Mantis
Years ago

Artest to Rockets

Reports are that Artest will be traded to the Houston Rockets for Bobby Jackson, a first-round pick and rookie Donte Greene.

[Trade can't be made official as Greene only just signed his contract and players can't be traded within 30 days of signing.]

Ming, Artest, McGrady... The Wild West just gets wilder!

Topic #16645 | Report this topic

The_Champ33  
Years ago

That is a crazy line-up unless they trade T-Mac also.

Maybe the rumour T-Mac for RIP Hamilton will be brought up again.

Reply #195815 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

That is going to be one impressive defensive squad. Battier and Artest guarding the outside and Yao sitting under the basket.

Reply #195820 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Houston may finally have a guaranteed finals team. Potentially good enough to get a top spot reign on even a Semi berth.

Sacremento will become another bottom feeder like Seattle.

Don't know why Houston would want to give up on T-Mac. While Hamilton is a good SG, T-Mac is the reason the rockets usually play at their current level. I'm sure we've all seen the win/loss stats without McGrady and I doubt Hamilton can fill the void that T-Mac currently occupies in Houston.

Back to the main subject, I think Artest would do for Houston, what Gasol did for LA... IF the trade happens.

Reply #195826 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

it's stupid for kings to pull that trigger, i mean bobby's great but artest in another class...yeh you look at it now...

yao, battier, ron, mac, alston

that's hellva line up when you think about alston almost blossomed last season too so don't count him out! would be icing on the cake if steve franchise wakes up too (if he decides to reassert himself) put this line up against lakers?

yao-bynum: (suppose bynum comes back full strength this match-up should equalise)

battier-gasol: edge gasol

ron-kobe: edge on ron cos he can stop kobe(kobe can't guard him either cos that'd waste too much energy)

mac-odom: edge on mac

alston-fisher: edge on alston

so if they end up with ron, they'll outplay lakers

Reply #195838 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

remember that time T-mac got out of the first round
... Me neither
trade him

Reply #195841 | Report this post

Mantis  
Years ago

What is interesting is Bobby Jackson returning to Sacramento. They traded him away to the Grizzlies for Bonzi Wells, who then signed with Houston as a Free Agent, who was then traded to the Hornets for Bobby Jackson (again!), who had also changed teams via Free Agency.

Combine Sacramento's trades in this sequence and they gave up Jackson and Artest and got Jackson back in return!!

Reply #195844 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

big marty have u seen the win loss stats with McGrady in the playoffs....not very good.

I think its a good trade for both sides. Bobby jackson is the aggressive, scoring point guard that sac-town desperately needed and donte green has huuuuuuuge potential, i believe he dropped around 40 in a summer leage game not too long ago.

although houston got the better end of this trade the future is looking bright for sacramento...give them a few more years

Reply #195845 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Trade ming. That guy is no good and will only let you down- the only reason he is even in the comp is to sell jersey's in china.

Houston- stop pretending your about winning and not dollars and move Ming now! T-Mac is the most disrespected player to ever walk the court- yet his stats and record suggest he's better than Paul 'flavour of the month' Pierce... ie- T-Mac is so good he gets a bunch o chumps into the play-offs...in the West FFS!!!!! sure the team loses, he is playing a lone hand man.

Anyone with B-ball IQ should see that he is a talent being massively wasted.

Swap him with any wing player outside LBJ and that team gets better or stays even- period.
Pierce
Kobe
anyone.

I hope they trade him- coz the team that gets him will benefit from a hard competitor who sacrifices for his team again and again.

Well done Houston- you got a real player in Artest, now you have to cut away the fat that is Ming and give T-Mac a team he has chance with...

Write this down- Ming will never ever ever win a title. Ever.

Reply #195846 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

well i hope yao don't win i really don't like him...and i can't agree with you more Quagmire, t-mac is getting wasted big time in houston cos of all that marketing shit. he's on another level compare to yao, same club as kobe and lbj for sure

Reply #195852 | Report this post

olskoolgamer  
Years ago

Okay, I wrote it down. :-)

I think Ming could win a title, but just not as the number one scoring option. He is overrated because of his size and marketing potential.

I must admit, I agree with you on that they should trade him... but that is purely from a talent point of view. They could get good value for him. But they never will trade him. He is the face of the franchise to Asia. How much is that worth?

Reply #195853 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think we need a "you read it here first" system - we've got Quagmire's claim about Yao, someone stating that Monta will be an All-Star, etc.

Reply #195855 | Report this post

olskoolgamer  
Years ago

But whoops, forgot to comment on the actual thread. I definitely think they could have gotten more value for Artest. Why trade him now for 50 cents in the dollar? Why not wait til the trade deadline to see what superstars are on the line?

Reply #195856 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

good point- sac fans should feel robbed.

unless donte takes his summer form to the show...

but that is just not gonna happen...is it?

Reply #195857 | Report this post

olskoolgamer  
Years ago

Agreed on the "you read it here first".

Let me make another one: Playa will make an annoying post soon.

Reply #195858 | Report this post

playa  
Years ago

yao is gr8r den t-mac. t-mac is a known loosar !!! never been outta de first round tell ya somethin !!!

