Isaac
Years ago

Atlanta Hawks retain Josh Smith

Atlanta Hawks General Manager Rick Sund announced tonight that the club has retained forward Josh Smith and matched the offer sheet of the Memphis Grizzlies.

"Tonight, the Hawks organization received an offer sheet from the Memphis Grizzlies for Josh Smith," said Sund. "We are happy to announce that we will match their offer sheet...."

Smith, whom the Hawks drafted with the 17th pick overall in the first round of the 2004 NBA Draft, has finished second in the NBA in blocks per game in each of the past two years and averaged team-highs in blocks per game (2.80) and steals per game (1.57), while also ranking second on the Hawks in points per game (17.2), rebounds per game (8.2) and assists per game (3.4) in 81 appearances last season.
Bit more info here

Topic #16786 | Report this topic

Quagmire  
Years ago

So much is said about respecting a player. We saw what happened to the clips with Brand when he (or his agent?) felt they showed no respect with their original contract offer.

Now we have Josh Smith. Potentially the best player to step on the court at any given time. Consistancey is a real concern but thats why you have Joe Johnson and Mike Bibby right? Those guys will give you same same every night. Josh will win the game though. And he could go off against any team, no matter how much higher they are ranked.

He is 22.

20-frickin-2.

So when he had a chance to be wooed by other teams, why wouldn't you make an offer straight away for the player who you've invested 4 years on already?

Put it to bed straight away, send him a message that he is important to your team. No- instead they let him go on a few dates with other teams, that make him feel special, that say things like, "Man, if you were mine, i would never let you walk away from me, i would give you the world."

Then you match an offer (one you should of made earlier, and perhaps even think about giving some extra) to bring him back. Is this a case of "treat em mean- keep em keen"?

It may work for Bobby Brown but it really has a history of ugliness in the NBA.

Josh Smith is human- he wants what we all want, to feel wanted, appreciated. Hell yeah he wants the money too but if you want to pay 5 million more, and secure the guy while making him feel appreciated- your team will reap the benefits.

Matching an offer has set them up for a fall, starting with his attutude.

Talk about your self fore-filling prophicey!

Don't immediately sign a guy coz your worried about paying big dollars for a head case- create the head case by not paying up straight away!

What management have effectively done is extend the nervous wait on Josh Smith. He is a very young 22, will he get it together and become a consistent player? Or will he slip and spend an NBA career as a highlight reel for an underachieving team?

They could of done so much more. Locked him up straight away, show some love. Now it could go either way. He may still grow, or he will tail off.

I've said it before but- Hawks investors are happy, Hawks fans should be pissed.

Reply #198157 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:41 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754