bretts the man
Years ago

36ers recruiting and ownership

Whilst maybe we dont have names that Melbourne teams have but how good is our recruiting this year with exciting young players that sure as hell has not happen in the past. I dont think we now need that man back ( see no name EC ) I think we need a PF and we will have a real balanced attack and defensive unit.
The signing of Aaroon Bruce was massive espec. as thought our recruiting apart from import was over .
with this signing does that suggest as in a previous post that there is new money in the sixers at the moment. Far different from last year when they kept hands in pockets for a long time before replacing Chappell. The positive signings and vibe is very encouraging no matter what the reason. If FOX gets on board I think it will be a great season

Topic #16724 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you'll find we are looking for SG/SF swingman who can possibly also defend the 4. I can assure you we wont be getting a PF import when we already have Balls in that position.

Reply #196680 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Exciting times ahead and I love it. Season Tickets shall be worth it this season.

Reply #196691 | Report this post

Juror 12  
Years ago

Yeah, go small rather than big for two reasons:

1. We don't need another big. We already have Cooper, Schensher and Ballinger to fill those spots. Another option (which I think we will employ quite a bit) is running Holmes at the 4 and Ballinger at the 5. Holmes rebounds well and can defend most 4 men. Plus that combo would give the opposition some problems in the match up department when we are on offense (where as Cooper and Schensher limit us a bit)

2. It is easier to find a decent 2/3 import as opposed to a decent 4/5.

Reply #196692 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Much like the college game in the US and the FIBA based comps in Europe- our league is very guard orientated. I think you need big men to win but your guards really dictate your success.

We really should look to play small at time with Luke asked to carry the load on the boards and Homes, import maher and bruce running and gunning.

My favourite thing has always been watching Brett nail those trey's in transition, he can do it all year long...

Reply #196709 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Whilst I agree with Balls and poss. Schensher we have a good inside presence some of top teams are going to be big and both Balls and Luke have had injury problems in past . Also dont want too many guards as some of young ones will struggle for court time and that wont help developement but poss a sf swingman scorer might be way to go. Still not totally convinced on Lukes input on scoreboard and remaining fit and although love coops work you wouldnt expect him to have too much court time in the tough matches.
Dont know enough about Wintiana to know what role he will play

Reply #196720 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

That's why, ideally, I reckon they'd want an athletic small forward but also some support at centre. PF is well and truly covered.

Winitana will be defence and energy. He's very athletic and quick. Can score but will need to know his place in the offense. Before they got him, I think they lacked anyone to defend the tall scorers or athletic small forwards like Barlow, Cortez, Ingles and so on. Those guys might be too tall for Maher/Davidson/Bruce, but could be too quick for Holmes.

Reply #196721 | Report this post

lukn4gudimport  
Years ago

More guards than Buckingham Palace,the Import I would like to see is 200cm + SF who is a great outside shooter as well as inside threat .I guess a versatile swingman.Hodge was one of the best imports to grace the nbl in many years ,unfortunatly it seems unlikely he will return but I am hopeful the 36ers will find the next star in the competion.OF Course good defender also and rebounder

Reply #196738 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

I heard about this guy, tore it up in the NBL a couple of years ago...Could play 2-3, slasher, not bad shooter. Mike Chappell?

Reply #196751 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dave Chappell would be more entertaining for the Sixers. A better scorer too..

Reply #196796 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:45 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754