Reply #195859 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

oh god... i just pee'd a little...funny as f@#k

Reply #195862 | Report this post

Keefy  
Years ago

Olskool are you Nostradamus by any chance LOL

Reply #195863 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

For the record McGrady actually sells more jerseys in China and Yao isn't even in striking distance.

Might be worth checking out the facts before slamming the guy.

Reply #195866 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If you'll accept anecdotal data, I saw more Melo tops than Yao over there.

Reply #195868 | Report this post

olskoolgamer  
Years ago

playa, u r trooly gr8. well dun 4 making mi day.

Seems Yao is dropping back in the jersey sales:

http://linky.com.au/3lt96

But is still the biggest celebrity in China:

http://linky.com.au/wkknn

With some possible explainations here as to why the jerseys don't sell as well:

http://linky.com.au/6747f

Which I would believe, as I wouldn't think Bogut's Jerseys would be the highest selling here. If you are a true fan, you want to have one of who you think is the best player, not the player who is from your country.

Reply #195874 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

how can steve reassert himself is what i don't understand, the coach has already said he has no intention of playing him with serious minutes last season, hes screwed

Reply #195887 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

is it wrong to be critical of tracy mcgrady quagmire?
I agree he is one of the most talented players in the nba but it shits me watching him play, to me it seems like he lacks an ability to create.

I was so frustrated watching him in the play offs last season because all he did was take jumpers from between the free throwline and the 3 point line. He lacks variety and seems pretty lazy if you ask me.

I would trade tmac before yao. Yao's biggest issue is ability to last more than 60 games in a season, he does brilliant when he is on the court imo.

BTW tmac is super arrogant...thinks the world of himself and has no finals experience to back it up. He'd rather look good and lose than look bad and win.

Reply #195891 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tmac>>yao. its not even close. tracy is probaly the best 6'9 plus playmaker since magic jhonson. also when he gets hot and Attacks the ring, he is unstoppable. hes a 28-8-6 player in the playoffs. he has the 3rd highest points per game of alltime.

He posted 40 points 10 boards 6 assists in hes last game in thye game 6 against utah. not to mention he putup 29-9-7 in the game 5 to. the guy is a walking triple double. he could have scored 40 plus in that game 5 to. but because we were so much infront, adelman rested him early.

Just because yao is the best center in the league, it dosent equate to him being better then T-MAC.

Reply #195901 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

891, how do you explain him breaking down in tears during a press conference after Houston was knocked out of the playoffs, then?

And what do you base him being arrogant on? Is he a personal friend of yours?

Anyone saying that it is and has been T-Mac's fault that he hasn't been out of the first round, just look at last year - 27/8/7 over six games. It's not like he goes out there and costs, then enjoys his early holidays.

Reply #195902 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I have to say I can't figure out what the deal is with T-Mac. I haven't seen a lot of him for many years, but he always has great stats, yet the fact remains he has never been successful in the playoffs!

Fair enough it was hard for him in Orlando, but he has had a few years with Yao in Houston now and never got anywhere. If Yao stays healthy for the playoffs and they get Artest they have no excuses left. They should go to the Finals this season.

Also, is Battier starting instead of Scola? I would have thought Scola would start along with Yao, T-mac, Artest and Alston

Reply #195940 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Here's a theory of mine- There is a group of players throughout NBA history that are absolute superstars, so good in fact, that they can take teams to the play-offs that really have no right being there. Hence they get bumped early on.

T-Mac has taken teams that are no good to the play-offs again and again. The problem is he has never had the support to take the extra step, and even worse, due to making the play-offs, it becomes more difficult to get the higher picks needed to improve an established team.

Same problem for KG in Minny, same thing happened to Kobe when Shaq departed, PP in Boston, you could even argue that it is happening to LBJ right now- he plays with a new team each frickin year... Brand in LA, Baron Davis with every team he plays for...

I feel for T-Mac cos he got burned in Orlando when Hill got injured (they would of been awesome to watch) and now he is getting torched because Ming is injured....and shit...

Imagine if Orlando never traded him away... Howard and T-Mac... damn...

Reply #195990 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Quagmire, good post. Good theory.

Reply #196001 | Report this post

Bored  
Years ago

"the only reason he is even in the comp is to sell jersey's in china."

That's just stupid. Look, I agree that Yao is overrated (actually more like overpaid) to a degree and is valued (rightly or wrongly) for more than his basketball ability.

But having said that, any team would take a 20/10 centre any day of the week AS LONG AS he can stay on the court for the full season. That's his biggest issue right now.

To say that "the only reason he is even in the comp is to sell jersey's in china" is just plain hate without reason.

Reply #196016 | Report this post

Jordan  
Years ago

Back on topic, Ron Ron could (and IMO should) be the piece of the puzzle that puts Houston over the top.

McGrady and Yao are superstars anyway you look at it (although both have had their problems with injuries), Scola is a star in the making, Artest & Battier are 2 of the best defenders going around, Alston is more valuable than most give him credit for (and he has fantastic chemistry with Yao, just check his assists ratio with & with Yao playing!) ... then you've got Chuckie Hayes, Old Man Mutombo, luther Head & Carl Landry are all handy players, then theres still stevir franchise & aaron brooks to work into the rotation.

Injuries aside, chemistry should be the only issue on this team.

Reply #196315 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:04 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754