TR
Years ago

The draft misery of the Knicks

Here is a great article about the Knicks and just one of the reasons they have gotten into the position they are in now.

Some highlights:

After fourteen picks, the Knicks were in prime position to chose a local sports legend out of St. John's University. I can still remember it as if it were yesterday. With the 15th pick in the 1999 NBA draft the New York Knicks select Ron, no wait a minute. That was not Ron Artest that I heard. No, it sounded more like Frederic Vise. Who the heck is Frederic Vise?

The 2002 draft is probably the main reason why the Knicks have failed miserably this decade. The club was in prime position to address their glaring need at power forward and wound up making a colossal blunder by trading the 7th pick, Mark Jackson and Marcus Camby to Denver for Antonio McDyess, the 25th pick and a 2nd round pick in 2003.

http://linky.com.au/98myp

Topic #16802 | Report this topic

Kingjames  
Years ago

Good article but hindsight is a beautiful thing. Some of the choices were obviously bad, some of them could have turned out to have been better.

Reply #197692 | Report this post

Mantis  
Years ago

The other thing is that when he says the Knicks should have taken in the first round someone who someone else picked with a second-round pick (e.g. George Gervin), that isn't a fair criticism, because it means *everyone* passed on him in the first round - even the team that eventually picked him.

Reply #197701 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Enough of looking at the knicks past, we gotta move on man it is way too depressing...

The rookie Dan Gallinari (?) - strikes me as a possible Tom Gugliotta? Googs, a player that i think was on the verge of some pretty good years before injuries destroyed him.

Reply #198024 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:22 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754