Anonymous
Years ago

US taking notice of AUS

Just heard from a serious source that THOMAS McKENZIE has just been offered a starting spot on a lower ranked div.1 team, Washington State atlantic 10, in the U.S. Great news

Topic #16764 | Report this topic

Flip  
Years ago

I though Washington State, was in the PAC 10 and had a ranking of 16 most of last season?

Reply #197332 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry wen im thinking of top ranked i think of top 10 and PAC 10 not Atlantic... Un like my source i dont rely the message correctly. thanks for the correction.

Reply #197334 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

who is THOMAS McKENZIE?

Reply #197336 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Star of the South Adelaide team that are making an amazing run for the ABA crown. Great year and then has really come of age in the two finals games so far. 25ppg, 7rpg and 4apg. 22yo with great upside and nothing to lose. Heard he trains the house down everytime he steps on the court.

Reply #197338 | Report this post

Kingjames  
Years ago

He obviously has the talent but my only fault I could see is he looked pretty weak at driving the ball against North. I think he can be a lot better then he is currently. Needs to get stronger as well.

Reply #197348 | Report this post

train  
Years ago

div 1 ahhhh NO way but div 2 role player

Reply #197349 | Report this post

tickle  
Years ago

I don't anything about the situation, but would a 22 year old really be heading off to play college?

Reply #197350 | Report this post

ANON  
Years ago

Tickle,
Andrew Gaze went to Seton Hall when he was in his 20's (not sure of exact age). US Colleges like Aussie players because a lot of them have experience at an international and senior level and have sound fundamentals compared to some players that are from the US High School system.

Reply #197370 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There are only 2 ways a 22 yo could attend a D1 college:

1. As a transfer. Usually from another US College, however in Drew's example is acceptabel from an Aussie University;

2. If he graduated high school in the last 18 months;

As I don't know the player, and I get the impression he doesn't fit either criteria, I think some-one is a bit mixed up.

There are no similar restrictions on attending an NAIA school. These schools have a Div 1 and 2 structure, so I'd guess the 'chinese whispered' story is that he has been offered a scholarship at low ranked NAIA Div 1 school in Washington State.

A recent example of a similar aged recruit was Rohan Grey, who was on the Gold Coast Blaze roster last year. He was 2006-07 All-American at San Diego Christian, a NAIA school in California.

Reply #197375 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry forgot to mention, A Gaze's situation was acceptable then, but isn't now because of the age and time from graduation rule that wasn't in play back then.

Another thing is that the headline almost suggest surprise. There are an ever increasing number of Australian kids playing in the various college systems. It's great to be proud of them and support those guys who go over.

I feel a college career will soon become a standard pre-NBL education whilst ever we can't offer something the same. We just don't have the economics to support a system here and whilst the AIS does an admirable job, they miss out on about 30 - 50 athletes a year, and realistically those guys are pre-college.

Reply #197376 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

US are taking notice of Aussies at Beijing too - goos write up for Mills and Ingles

http://linky.com.au/lx1i6

Reply #197381 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Not sure what a "goos" write up is. I know what a good write up is though.

Reply #197382 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

you have a "goos" hook thedoctor

Reply #197387 | Report this post

MH  
Years ago

"Joe Ingles & Patrick Mills, Australia

After Rubio, the most familiar name on this list is Australia's Patrick Mills. Mills, who'll be a sophomore at Saint Mary's this fall, was expected to be the Boomers' point guard of the future, but apparently the future is now. While he won't start in Beijing, he will be counted on to provide quality minutes off the bench. As for his draft stock, despite lacking NBA size and explosiveness, he is still projected to get snatched up whatever year he enters the draft.

Mills isn't the only draft prospect on the Boomers' Olympic team. Joe Ingles, a 6'8" slashing, left-handed wing player, is projected to go in the second round of next June's draft. Ingles, who plays pro ball back home in Australia's National Basketball League, probably won't see many minutes in China with older, more experienced wing players ahead of him in Australia's rotation."

http://slamonline.com/online/2008/08/13231/

Reply #197391 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Get me in the post SVD.

Reply #197393 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

"despite lacking NBA size and explosiveness" not sure what they are referring to with explosiveness as he certainly tore Deron Williams and Chris Paul a new one!

Reply #197399 | Report this post

Tom McKenzie  
Years ago

who keeps making up this shit?

Reply #197412 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

explosiveness refers to starting speed, which he does lack comparing to other guards, however once he's turned on he's very fast, that's what he's talking about. It's like comparing cars as to which gets to 100km/hr faster

often times an explosive player can compensate for his/her lack of speed. especially for older players such as mj and d-mac in their later years

Reply #197434 | Report this post

LA Boy  
Years ago

In addition to "annon" above explosiveness is also very important component in repetitive jumps which Pat does lack in. explosive guards are such as: iverson, kobe, paul, d-will (I know paul and d-will got blew pass by a few times but seen their dunks?)

Reply #197436 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

you do TMac

Reply #197523 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:50 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754