Anonymous
Years ago

Erin's court time/lack of

What's the deal with Erin Pholips lack of court time at the olympics?

Topic #16845 | Report this topic

The Journo  
Years ago

Stirling should only have picked one out of Phillips and Tully.
That would have made way for someone like Porter?

Reply #198186 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

its a puzzle to me, maybe Jan is making her earn her stripes? its just like brett rotting on the bench during the previous games.

Reply #198188 | Report this post

Juror 12  
Years ago

This is not puzzling at all.

First of all to Journo - you MUST take 3 point guards to an international tournament to cover injury. Boomers are risking an injury but I guess they have Barlow or Ingles who may be able to backup thepoint if absolutely necessary. I don't really see any non PG's on the Opals side that could do it.

Second - I wonder if BA had anything to do with Erin's selection? She seemed to be getting a lot of publicity BEFORE the team had even been picked. I think Alicia Poto was very unlucky not to make it. Maybe Jan wanted Poto in the team and Erin's minute's are reflecting that?

Reply #198190 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Erin was obviously selected as the third PG option.

Considering Harrower and Tully are both over 30 maybe Jan felt she needed a third option in that position.

Maybe Jan felt Erin needed to be in the team considering both Harrower and Tully could be playing their last Olympics and she wanted Erin there to understand and experience the level of basketball that would be played.

Erin has been solid in the WNBL but Harrower and Tully have a lot of international experience, which is probably Erin's biggest flaw and the reason she's going to play in Israel next season instead of staying in Adelaide with the Lightning.

Reply #198191 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will hopefully be good experience for her - bit of a reality check

Reply #198194 | Report this post

Opals4Gold  
Years ago

I keep reading Poto should be there, Poto should be there infront of Phillips, the fact is Poto isn't there and Phillips is, If the Australian Selectors thought that Poto should be there they would have selected her. Phillips has worked her butt off to come back from her knee injury and I think she deserves her spot in the 12. Phillips is the next up and coming Australian point guard she needs to get that International exposure. Yes she is getting limited minutes but its only the second game for crying out loud.

From the Olympics Phillips is going to Connecticut so we will see how she goes over there. I know that Coach T has a lot of confidence in Erin he come out and said it in the last televised Connecticut game even the commentator gave her a great wrap.

So yes she is getting limited minutes but look at the 2 girls infront of her, she would be learning a lot from those girls that will only benefit her in the future.

Keep going Erin

Reply #198203 | Report this post

donato  
Years ago

I would have thought Erin had her reality check the last time she was under Stirling.

Reply #198296 | Report this post

-  
Years ago

How is this a suprise to anyone?
Harrower is clearly the court general of the Opals.
Tully if the defensive extroadinare who has gone through hell and back to just make an opals squad.
And phillips is.. who?
Sure, shes an up and coming super star, there is no doubting that. But putting her on the same team as Harrower and Tully and trying to justify her taking any minutes away from those two is ludacris.
And I think that Phillips probably knows it too! Theres no way that Jan Stirling would ever have given Philips the impression that she was going to be getting huge minutes, if she did then thats fooling no-one.

Erin should (and probably is!) wait for her turn in London, because she'll kill it there! But not in Beijing...

Reply #198324 | Report this post

knowledge  
Years ago

also noticed snell and taylor have been playing the 2 spot as well.
it's all a learning experience for erin. her chance will come. she is an intelligent girl and would not be expecting huge minutes.
in a situation where a gold medal is at stake a good coach will always play her strongest and most experienced players.
good game from laura summerton last night and the european experience has made her a much better player.

Reply #198344 | Report this post

Years ago

experience - maybe keeping her in check a bit as well - she is a gun and you must have the right match ups - maybe just not the right match up yet

Reply #198740 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:38 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754