N.A.B.C #16
Years ago

pasadena floor boards from a while back

hey guys, i know this question will be going a while back, but a friend of mine was saying about pasadena when it was closed for that period of time. What was the reason it was closed? because we're both not sure about it cos just asking for a little bit of help

cheers

Topic #16672 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Dodgy floor boards, exposed nails*, etc. I think BASA tried to get the builder to fix it, but they refused to acknowledge responsibility leaving (from memory) first a stand-off and then an issue of funding before it was eventually fixed. Someone else might have more info about it.

*There was a bizarre moment in an ABL game where someone (Gower, Finkemeyer, can't remember) was knocked down, tried to get up but first had to unhook their singlet from a nail? Surely I didn't dream that? Anyone else remember it?

Reply #196114 | Report this post

booga  
Years ago

i heard the fat controller ran on that floor once and the floor was never the same.

Reply #196117 | Report this post

Fox Force 5  
Years ago

Im still amazed that when people are walking across court 1 you can see the floor visably flex under their feet.

This happens no matter if it is a 30kg u 10 girl or a 100 kg player.

I have never noticed this at the two other "newer" stadiums in the comp.

Reply #196140 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

I took a charge at Morphett Vale and as I slide into the keyway, ripped my shorts on a nail. Quite loud too, but fortunately, it was the double mesh shorts and only ripped the first layer!

Reply #196154 | Report this post

igotmadskills  
Years ago

It was closed for a week only about 1 month ago as got the floor polished, it was nice n grippy for a week or 2 until the dust settled again. Currently the corts are in pretty good shape overall though.

Reply #196155 | Report this post

$talks  
Years ago

I seem to recall that original floor was laid during a heatwave. When there was moisture in the air the boards expanded and started lifting etc. They initially cut expansion gaps but didn't fix the problem so had to replace floor totally. I think school/government ended up fixing them as was saftey issue for school use.

Reply #196312 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The original floor was not a sports floor, more like a domestic floor, joist spacing too wide, no expansion gaps etc. etc.
Many attemps were made to overcome the expansion problems, but were just band aids.
The floor was deemed unsafe for use by an independent risk assesment company and the stadium closed.
The cost to repace the floor (about 350K)was paid by the sale of the dome, the money going to the Government dept.
The Government was them left to take legal action against the original builder to recover the costs.
I haven't heard any progress on the court action.

Reply #196353 | Report this post

p  
Years ago

also one of the lights fell on the court

Reply #201320 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also the thin metal rail along the wheelchair ramp is dangerous.
Time BSA did something about that before someone hurts themselves badly.

Reply #208001 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:25 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754