MELHOOPS
Years ago

Australian National Team in 2012

I predict, in 2012, Australia will win Gold at the Olympics. By the time Bogut, Schensher, Kickert, Newley and Markovic and even Ben Allen are in their late 20's, we will be the best in the world.

Also, by this time Brendon Joyce should take his rightful position as Head Coach of the team.

Look out World

Topic #1682 | Report this topic

thedoctor  
Years ago

Ummmm.. no. It's a decent team, but that would mean the US would have to stop producing quality players, as would all of Europe.

Australia is still worlds behind most of Europe and the US.

Factor in injuries and failure to reach potential and 5 standout juniors don't make a gold medal.

Reply #19105 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

even with a team like that australia would hav a slim chance of winning gold

Reply #19110 | Report this post

gertrude  
Years ago

i predict with that team...we will be in a similar situation as we are now....realistically 5-8. bogut and newley the real only standouts from that group...unless schensher can keep developing for the next 4 years which he may.

Reply #19117 | Report this post

MELHOOPS  
Years ago

thedoctor,

I agree that Aus is worlds behind Euro and the US. But 2012 is a long way away. And lets just remember that the Australian Basketball Team is in a Development phase at present and will surely improve on its 7th position at Greece.

And failure to reach potential isn't a valid factor with the likes of Newley and Bogut. As they both possess a work ethic second to none. This is why Australia now has a real hope of its first No. 1 Draft pick in A.Bogut. And Newley is obviously about to take over the NBL with his intensity at both ends of the court. So lets be optimistic here and hope that injury doesn't get in the way of Aussie success.

My point here being that Basketball Australia and its affiliate Associations are heading in the right direction. Just a bit of positive feed back from a supporter looking past the results of the current squad.

Reply #19140 | Report this post

flatshot  
Years ago

anyone heard how ian crosswhite is going a 207cm left hander at college- on west coast i think

Reply #19143 | Report this post

flatshot  
Years ago

found this resume on Ian Crosswhite -averaging 10.1 and 6.1 in college
Career to date: A native of Castlecrag, Australia. Played at Australian Institute of Sport (AIS), a national-level developmental program. At Oregon, sat out the 2001-02 campaign as a redshirt freshman. Came off the bench in his first season with the Ducks, and earned Pac-10 all-freshman honorable mention status after averaging 9.3 points and 3.8 rebounds per game. Ranked ninth in the Pac-10 in field goal pct. (.519).

Scouting Report: Lefty one of the best low-post scorers in the nation ... Has an excellent chance at developing into a NBA player despite some questions about his toughness ... Has the back-to-the-basket repertoire of a pro ... Terrific touch and footwork on hook and turnaround jumper ... Can drive to the basket if he turns out of the post ... A terrific outside shooter ... Extremely mixed up on the defensive end ... Routinely commits fouls because he doesn't understand positioning, what he can and cannot do, and is not patient enough ... A poor rebounder for a player as big as he, and his shot-blocking skills are equally unimpressive.

Reply #19148 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

I think we take it one step further and throw a few names up for our national team in 2020.....

Reply #19183 | Report this post

MELHOOPS  
Years ago

Good Call Billo,

How bout your little sister for one?

Reply #19185 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

I'm sorry MELHOOPS, are you dissing my non-existant little sister? And the award for most confusing insult goes to.....

Reply #19202 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

MELHOOPS, aussie ball is in good shape with Newley and Bogut etc, but thats still only 2 players. I'm very optimistic but I still don't think we will get anywhere near gold.

Reply #19206 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:01 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754