Boomer
Years ago

Boomers 2012

I know it's pretty early, but I'm excited about some of our young guys and I was wondering what our national team might look like at the next games...

PG: Mills/Bruce
SG: Newley/Ingles
SF Barlow/Worthington
PF: Jawai/Ogilvy
C: Bogut/Schenscher

Coach: Marty Clarke

Which other guys will get a look in?
Aleks Maric
Aaron Baynes
Luke Nevill
Matt Dellavadova
Jordan Page
Alex Loughton
Daniel Johnson

Theres more I have forgotten too i'm sure...

Topic #16863 | Report this topic

twenty four  
Years ago

Anderson might still be around, as he's only 28.

In all honesty, I don't think Schenscher will be around the mark by 2012. Ogilvy and Jawai will be/already are better, and Maric would be very close too.

Reply #198540 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Those disappointed by the performances of the Boomers at Brijing must realise that the Boomer's future is bright.

Lets be honest, we were spoilt in the Gaze Era. We were blessed with an international superstar who was Australia's go to man when things got tough. He was also well supported by good role players who knew their roles well and understood how to be a very good team. There were also only three recognised powerhouse countries at the time, the USA, U.S.S.R (later Russia and Lithuania) and Yugoslavia (later Croatia and Serbia).

The departures of Gaze, Vlahov, Bradtke, Longley and Heal within a small period of time saw our national team lose five starters with an average of 12 years of international experience between them. More importantly we lost our star player and had no-one with the skills and leadership qualities to replace him. There was no succession planning for when Gaze and Co ended their careers and bench players and juniors were burdened with the challenge of filling some big shoes with no-one to show them how. Not surprisingly we tumbled in the world rankings.

At the moment Anstey, Bruton and Neilson are our most experienced players with an average of 6 years of senior international experience and this will be their last campaign. These players, along with Smith, McKinnon and lesser degree Saville, have filled the breach since the Gaze era however these players are role players on the international scene, not superstars.

Our current 'superstars' are a 19 year old point guard and a 23 year old centre. These guys are still young and will become accustom to the pressures of expectation. Just as important is the fact they are surrounded by a good group of solid young players (Newley, Jawai, Barlow, Ogilvy, Ingles and even Worthington) that could develop into a very good nucleus over the next 10 years if given the opportunities.

Unlike other teams competing in Beijing, our superstars are still a few years away from being household names across the world. This group of young players are getting a great learning experience and more importantly are developing into a team which will play together for the next 10+ years.

Finally perhaps we should try not to be too critical of Brian Goorjian. While it appears he is limited at international level we should acknowledge that he (and Phil) were placed in a very difficult positions. This too will probably be his last campaign, but at least he is giving our future stars an opportunity to prepare themselves for future glories.

I'm not a fan of Goorjian, however I do wish to pose this question. Were Robert Shaw's two years as Crows coach a waste of time or did he help deliver a premiership?

Reply #198541 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

My only question concering Goorj is who replaces him?'
We do have some great talent and by London 2012 we should be a real medal threat, and for at least another 4 years after that.

Reply #198543 | Report this post

_  
Years ago

Front runners would be Marty Clarke, Ian Stacker and dare i say it Brendan Joyce.

My belief is that the next coach actually has to have experience coaching in tournaments and internationally.

I feel this is Gorj's down fall, is a well prepared coach when he has a week to prepare but tournament coaching is very different and i feel he struggles to be ready for a game the next day.

Also i believe the position needs to go back to being a full time Australian coach. Gorj has shown that doing both NBL and Aus job opens up for bias and the position deserves to be full time if we are serious about getting a medal.

Reply #198545 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Gorj has shown that doing both NBL and Aus job opens up for bias and the position deserves to be full time if we are serious about getting a medal.

Serious?....I reckon that was probably highlighed just as much by the guy before.

Reply #198553 | Report this post

Qlder  
Years ago

Stacker? Comedy hour has begun.

Reply #198560 | Report this post

Black Dracula  
Years ago

Some nice points by "big ads".

I would also suggest that given some Euro experience, David Barlow and Joe Ingles could become very effective players of international basketball...similar to the path Newley is currently travelling.

Next Olympics, I would hope we have Jawai (who, fingers crossed, has 4 seasons of NBA experience by then!), Millsy would be out of college (and maybe - coming off a rookie NBA season?)

Alot of Australia's problem is just that as someone said elsewhere, we won't beat euro teams at their own game. We need players with significant international experience before we can really make a dent in world basketball.

Reply #198573 | Report this post

Dry Back  
Years ago

London 2012 squad, which needs to be whittled down to 12 but you might have 6 or 7 NBA players in there come 2012.

