billo
Years ago

Olympic Coverage: UK vs Channel 7

With every 2nd thread being about how poor channel 7's coverage of the games has been I thought I'd let you know what the coverage is like in the UK which will hopefully provide you with a glimmer of hope for future games when Australia has fully embraced digital TV and all it has to offer.

The main broadcaster is the BBC (sort of like a mixture between the ABC and a commercial station, ie government owned but they rate well) but Eurosport acts as a secondary provider for some of the less mainstream events, such as basketball. Within the BBC broadcast you can hit the red button on your remote and select from about 4 or 5 sports plus a constant highlight package of the day, so if you're not into the diving they're showing on the main feed you can switch to the badminton stadium, or the boxing ring or whatever. Obviously a choice of 4 or 5 sports doesn't cover the full spectrum, but it's a lot better than no choice at all. A downside of these additional channels is that you can't record them on a Sky Plus box.

Eurosport is bloody excellent. I watched and taped the USA China match on Sunday, and tomorrow's Australia Argentina match is being shown live in its entirety, I'll be at work while it's on but I'll be taping it and am certainly looking forward to getting home and engrossing myself in it at the end of the day.

I'm surprised that 7 aren't showing more sports through their digital channels (or are they? Just not basketball?). Either way I'm confident that in 4 years time things will have improved and we will all enjoy the 1-2 punch of Bogut and Mills leading Australia to the podium.

Topic #16839 | Report this topic

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

Billo, u just made me cry man...i hope your happy!

Reply #198146 | Report this post

Arny  
Years ago

NBC is streaming live on their website. I wonder if you will have access to it from Australian servers. its worth a shot.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/

Reply #198151 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

"I'm surprised that 7 aren't showing more sports through their digital channels (or are they? Just not basketball?)"

Nah Billo, all the Seven digital channels have the exact same programming as the main Seven does - ridiculous !!

Reply #198272 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Speed44, that is ridiculous!

Reply #198341 | Report this post

brenoz36  
Years ago

ridiculous is just the start of this mess, swimming has interrupted the america vs greece basketball, not when they are just about off we have to hear minutes of meaningless drivvle. as well as 3 repeats of australian girls winning gold, Oh lord this has put me right off these games watch channel ten they are offering $10,000 just for sms code at least that way if you win you could go to the next olympics. :)

Reply #199181 | Report this post

Brian  
Years ago

I'm crying too, to think of all we're missing. The coverage we are getting in Australia from Channel 7 is pathetic and parochial but you give me hope for the future. Enjoy your coverage in the UK -- looking forward to 2012!

Reply #199539 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hi

Reply #209902 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:15 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754