AK-47
Years ago

Norwood vs South Results

Big win for the Flames!
Credit to South who were in control all night bar the last quarter.

South were up by 10 going into the last change and didnt look like they could believe it themselves. Norwood showed their experience and pegged them back to take the lead.

Theres going to be a big debate about Souths buzzer beater which sent the game to OT. One ref counted it the other waved it away. South fans stormed the court in celebration only for the points to be waved away and then put back up again.

Norwood took control in OT and ran out winners 88-81

Both teams were plagued with many fouls which at times were debatable.

Alot of credit should also go to the devoted South Fans who travelled in numbers tonight and did not stop chanting.

All in all was a fantastic game to watch with an amazing atmosphere

Good Luck Norwood next week against the Eagles!!

Topic #16796 | Report this topic

Years ago

Congratulations to Norwood in a very hard fought game. Although I am a Panthers fan I thought Norwood fought very hard to come back in the last quarter and wish them well for next week.

To South....many thought you wouldn't travel very far through the finals and you showed how much heart you have!!! A very big thank you must go to the Panthers Army for your support throughout the finals series. We are all looking forward to an awesome season next year. Hold your heads high...we are all very proud!

Reply #197632 | Report this post

What a game! The score doesn't do the game justice. Well done you pather boys. Over 3/4 of a stadium filled with panther supports stood to cheer your determination and passion. A great fight til the end. Well done also to the panther army.
We will be there again in 2009 so watch out you flames..............

Reply #197633 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what a game!!!!!!!! although i must say as a member of the panther army i myself and dissapointed with the result after a great match of basketball. Hold your heads high SABC, what a wonderful showing from the players and spectators tonight at Mars.
Good luck to Norwood next Week in the Grand Final!

WHOOOOOOOO AREEEEE YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Reply #197635 | Report this post

Kingjames  
Years ago

Yeah it was a great game besides the ridiculous amount of foul shots (58 to norwood, 45 to south) which stopped the flow of the game.

South had control for most of the game and then had that ten point lead going into the final quarter and then Norwood took momentum with a half court trap which killed the lead within 4 minutes.

I don't want to be too critical of the South Coach as he has done a remarkable job with the talent he has but going into the final quarter he rested Thomas Mckenzie and Luke Frost. Both those guys should have been out there to start the quarter! Then as soon as Norwood get back in the game they get subbed on. Furthermore, Pilkington had limited minutes in the last quarter. They even took Mckenzie of in the last quarter again this time for Jeremy Read, whom came on and gave away a 3 point play straight away. I'm not sure why these players were rested so much, it couldn't be a fitness reason!

South just fell apart in that last quarter and you could tell that they had no confidence going into over time.

McKenzie needs to take driving to the basket lessons from Frost and Fuller! He would be NBL material if he had the same drive as those guys.

Cooper and Krause should be more of an offensive threat considering how big they are. I can't believe Cooper can't dominate out there when guys are 4-6inches shorter then him.

I think Eagles will win it as long as they can contain Thompson.

Reply #197636 | Report this post

Testimonial  
Years ago

The spirit of Matt Jones was strong in this game! LOL

Reply #197647 | Report this post

lethal5  
Years ago

Are the SportingPulse stats correct, showing Norwood made only 28 of 58 free throws? And South something similar?

Reply #197651 | Report this post

black cat  
Years ago

Well done flames tough fought game.

I sincerely hope neither of those two umpires get a gig next week.....Poor effort!

Reply #197672 | Report this post

_  
Years ago

I think North may have said the same thing about one of those refs that did theirs the week before, he still stunk last night.
Surely there is someone better around.

Reply #197673 | Report this post

Frog 91  
Years ago

Eagles VS Flames Eagles win .yes

Reply #197683 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

The stats are correct. Both sides were culprits of poor free throw shooting.

Reply #197688 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The umpiring was terrible on both sides. The standard of umpiring is clearly ridiculous! They were there last night to be the centre of attention! Over officiated the game massively! And then to send the game to overtime when the shot was clearly late! The scorebench official said she was 100% CERTAIN it was after the siren! Why even ask her then???

Reply #197696 | Report this post

Kingjames  
Years ago

Clearly late?? I thought it was clearly the correct call and i'm sure did 95% of the stadium.

Reply #197700 | Report this post

Years ago

The umpiring standard all year, and especially in the finals has shown why this league is taken as a joke by the rest of the country.

I wonder if any of the umpires ever study game tape to see the calls they are missing/making.

Reply #197704 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the bench lady started the clock too late! Which meant that the shot went up will in time of the final buzzer!

Norwood should be pointing fingers at her for starting it late. But because of that, the refs made the right call. Had def left frosts hands before the final buzzer.

Reply #197706 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Yeah the shot had defintely left his hands before the siren went off. Around 0.4 seconds when it left his hands. If anyone has game footage I would put money on it!

Reply #197709 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Melbourne beat Sandringham in game 1 of the Big V conference. Corletto had 40 points.
Tigers get Daniel Johnson back from a broken hand for next week's game 2 (and 3 if required).
They will really shake the National Championships.

Reply #197716 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are norwood and forestville going to go to nationals now? Coz i think SA got a wildcard in the men this year so the top two can go!?

Reply #197720 | Report this post

do it  
Years ago

winner gets home quarter final against big V wildcard...loser plays away against the Bib V champ!

Reply #197723 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Big V Wildcard is likly to be Sandringham. I can't see them beating Melbourne in both games 2 & 3

Reply #197724 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

Totally agree with you Panther! The shot imo was defintely taken after but in fact was the time keeper who made the blunder. Mind you time keeping is in no way an easy job especially in a game like that with that amount of pressure.

For those who didnt see the game but were wondering why many are bagging the refs the foul count was as follows:

Norwood - 32
South - 38
(stats courtesy of sportingpulse)

A massive 70 fouls were called!

Doug Hudson was the only player to not be whistled for a foul and he played 5:05 minutes!

Reply #197726 | Report this post

Angier  
Years ago

Webber was bleeding from his knee in the last couple minutes of OT. The panther supporters were yelling at the refs to take notice, but one of the umpires just smirked and let him play on.

Reply #197897 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is that why the Panthers lost? Thats the most outregous thing i have ever heard!! Build a bridge as theres no need for excuses. It was a good game!

Reply #197963 | Report this post

interested  
Years ago

Man, I don't think the refs can ever win! If they let the game flow more, they would be crucified for letting it get too rough and dirty (and probably lead to a few ejections like what happened in the North/Norwood game). But then if they call it tight and ensure they have the game under control, then they get bagged too. Make up your mind - you can't have it both ways. Unless you've ever reffed, (and especially a tough final like that with only two officials, as it would normally be better to have three), then you can't really comment. I would be interested to hear what some of the players thought... With the foul count fairly even on both sides, I don't think they'd complain too much as it appears that it was at least consistent.

Reply #197986 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As a player in the game i feel that the refs were very poor all night! They were not up to it at all!! Too many times they were "suckered in" to people taking dives etc. It seemed the refs were calling based on the reaction of the players rather than actually seeing the fouls. There is nothing more frustrating than a ref that continually guesses!

Reply #198053 | Report this post

Graeme_LeBroy  
Years ago

http://www.hoops.com.au/sa/i.cfm/forumlist/16460/

Just goes to show that referee's can't win!!! Let them play, people bitch... call lots of fouls, people bitch!!!

Good luck to the 4 referees this weekend!!!

Reply #198369 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:02 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754