Danger Mouse
Years ago

NH: Google Street View

Anybody been playing with Google Maps, since they launched Street View in Australia today? http://maps.google.com.au/.

If your not aware, Street View allows you to see 360 degree photographs of streets/houses at ground level, is pretty amazing stuff, and would have taken a long time to photograph.

Nearly all of Adelaide is included, freaky checking out my place and others where I used to live. The Adelaide pics I've looked at were taken around 6-9 months ago, as my neighbour's old freakin ute was out the front of my place, and I had no weeds in the front garden ;)

Topic #16730 | Report this topic

Colin  
Years ago

I've already wasted a lot of my day. It's great.

Reply #196778 | Report this post

legend  
Years ago

I had a look at it, I work for a Legal Firm, talk about making it easy to break into someone's house. Put in their address can scope out bushes to hide behind,cars that maybe available to break into etc.I like the concept but some people may use this for their inappropriate benefit.

Reply #196783 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

The photos were taken about a year ago, I am sure crooks would be a bit more opportunistic than using a year old photograph.

Reply #196787 | Report this post

Danger Mouse  
Years ago

I agree, it could make things easier for the lazy robber, but with the pics generally months old its use would be limited, it's nothing you can't see walking by or taking pics from a car yourself.

Reply #196788 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

I live in a dead end street with my house at the end - they didn't go all the way down the end so don't get to see my house

Reply #196789 | Report this post

kad  
Years ago

Im surprised how much coverage there is. Woomera, Sedan and Cooper Pedy all have street view.

Zoom out so you can see all of Australia with street view selected, pretty amazing.

Reply #196791 | Report this post

legend  
Years ago

statistics also state that thieves do not generally thief within kms or in the same town as the houses they scope.pretty good technology though handy for real estate.

Reply #196793 | Report this post

Funny HAHA  
Years ago

I think people may still see this as invasion of privacy. Specially if you happen to have a window open on the day of the photo. Can go right into your house.

Reply #196812 | Report this post

I think there's two sides, but personally I'm fine with it.
Funny HAHA- I tried it out on my own house and I'm not sure if you could actually see right into someone's house as such- now that would seriously be an invasion of privacy so I don't think you can quite see (or make out) that much detail.
I would like to know though, why my son didn't put his bike back in the garage when he's done with it.
Finally I have proof!

Reply #196817 | Report this post

Peter Maravich  
Years ago

SVD - i had the complete opposite happen. I live at the end of a tiny back alley (only just enough room to drive down), and they've come all the way down this alley.

Gold star to anyone who can find themselves on it!

Reply #196818 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

i thought i would as i saw the car driving around photographing a few months back, it passed me twice as i walked down the same street.

It was the first thing i looked for but alas no gold star.

Reply #196819 | Report this post

One of the guys from my work can be seen blowing leaves in his back garden.

One of the funniest things I've ever seen

Reply #196830 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Kent, that wasn't Mr Google taking happy snaps of you......

Reply #196833 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the photo of my house was taken around christmas time the decorations are on the door.

Reply #196835 | Report this post

BettyLeadfoot  
Years ago

TR deserves a ball. LOL

Reply #196845 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

yes Im thinking around Christmas too, all the lawns look dead, so when the weather was hot and watering was against the law!

Reply #196846 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

i'm at a dead end as well so you can only see the start of my driveway but you can see the car the photo was taken from. Its a black car and looks like the just opened the sunroof and took the 360 shot from that. Its a pretty cool undertaking, though it does seem a little wrong.

Reply #196853 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

TR

What do they call it in the UK? Curb Crawling?

Reply #197009 | Report this post

Mantis  
Years ago

They took the photo of my house very early in the morning, and the shadow of the Googlemobil is in the photo, including some gizmo on the roof of the car which is where I assume the cameras were mounted.

Reply #197056 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

A mate of mine just sent a photo of my house (and about 15 others of our mates that reguarly play poker....), this is NUTS!

Reply #197066 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Mantis the one i saw was a White Barina with a tripod mounted on the roof. You could see what looked like a three camera set up and it also had some sought of transponder on it as well

Reply #197070 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I saw a red Ferrari out the front of my place, but no cameras on the roof?

Reply #197078 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't stress Isaac, it's probably rusted away & been dealt with by the storm-water system. ;)

Reply #197089 | Report this post

Interesting that Google have claimed that no faces or number plates have been used in the pictures for the project, however on Brisbane news sites today, several have been uploaded as proof that Google have not followed through on that undertaking.
Several solicitors have come out saying that the public would have rights to sue or have the images pulled- ofcourse lawyers would just love that extra business!

Reply #197121 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any chance Google got an image of a lawyer being screwed?

Reply #197127 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Can't see why people could sue. There is pretty much no right to privacy in Australia, particularly given that these photos were taken from public roads. Plus, you would want a nice little bank balance to take on the team of lawyers Google will put up against any serious challenge.

Reply #197132 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

was the car insured Isaac?

Reply #197134 | Report this post

bbgun  
Years ago

Googlemobil Goggomobil, where would you start? G..O..GG...no G..O..O..G no...oh I don't know.

Reply #197136 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

XY - and if you can challenge a photo taken within the bounds of your property, but likely can't challenge a satellite photograph, at what height is the distinction made?

Brockman - I will say that it was a hot car and burnt through the streets like it was on fire.

Reply #197139 | Report this post

Fox Force 5  
Years ago

I saw the google mobile driving around Adelaide last Friday. What an easy job that would be!

It was a White Land Cruiser ute 4WD with a canopy on the back. It has cameras mounted on the roof covering every angle (one on each corner, one at each end in the middle and one on each side. It also had a huge GPS dome on the roof.

I have looked at the exact spot it was at (coming out of the drive way of the Hyatt) and it was not the current photo on street view so I can only imagine they will be up dating evry 6-12 months.

Reply #197211 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Have a look at this bloke..

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=lakes+entrance+vic&layer=c&ie=UTF8&t=h&cbll=-37.872301,147.997224&panoid=xeMAnlkGS5P4tmeQiNMQug&cbp=1,297.91082930150606,,0,24.801411195735827&ll=-37.868857,147.998264&spn=0.01201,0.019312&z=16

Reply #197463 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Went to see my place...there's the missus out the front watering the lawn (hope it wasnt taken on an odd number day)

Reply #197496 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

DB5..the pic has been taken down..what was it?

Reply #197497 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

It was a guy passed out on the verge.

Reply #197499 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

DAMN!!! as Isaac said, was a dude on the gutter passed out...many memories...

damn google.

Reply #197506 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:47 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754