PG- Mills/Bruce/Markovic
SG- Newley/Ingles
SF- Ater Majok/Worthington/Barlow
PF- Jawai/Ogilvy/Kickert/Loughton
C- Bogut/Maric/Neville/M.Knight/Baynes

Plus throw in some of the young AIS guys who perform over the next four years and maybe Anderson if he is still around.

Hopefully we also get a decent coach who is not affiliated with any NBL club so that it stops the Kendalls and Helliwells getting a shot.

Reply #198574 | Report this post

the_champ33  
Years ago

I hope Jawai will be available next time around.

Perhaps Darren Ng will develop and improve a lot more by 2012 and be worthy of a call-up?

I'd love to see Dazza Ng in a Boomers uniform

Reply #198579 | Report this post

MH  
Years ago

Darren Ng???????

PG- Mills/Bruce/Markovic
SG- Newley/Ingles
SF- Ater Majok/Worthington/Barlow
PF- Jawai/Ogilvy/Kickert/Loughton
C- Bogut/Maric/Neville/M.Knight/Baynes

WHo does he beat to make the team. You make me laugh

Reply #198589 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

We have talent in this year's team and should be performing better than we are!

Reply #198593 | Report this post

Sector 7G  
Years ago

Good to see everybody jumping to the defence of "the guy before"

Reply #198599 | Report this post

hurley  
Years ago

id debate that isaac we lost to an unbeaten croatia and argentina... we werent expected to win either... if we can take iran and russia we could still make something of this tournament weve just gotta get better.

Reply #198637 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

Big Ads makes some good points however I would suggest that the Boomers currently have the most talented frontline they have ever possessed with Bogut, Anderson, Nielson and Anstey. These guys have played in the NBA, in Europe, in Russia and should be performing better.

Also, don't forget that CJ Bruton was one of the best performers at the World Championships 2 years ago in Japan. He is a world class shooter but Croatia and Argentina have both played excellent defense on him made easier by the fact that we have so few other scoring options. Yes, our shooting guards and small forwards (without Sam Mackinnon) are definate weaknesses but we have well and truly not performed anywhere near our potential so far.

I'm not sure what is wrong with Bogut - maybe he doesn't want to aggravate his ankle injury before the NBA season starts but we lack any real leadership which we clearly had when Gaze was playing.

What is most concerning to me is the manner in which we are playing - there is no passion or emotion. Playing for your country should be one of if not the highlight of your basketball career but these guys are playing like they don't even care!

Ads, you can guarantee that Uni SA will show more passion in its div 4 final tonight that what we have been seeing from the Boomers!

Reply #198673 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ingles would have overtaken Newley by then.

US commentators the other night were already saying he has a better feel for the game than Newley now.

Reply #198676 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Hurley, Iran should be a lock and Croatia was our next best chance I thought.

Is this the easier group to be in?

Reply #198725 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

"Is this the easier group to be in?"

Interesting debate. You would have thought that we would have been able to beat Angola and China in the other pool but have had no chance against the US, Spain or Greece.

In our pool the only lock is Iran but the other teams are arguably not as strong as Greece, Spain and the US. However, given that Russia won Eurobasket 2007, Argentina are defending gold medalists, and Lithuania and Croatia are always excellent basketball nations you could mount an argument either way.

Reply #198764 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ater Majok at SF for the Boomers 2012??? At the risk of being called a player-hater, please we need to put this in perspective. I have seen him play and I can tell you this.

a.) Has not played at any Aust under-age champs. there's a reason why;
b.) Is a highly promoted 'playa' from Ed Smiths 'school' in Sydney, strange that he's listed on the UConn site as coming from Parramatta Marist;
c.) Has been offered a D1 scholarship at Connecticut, now expereincing issues with meeting academic eligibility;
d.) If he plays, he's listed at 6'10" (closer to 6' 7") and I don't see him ever being a small forward, absolutely no foot speed or the bulk required. He's a D1 prospect for (6'10") reasons.

I can name 3 candidates at his age or older that are more likely to represent.

Reply #198840 | Report this post

Dry Back  
Years ago

yeah i dont know much about the kid just read a couple of articles that said he was decent and that several top D1 colleges were after him.

Reply #198847 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Gaze is no international superstar, he's just Australian Star.You go to europe, usa etc. he wouldn't be that well known...

That line up look good though. the only weakness I can see is the 2 spot. If Newley can be upgraded, that'd be a even better start line up IMO. cos you'd have:
Mills (fast as hell), Upgraded SG (hopefully faster, Newley too slow right now for international guard), Barlow (extremely versatile for his height), 2 NBA player at 4 and 5...

Reply #198905 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

"Gaze is no international superstar, he's just Australian Star.You go to europe, usa etc. he wouldn't be that well known..."

