Anonymous
Years ago

Goaltending Definition

A friend of mine was just asking me about goaltending. I have a fair bit of basketball knowledge but I was unable to fully explain what makes a goaltending and why the rule exists. He said that if someone has intercepted the ball before it reaches the basket that is a good effort and why shouldn't that be allowed. Please help.

Topic #16899 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

If goal-tending were legal, I think people would struggle to score!

Reply #199035 | Report this post

Skin  
Years ago

My understanding is that if the ball is on the way down from the peak of its height it is considered goal tending.

The rule exist IMO so that tall people with no skill cant sit under the basket and swat every shot out (like in NBA JAM when you are on fire).

Reply #199050 | Report this post

Black Dracula  
Years ago

Pretty much if the path of the ball is altered by a defender after a shot has reached its apex and started falling.

You'd probably find if there was no goaltending, you'd get fewer fouls called on shot block attempts (because a defender wouldn't have to jump at the same time as the shooter to try to get the ball before it's on the way down). People would just wait til the ball is in a place where they can swat it without touching anyone.

Reply #199058 | Report this post

Juror 12  
Years ago

I've always wanted to watch an exhibition game where goal tending is allowed. How funny would it be. Basically people would have to dunk to score. It would be interesting to se what tactics a team would use. Personally on defence, I'd go for my two biggest guys/jumpers under the basket then a ring of three guys outside of them to take charges. I'm not sure on offence - maybe play a couple of cheerleaders to try and distract (any way they can!) and then your three best dunkers.

Reply #199060 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Remember the offensive team can goal tend just the same as the defensive

Reply #199064 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Juror - that needs to be tried, I agree. I also want to see a trial where dunks are 3-5 points and other crazy rules.

Soccer needs to do it too. Watched parts of the Olyroos vs Ivory Coast and it was really quite boring.

Reply #199065 | Report this post

DaddyO  
Years ago

FM, why would the offensive team goal tend? They wouldn't be given the points, surely?

Reply #199070 | Report this post

Juror 12  
Years ago

Yeah, I think there has been some posts about the soccer on here before when we were talking about Twenty20 equivalents. Stuff like no off side, no goalies etc. Those guys have some freakish skills but (IMO) we don't really see them all that often during normal games.

Reply #199082 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

In soccer, what about putting some sort of wall (without blocking spectator views) on either side (and above) the goals? Would enable some interesting bounce/deflection tactics?

Soccer highlights and goals are great to watch. Entire 0-0 games are just so careful and tedious.

Reply #199092 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

And if the ball hits the backboard on a shot and someone blocks it after it is also a goaltend

Reply #199116 | Report this post

Pele  
Years ago

I once had an idea for soccer to replace penalties in knockout games that were still tied after overtime. I thought that winning a game (some FA Cups and World Cups have been won on penalties) that way just wasn't cricket. Instead of penalties, the goal keepers aren't allowed to use their hands - they just operate the same way as outfield players. Maybe that would be a good way to run Twenty 20 soccer.

Reply #199208 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:44 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754