Anonymous
Years ago

Ultimate USA Line Up

if USA can put together it's very best line up what'd it be? mine be this...

start 5: kidd,kobe,james,kg,duncan

bench: paul,wade,melo,brand,howard,dwill,tmac

Topic #16755 | Report this topic

TR  
Years ago

Personally I think that is half of the problem. Too many alpha dogs. Problem is all the elite players are alpha dogs.

My ultimate team would be:

Starting 5:
Paul/Kobe/Lebron/KG/Howard

Bench:
Williams/Butler/Prince/Amare/Duncan/Chandler/T-Mac

I would also like to include the greatest player in the NBA, Paul Pierce, but they are trying to steer clear of huge egos. Mike Miller is another guy. Melo is over-rated.

Reply #197218 | Report this post

coopz  
Years ago

TR, i agree melo is over rated in NBA.

but i reckon with the 5 USA games i've watched this week, melo and especially D-Wade surprise me in how well they play the international game. i think although i wouldnt want him on my NBA team, i think he is very valuable in Olympic play.

he may not be pulling huge numbers, but he just plays that style very well.

Reply #197220 | Report this post

Deron/Kobe/Prince/Lebron/Howard

Reply #197224 | Report this post

igotmadskills  
Years ago

Id personally go a very different lineup to current.
CP3 i have not rated at all against a tight zone so wouldnt inculde him. I think this team would have alot better d with enough punch on the scoreboard to beat anyone. kidd is overrated in international play and billups and fisher are better defenders and just as creative running the point..

PG Williams / billups / Fisher
SG Wade / bowen / Kobe
SF Lebron / battier / Iguodala
PF Amare / Brand
C Howard / KG

Reply #197246 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

ELG - you need a PF in the international game. Spain will exploit that lineup. Even Australia will exploit that line up.

Reply #197254 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Coopz, I think the opposite. I think Melo is good in the NBA game of isolations and such but is terrible at the international game where zones and such are allowed and his jumper is seriously exposed. In the NBA he can man-handle his opposition along with his slashing game which gets him easy looks and to the charity strip.

Internationally, the zone defence takes away a lot of avenues to the hop without drawing a double or triple team.

Reply #197262 | Report this post

mark  
Years ago

I was impressed at the way Wade played against Australia the other night. Seemed to be much better at reading the defense that he has been in past international tournaments. I think if you're gonna have Wade at SG, you've got to have Williams at point since he is the better 3pt shooter than CP3 and Kidd.

Tough decision between Duncan and Howard. Have to go with Duncan because of experience and offensive flexibility.

So my lineup would be :

Williams, Wade, LeBron, KG, Duncan

with a bench of :

Paul, Kobe, Melo, Brand, Howard, Redd, Prince

Reply #197263 | Report this post

olskoolgamer  
Years ago

I agree about Melo being great for the international game. He was easily their best player in the 2006 worlds. He looked awesome. I don't rate him in the NBA that much, I don't see him as a franchise player that will deliver a ring to Denver.

Lebron Jacks it too much for my liking, there is no way he should be shooting so many 3's with Redd on the team. Have him and Wade for energy off the bench.

Kidd is now too old, he just can't play D anymore on these young guards.

Toss up for Duncan. Couple years ago, it would have been him easily, but now Howard is on the way up.

Mine:

Paul, Kobe, Melo, KG, Howard.

Bench:

Lebron, Wade, Redd, Duncan, Williams

Reply #197292 | Report this post

S30  
Years ago

mark, not criticizing you or anything just thought you might've forgot Ray Allen...if you really want a shooter on your team, wouldn't you prefer Ray than Redd?

Reply #197293 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

Why would anybody ever say Carmelo Anthony is overrated...

I have no idea how anyone could even think that

Reply #197303 | Report this post

S30  
Years ago

haha because he is

ain't a bad player but not that great

you name me one superstar that'd choke slam his opponent and get suspended.

Reply #197312 | Report this post

jules  
Years ago

Well, he was a 22 year old kid with a short fuse...give him a break...

He has been averaging 20+ since he was a 19 year old rookie on good percentages...last 3 years has been in the top 5 or 10 in scoring (29ppg last, last season)...can rebound and defend...he is what - 23? 24? And has been Team USA's best player for the last few years...I know everyone loves to hate, but I don't understand how people find negatives out of that???

And many superstars have lost their cool in their carees...MANY

Reply #197314 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

C:Howard
PF:KG
SF:Pierce
SG:Joe Johnson
PG:Deron

Bench
C:Chandler
PF:Duncan
SF:Lebron
SG:Wade
PG:Paul
11th:Ray Allen
12th:Prince

Reply #197317 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ain't like that dude, he the worst out of them all...lebron? he way better than that

Reply #197318 | Report this post

MAZE  
Years ago

Crazy idea and will probably be shot down but ....

The starting five of the team which wins the finals is automatically guaranteed. and then 5 others are chosen the way the team currently is.

now that i've typed it out. the idea seems crazy.

ohwell.

Reply #197353 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

I actually agree MAZE - the problem with team USA is that they are a group of individuals not a team. Sure if you break their squad down into individual matchups they come out well on top of anyone else BUT when they have to play some team ball (in the half court not just fast breaks) they struggle against more structured and better drilled squads.
Imagine if the Detroit team at their peak a couple of years ago were to compete at the Olympics - wouldnt be as many breakaway dunks and flashy plays but they would certainly play some team D and IMO would win it all.

Reply #197371 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Can't do it - MAZE. What about internationals?

Reply #197378 | Report this post

MAZE  
Years ago

Didn't expect anyone to agree.

And also didn't take into account internationals.

I guess you could replace the internationals with someone from the runner up team from the same position.

Reply #197437 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Take the Spurs - you would end up with Brent Barry and Damon Stoudamire playing in the Olympics

Reply #197447 | Report this post

MAZE  
Years ago

well the idea worked well in my head with very little thinking.

Reply #197448 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:55 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754