficult time. I do not believe it is finished, but I do believe that it needs a major overhaul. Spectators, sponsors, and players need a long term assurance that the NBL will be strong and not some poorly run league. To this end these are my major points:

1. Salary Cap: It is there to protect teams financially and to ensure teams compete on level playing field. Must be enforced, or else it is a joke. Currently a joke. The NBL doesn't check it and so clubs run wild.
2. Points Cap: As above. Why have it if it is not enforced?
3. Profile: Ladies lawn bowls has a higher profile that the NBL. Need to have a more proactive marketing team in NBL headquarters - do the NBL have one? Do they need a size 10 somewhere?
4. Business Plan: Is there one in place? Have the NBL developed it in house with some strategic use of consultants, just got a consultant's report, or is it on the back of a Starbucks napkin?

On the positive points, basketball participation at grass roots is strong, is an exciting game to play and watch, doesn't take up a full day, the players are generally clean cut and smart people, and there is good infrastructure in place.

I would suggest that a clean out of management and a change of course of how the league is run is required.

Reply #195739 | Report this post

Paul  
Years ago

This years competition will be the best in years. There are going to be some great games. I think they will do a major overhaul. We might see more NZ teams which I don't think will work. They will want some of the success the netball gets. I think a Tasmanian team will return as will some other new teams maybe a Geelong.

Reply #195741 | Report this post

:O  
Years ago

It will become the ANZBL

Reply #195764 | Report this post

The Journo  
Years ago

Great idea :0, though the only thing stopping that is the NZ season is over the winter.

Reply #195775 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

my problem is if they shut down the league for a year what happens to the players? they have to get paid so they will look overseas and then when the league relaunches what is their insentive/odds to come back.

Reply #195783 | Report this post

playa  
Years ago

dey hav ta work "normal" jobs lik everyone else !!! de NBL is finished since Aussies r not intersted in bball .... dey lik only ta watch footy n swimmin n tennis !!! other sports ...ha ..wat other sports !!!???

Reply #195803 | Report this post

playah8tr  
Years ago

playa, I think the ratings on the game show 'spelling bee' are better than the NBL. you should check it out.

Reply #195824 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

cricket for one playa,
"I pity the playa Fool"

Reply #195829 | Report this post

woody  
Years ago

we have to change to winter playing in sumer is ludacris idea as if you would miss a day nighter to go watch a bball game live

well i would cause i love the razorbacks aka sydney spirit but most niggaz wouldnt

Reply #195930 | Report this post

Ha Long Phat  
Years ago

(#195930) Sorry Woody; I dont agree.

As if you would miss an AFL game to go watch NBL!!

AFL.. any one remember that???

It was one of the major factors in changing from winter to summer.

Have we forgetten this already - no wonder bball is in trouble.

Reply #195991 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:05 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754