You have got to be kidding don't you??

Seton Hall, San Antonio Spurs, Washington ring a bell at all?

That and he is the second highest scorer in Olympic history would tell me something else there..

Reply #198916 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Gaze is no international superstar, he's just Australian Star.You go to europe, usa etc. he wouldn't be that well known...

You complete and utter twat.

Reply #198924 | Report this post

johnny sack  
Years ago

DB - not forgetting that he played in Greece in the mid-late 90`s and is well known and respected there (and in greater Europe) as a result as well...

As has been said many times in many places - Gaze came along in the wrong era... Some one put it this way (on ozhoops) as a 20 year-old Gaze already had an impressive resume (olympics, league leading scorer, blah blah...) - if a guy like that came along now he would be a lottery pick in a heartbeat...

Gaze is a superstar of International Bball - no matter how you slice it...

Reply #198925 | Report this post

johnny sack  
Years ago

Cecil is that you?

Reply #198927 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

bahahaha johnny sack.

Nice, thanks for that.

Reply #198933 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Majok will be there. The kid can play! He is projected as a lottery pick in 2010.

Reply #199214 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mills/Bruce
Newley/Barlow
Ingles/Majok
Jawai/Andersen
Bogut/Ogilvy

Maybe add Worthington and Jorden Page

Reply #199215 | Report this post

Anonmous  
Years ago

Majok - the most over-rated, over-publicised, under-acheiver I have ever seen.

Plenty of D1 coaches have been sucked in before, and Majok is riding on some Aussie reputation that he hasn't contributed an iota to. How do you say red-shirt.

If you reckon he can play, you must have seen him tear it up at some Aussie National Champs. That's right he hasn't. How did he go at the Kansas shin-dig, mmmmm.

Ed Smith is a BS artist and his meal ticket just got a gig in a D1 college - good on him. Don't beleive his or some Draft Express w**kers dream of him being an NBA first rounder, he's got to learn to play first - organised basketball that is.

When Majok's play backs up his press, I'll stand corrected, until then here are three guys I think have more a chance as a 2012 Boomer SF (and I should have said I can name at least 3, not just 3):
Ryan Broekhoff
Cody Ellis, and
Jesse Wagstaff.

These 3 have already worn the green and gold, you might reserach their accomplishments, and see that it takes a bit more than a publicist to get a Boomers gig.

Reply #199541 | Report this post

acouth  
Years ago

Some of the comments I have read as well as the following quote:"Majok - the most over-rated, over-publicised, under-acheiver I have ever seen." - from some-one who has seen him. "Majok is riding on some Aussie reputation that he hasn't contributed an iota to." is:

(a)Typical of a person who believes that only someone in Australia, who comes through the Australian basketball system, is worthy of merit

(b)envious of achievement by a hard working individual

(c)thinks he is smarter than the following college coaches who recruited him hard Scott Drew (Baylor)Bob Hugging (WVU),Jim Calhoun (UCONN), Gary Williams (UMD), Bill Self (Kansas),John Calipari (Memphis), Ben Howland (UCLA), Jerry Wainwright (Depaul) as well as the Scout Hoops who ranked Ater #28 and Rivals who ranked Ater #13 after seeing him play numerous of times including the Derby Classic where he scored the first 7 points and finished with 14pts, 2-2 from the 3pt line, in 19 minutes. All of these people saw Ater play in person on numerous of occasions (he spent over 3 months playing in the US in an academy organized by coach Smith) and came to the same conclusion: NBA Pro in 2 years

(d)Here are a few links of the people that coach Smith weaves a magic wand and make them write good thing about Ater. He sure has some spell over all of these US scouts and college Coaches:

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/viewrank.asp?ra_key=1617

http://www.draftexpress.com/rankings/NCAA-Freshman/

http://slamonline.com/online/2008/09/top-5-nba-power-forward-prospects/

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/luke_winn/07/08/2008-2009-fearless-basketball-predictions/index.html

and just in case you missed the game (this explains your lame comments that he was a "non-effect" here is the link:
http://www.wazoosports.com/derbyclassic

and last but not least, the comment "When Majok's play backs up his press, I'll stand corrected" is atypical of the cyniscism, crabs in a bucket, guilty until proven innocent, backwards mentality that exist in supporting Australians who "give it a go". If Ater just graduates from college with a degree (like Martin Iti) he would have had a great experience in life. Until then I support anyone who has the opportunity to be placed in a good life for attempting to achieve their dream.

Reply #205211 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hopefully Shawn Redhage, Luke Nevill and Liam Rush (apparently doing well in Sweden) will be considered as well.

Reply #232711 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:15 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754