billo
Years ago

Goorj to Bogut bashers - BACK OFF

Intersting article about Goorjian saying our failure is not the fault of Bogut's sub-par performance.

A couple of things I picked up. Firstly he comments that "Yao Ming cannot carry China on his back" on the very day Yao scores 30 points on 10/11 shooting and 10/11 from the line.

Next up he says that due to his late arrival Bogut is not responsible for our results "I've said that our success is based on how Brad Newley, (David) Barlow, how Patty Mills, how Joe Ingles, how those guys play.". I struggle to take him seriously if he's expecting me to swallow that Ingles's 7 minutes a game has more impact on the result than our NBA star's 20 minutes.

I can see what he's doing trying to take the pressure off the player and divert it on himself as coach, and that's admirable, but his logic seems a little off. This also raises the question of why he's only getting 20 minutes of court time a game, AK47 played all but 30 seconds today for his line of 17 points, 6 boards, 6 assists, 6 steal and 3 blocks. If Bogut is the main man on this team then let's give him 35 minutes to see what he can do, if that means Anstey only sees 5 minutes then so be it.

Or maybe there's more to it?

Topic #16913 | Report this topic

tickle  
Years ago

Bogut has been outstanding in every international tournament he has played in for Australia prior to this one. There is nothing to suggest he is a stuck-up, pouting NBA star.

Most of the evidence would point to his turned ankle right before the tournament. It's very hard to recoup your power through the legs in a short period of time with ankle injuries.

Overall, the NBA competition is not so much better than elsewhere that teams can be reliant on individual NBA players. Look at what Greece, Lithuania etc. do. One man teams will go nowhere in the current international baskeball scene (Germany is a decent example). We must become a champion _team_.

Reply #199186 | Report this post

drb  
Years ago

billo goorj is too smart to come out in the media and blame it on bogut, as bogut is the golden boy of australian basketball. Bogut is more powerful than goorj himself when it comes to BA. Bogut and Goorj relationship has never been good, they clashed in athens as well.

Reply #199187 | Report this post

drb  
Years ago

billo goorj is too smart to come out in the media and blame it on bogut, as bogut is the golden boy of australian basketball. Bogut is more powerful than goorj himself when it comes to BA. Bogut and Goorj relationship has never been good, they clashed in athens as well.

Reply #199188 | Report this post

tickle  
Years ago

So I guess what Goorjian is trying to say is that Bogut is to be just another cog in the machine - "What Bogut does in my environment has been my decision and how Bogut is used and was used today has been my decision."

This must be the case if Australia is to move forward from the current Olympics. We need the likes of Bogut, Mills, Ingles, Newley and the others to come in - Jawai, Ogilvy and Bruce - to develop the same cohesion and offensive crispness as say, Argentina and Greece. It won't happen overnight.

Reply #199190 | Report this post

drb  
Years ago

i also read into this that goorj may not give up the coaching role like he mentioned. He will need the support of bogut if he wishes to continue and by god goorj u truly are the best ass kisser.

Reply #199193 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

This time I agree with goorj. I said the same re Bogut not having to carry the team on his shoulders.
Look at the Opals. They do OK when LJ is in foul trouble. The rest can pick it up.

Reply #199194 | Report this post

mark  
Years ago

DRB
How the F would you know that Bogut & Goorj clashed in 2004. Brian is hands down the best coach in Australia right now. The next best is not even around being Bruce Palmer (incedentally Brians best friend!)The Aussies havent played well end of Fing story give it a rest and pull your head out of your fat non achieving ass. Where have you competed other than S.A's Dope growing competitions in which you won states dirtiest "hong kong" competition!!!

Reply #199196 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

I like the idea, but do you think our best player should be "just another cog" playing only half a game and registering less minutes than David Barlow? I don't.

I also don't think the Opals/Lauren Jackson comparison is valid, our second best Opal happens to be good enough to win tournament MVP at the world champs and the team is head and shoulders above all other teams in the competition (besides the US). The men's competition is so tight teams really need to be firing on all cylinders to even make the knock out rounds.

Reply #199210 | Report this post

Drb  
Years ago

mark, i was at the athens olympics and witnessed it first hand.

Reply #199220 | Report this post

mark  
Years ago

I take it back then. I didnt realise I was dealing with an Olympian . My hat goes off to you my friend congratulations for being part of the team! A mighty effort that not too many can state and an impressive line on ones C.V. of life!

Reply #199224 | Report this post

mark...I wasn't at the Athens Olympics but know personally Boguts team mates who witnessed Boguts complete meltdown...he made Leyton Hewitt seem like a choir boy

Your living in complete wonderland if you think Bruce Palmer is the second best coach in Australia...seriously mark you have zero credibility...your the Chris Dittmar of this forum

Reply #199237 | Report this post

shin splints  
Years ago

Mark, take it easy mate.

Bogut has said himeslef last week that he acted like an immature, spoilt 19 year old in Athens - I took that as either clashing with the coaching staff or teammates or both.

drb's first hand account (probably as a spectator) is not the first time I have been told this.

I agree with you that BG is the best option we have for the Boomers job right now. But whether that is due to lack of alternative options, or simply because BG is an outstanding coach - well, thats for everyone to make up their own mind.

Reply #199238 | Report this post

???  
Years ago

Brett Maher's book will tell all!

Reply #199253 | Report this post

mark  
Years ago

Maybe I wasnt clear enough in stating that I took it back. The debate has really made me look at all the basketball experts that reside in our most underated state in the country in a new light. Any thoughts on Ken Cole making a comeback as boomers coach?

Reply #199257 | Report this post

_  
Years ago

I think that the way our national teams go is reflective of the competitions in our country too.

The stronger the local comp the better the national teams.

The Opals have been somewhat an exception to the rule although the league has had some strong years.

Once the local leagues are stronger, medals will become regular in the Olympics and Worlds

Reply #199259 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

tickle - I can't help but bite on that one. A minor ankle injury? Any basketball player should be able to play with a minor ankle injury (especially a big man who doesn't rely on athleticism and agility). You tape/brace it, warm it up and don't even know it is sore after about 2 minutes.

Good on Gorj for taking the wrap off Bogut. But it doesn't change the fact he has falt out stunk in this tournament, one which after a few years in the NBA he should have come out and put up almost 20 and 10 per game. Of course, he needs more minutes and more of the ball to do that but he has to demand both. Right now he is not playing well enough to leave him out there for long patches.

And he has far too big of a mouth too. Let your game do the talking big fella, then let your mouth do it later..

Reply #199380 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #397305 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:19 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754