Anonymous
Years ago

Success of women coaches

The success associated with the opals and their coach Stirling suggests that it might be worth getting more women involved with the state program. NG seems to think that only men are worthy of head coach positions but their success has been solely dependent upon having superstars in them., Give the women a go.

Topic #16893 | Report this topic

skud  
Years ago

Not a bad idea honestly, Although the womans basketball is played at a different style I do think there skill set is more technically correct. Since they dont have the athelticism to jump over others they move the ball better looking for open shots.

Reply #198937 | Report this post

Camel toe  
Years ago

Which women coaches deserve a go?

Reply #198965 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"success has been solely dependent upon having superstars in them"

Lauren Jackson, Penny Taylor?

Do you know how many, if any, actually apply to be state coaches? Are there actually any good enough to do it anyway? The only one I can think of wouild be Lynne Holland.

Reply #198994 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon, referring to state team success and which teams achieved with what personnel. Teams with players like Francis et al in them did well in spite of coaching.
Would the boys club welcome women coaches, I don't think so. Despite the success of WNBL women coaches and National's success for women coaches, not much chance of women breaking in here.
We have plenty of skilled and experienced women players and coaches but not the willingness to enlist them.Most know its a closed shop.
Until BSA are open for business we will have to endure more of the same poor communicating styles that dominate male coaching ranks and fail to address the issues that women's sport need.

Reply #199045 | Report this post

Camel toe  
Years ago

Which ones?

Reply #199055 | Report this post

Edinburgh 65  
Years ago

"We have plenty of skilled and experienced women players and coaches but not the willingness to enlist them"

Big statement. Back it up with names or else you have no credibility.

Reply #199062 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"referring to state team success and which teams achieved with what personnel. Teams with players like Francis et al in them did well in spite of coaching.
"

And the same could be said of Jan and the Opals (and often are in Canberra, Sydney and Melbourne) - they have the best player in the world in Jackson.

There is ZERO chance of breaking in if they don't apply - it's as simple as that. Most state head coaches have done an apprenticeship as an assistant first - the only female (Metro) coaches I can think of in the recent past who have done that are Lynne Holland, Bec Campbell and (I think) Nicole Johnson. Do others apply? And if so, what are their credentials that make them better candidates than those currently there?

As for it being a closed shop - there are assistants this year from (I believe) Centrals and South - hardly common grounds for state coaches and neither I think are SASI coaches - but they applied and were deemed suitable candidates.

Correct Ed - no credibility.

Reply #199087 | Report this post

Paul  
Years ago

The Country boys were coaches by a female at 16's I think??

Reply #199222 | Report this post

TheShopIsOpen  
Years ago

I think you will find now that even Assistants have to apply and justify their position. This is overseen by the competitions committee. Its always interesting to hear individuals that have been around the game at a top district level for 5 minutes comment on these appointments without knowing any of their backgrounds or experience. If you apply and dont get a role then ask to find out why!

The job isn't exactly full of fame and fortune and I am sure any coach or assistant would welcome a more qualified person than themselves filling their respective roles.

Reply #199229 | Report this post

Wam Soosnam  
Years ago

Who are the female coaches coaching Div 1 basketball Seniors or Juniors?

Seniors-West /???
Juniors - Woodville- 14g/18g
West-12g/18g
Sturt ?
Forrestville 10g
Norwood 12g/ 10g
Southern 14g/10g
South 16g(summer)
North 16g.
Centrals ?

Thats 11 female coaches for womens basketball at the upper level. Lets double it and say 22 for the sake of an arguement.

Any of those up to it????

What would happen if all us dads didn't coach our daughters...There would be no womens basketball!!

Reply #199235 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So no women apply or the ones that do aren't good enough, is that the call?

Reply #199241 | Report this post

Wam Soosnam  
Years ago

I would say that Lynne Holland at Woodville would have to be the most able to take a state team at this point??
Has she applies?
who knows
The rest wouldn't be close to the standard, except Tanya Dhu, but she is already at the top.

Reply #199249 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think women are encouraged to apply or given reasons to think their applications would be well received but coaches and women like Nagy, Bailey, Lamshed, Patterson,or any of the current or past ABL players would reinvigorate the women's state program.
How many women involved in SASI as coaches? Holland then who?
Why is that and why is SASI known as the "boy's club?" Where do all the ex SASI and ABL women go and why isn't there a push to get more involved in coaching at elite levels?
Seems like there are to many jobs for life in basketball in SA with not many questions welcomed about why.

Reply #199256 | Report this post

Edinburgh 65  
Years ago

Nagy has daughters involved so couldn't. Bailey, more info is needed on who she is. Lamshed give us what she has done coaching wise now she is not playing. Patterson has already been involved heavily so I would assume that she is not interested but have you got any more on this. Lynn Holland is learning the trade and may head coach in the future. Nicole Johnson went to Melbourne. Tania Dhu is with the Lightning.

Again #256 you give your opinion (which you are entitled to) as if it were fact and do it continually over many threads. If you had sone names that were suitable to back up your claims you might have some credibility. You say your questions are not welcome but that is only because you cannot back them up with facts or realistic alternatives.

Reply #199260 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't know everything had to go through you for suitability checks Ed. I'm sure Holland will be glad to hear she's still an apprentice and you haven't answered why your not trying to get more women ex ABl and SASI graduates involved in both SASI and the State program.

Reply #199272 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because they are not coaching junior teams 199272 !!!

WE all want women coaching, but get the numbers up , then the quality will come.

Can't run a state team unless you can run a Div1 u/16/18/20 or senior team!!

Reply #199297 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No suitable examples given. No credibility.

Reply #199319 | Report this post

woodville had tracy yorke take them to grand final and them had all the KB knockers saying she did all the ground work when they won - horses for courses -
thnk every aba club have jaan stirling calling shots if opportunity or in higher age bouys division be awesome experience
think all comes back to numbers game clubs need to encourage more female coaches quality then follows

Reply #199357 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:19 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754