Anonymous
Years ago

Best place for kids to work

My kid is looking for his first job and I was wondering where people reckon is the best place to start working. Which place has the best environment. I have heard some pretty bad stuff about Big W. Can anyone enlighten me on where the best place is to start working for kids? Thanks.

Topic #16718 | Report this topic

I hear the NBL is good this time of year.
PLENTY of kids work there.

You didn't say whereabouts you are, so it's hard to say.... my 18 year old cousin got a job at Krispy Kreme and loves it- the culture and other staff.
I guess when you're in your first job, almost anywhere will teach you valuable skills about the workplace, whether they be positive or negative, they have to start somewhere.

Reply #196617 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lol nice one.

I live in inner southern adelaide btw.

Reply #196620 | Report this post

CASS  
Years ago

umpiring basketball.

It'll keep them fit, it's indoors. It'll give them a new appreciation for the game (ie, seeing it from a different point of view).

Reply #196622 | Report this post

funny guy  
Years ago

original Poster call Job Prospects 82118987, ask for Scott Whitmore.

mention this website and I;m sure he will be of assistance.

Reply #196634 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Avoid having your kid work in a Supermarket.

Worked in one for my first job for four years; nothing says "Slave Labour" like a Supermarket job.

Reply #196650 | Report this post

oldtoby  
Years ago

The Catholic Church.............or maybe not.

Reply #196654 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Car Jacking is good money I hear

Reply #196684 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Big Marty, can you please expand on that. Why? Where would you recommend instead?

Reply #196728 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Send them to Amazon's Mechanical Turk and they can make a trickle of small change from the safety of their own internet connection!

Reply #196732 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Kids, work? Pllllleeeeease.....

Reply #196768 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

The skills that a kids should learn in their first few jobs include:

* Some hard physical work (to make them appreciate that life is not easy and to value education)
* Some money handling (so they understand some finance aspects of work)
* Some customer interaction such as selling, installing products, answering phones etc (to learn marketing skills)
* Some logiostics/stock control (to develop planning skills)

Some soft skills should include:
* Turning up on time regularly
* Wearing a uniform and being presentable
* Interacting with older employees and those from different walks of life

Any job where they can develop skills in these areas is a good one. As parents, we look to protect our children by placing them in easy jobs. If you want your child to achieve in life, then introduce some "hardship" to develop resiliance.

Reply #196771 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Prostitution fits that bill. What are you suggesting!?!???

Reply #196775 | Report this post

Classic!
The original poster of this question probably wishes he hadn't now!

Reply #196843 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

Send your kid to Southern Cross Newsagency in the city, tell him to drop his CV off will Daryl and if he gets that job he'll be loving it.

Reply #196852 | Report this post

colonel  
Years ago

Fast food is always a good place to start so long as you and your son are prepared for some late hours including weekend work, after school, late night closes, early starts, public holidays etc. assuming that you are going to transport your son. Teaches you about cash handling, customer service, handling complaints, cleaning, food preparation, teamwork, working in a fast paced enviroment, under pressure etc. I worked at KFC for 10 years, started out as a cook and progressed through the ranks to team leader, shift superviser, assistant manager. 10 years was enough but if I wanted to progress further I could have. If you put in the hard work and the hours you can progress quite quickly. If you are looking at fast food, I would probably say go for McDonald or Hungry Jacks, I believe the support and structured training program they have is much better then KFC ever was. Plus, when I worked there, KFC was a stingy, greedy, target focused company who ran their business on very little staff each shift. But that wa s along time ago and hopefully times have changed.

good luck

Reply #196932 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:00 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754