Isaac
Years ago

Seven cops it re AFL vs Olympics

I'm not a big fan of News Ltd properties sinking the boot into Channel Seven at every opportunity (see their articles comparing 'Hole in the Wall' to whatever it was that Seven was running against it - pathetic), but thought this might be relevant to disgruntled viewers on the forum.

Furious viewers have bombarded Channel 7 with complaints after its decision to broadcast an AFL match over prime Olympic events featuring Australian medal hopes.

After boasting of record ratings after Friday's Opening Ceremony in Beijing, the official network dumped its Olympic coverage for an AFL match between Adelaide and Melbourne club Richmond.

Full story: Viewers outraged as Channel Seven dumps Olympic coverage for AFL match

When I checked an online TV guide, it clearly listed Seven as cutting to the AFL game before returning to the Games. As I said in another thread, however, they have five channels (standard, HD, three digital). When Ten had the IPL, they often ran AFL on one and the IPL on another - it provided a great alternative in a time when options on free-to-air TV are very average.

Topic #16819 | Report this topic

DJ  
Years ago

Why do the 3 digital channels all show exactly the same as the HD channel as well, what is the point of these extra channels?

I was under the impression that they would be using them all to show us different events, but not looking likely at this stage.

Reply #197962 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

on news.com.au they have a whole thing about it with people calling a 1300 number and complaining. If only we could do the same re ball.

Reply #197964 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

DJ - with you 100%. Put on niche shows, niche sports, re-run old movies or sitcoms, etc. I barely watch TV because it's all taken up by junk.

Reply #197966 | Report this post

speedy  
Years ago

I've always stated that the powers that be in media have an agenda to ONLY promote Aussie sports .. especially Australian Rules. Any competition they seek to destroy ..as what happened to basketball which riding a high back in the 90s .. as will happen to Soccer .. after the last World Cup.

But they sure were too obvious with the football on Saturday. The Olympics come every 4 years and their priority is a low level footy macth. Hilarious!

Reply #197967 | Report this post

speedy  
Years ago

and yes for a Western nation our cable TV is pathetic. our choices are pathetic. We have to put up with Foxtel who overcharge and show reruns ..lack of competition kills us and that's back to teh control the media has on us. Have you seen the kind of choices channels Canada, USA or even Asian countries have ?? puts us to shame really

Reply #197970 | Report this post

F1  
Years ago

The only difference I have ever noticed on digital channels compared to analog is that Ch 10 seems to show the Formula 1 races 1-2 hours before they show them on the analog channel.

F1 coverage from last week started approx 9.30pm while on analog I think it was approx 11.30pm.

If one station can do this, why cant Ch7?

Agreed with the above - why the hel have 4-5 different channels showing all the same crap?

Reply #197973 | Report this post

shin splints  
Years ago

The Aust Government still has restrictions on FTA networks, in that they are simply not allowed to 'multi-channel'. Only recently networks were allowed to broadcast different programming on their HD channels compared with SD channels. Seven are not permitted to use the other 7 SD channels to show different sports etc. However next year, with the introduction of 'Freeview', we should see each commercial network be given an extra SD channel for broadcasting.

The only thing that Seven could do would be to show some sports on the SD channel, and others on HD.

Reply #197979 | Report this post

Black Dracula  
Years ago

Speedy - it's not a conspiracy, Channel 7 had the rights to the NSL back in the 1990s I believe, and have recently admitted that they deliberately didn't show the games because they were concerned about football's market share.

I love the hypocrisy about how we're such a sporting nation...when really if it's not football, cricket or (if you live in NSW or QLD) rugby, you're pretty much struggling for national recognition.

Reply #197981 | Report this post

kad  
Years ago

This is dumb. Why isn't everyone complaining that they showed the News at 6?

People want everything for nothing. They will complain when they can't watch their favorite sport because its on Foxtel, but they also complain when a network has too much sport and has to bump one sport for another!

I for one would be MORE than happy to see the anti-siphoning scheme dropped. Let us have 8 Fox Sports channels while the Olympics are on. This cant happen given the current laws.

The AFL was scheduled. I'd rather watch the Crows than Rifle Shooting anyhow.

Reply #197990 | Report this post

kad  
Years ago

Speedy, how can Foxtel compete when the Federal Government has laws in place so Foxtel can't acquire exclusive rights on certain events?

I think you'll also agree that it would be much easier to offer 100's of channels at a lesser cost in a country with a population of 300,000,000. Canada is just lucky that it happens to be in the same satellite footprint, so it piggy backs of that market. When you only have 20,000,000 people across a similar land mass, its a wonder that we even have subscription TV.

Reply #197993 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lets make some news of our own about basketball. Ring 1300 737 507 and complain about the crappy basketball coverage.

Reply #198006 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Was just about to post the exact same thing as shin splints.

It is a bit hard to use every channel when you simply are not allowed to.

Reply #198032 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

If that's the case why even have the 3 digital channels there.
How does Channel 10 get away with showing on Ten HD all of the following whilst something different is being broadcast on SD
Formula One
Nascar
Golf
IPL
All of the above have at times been shown LIVE on HD and replayed on SD which has been great (good work 10).
Ch 10 have also shown regularly movies on their HD channel whilst regular scheduling takes place on their SD channel.

So why can't seven do this? Does it come down to paying for the rights $$$ are they really that tied by the federal government laws.

I have no problem with them showing the football, after all their contract was that they show it.

IMO SBS shits all over ch7 becuse they schedule FULL events and advertise/stick to their schedule so you know what is on and can decide if you want to watch or not.
Channel 7 jumps around so much it just gets frustrating and I'm finding online streaming is so much more rewarding.

Reply #198111 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:06 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754