Ripped Off
Years ago

Fair Go at South Adelaide

Not wanting to sound a bad loser, but last night we saw a very biased umpiring performance.

In previouse encounters at Marion, we have experienced some indifferent umpiring decisions, but in previous encounters, Souths had never come close to winning.

Last night South's were competative, but with that the level of umpiring reached new heights.
Both umpires are supposedly ABA refs.
This really surprised me.

Am I being biased, or do other clubs have problems when playing at Marion.

I do not want to take anything away from the South boys performance. They did play very well. It was a marked improvement, and they are progressing well.

I am interested to see what other people think?

Topic #16927 | Report this topic

u16mum  
Years ago

What age group???? I don't normally make comments on here but U16 South Boys had to win the next 3 games to be in finals!!!! They would never be expected to beat Sturt!!!!! I have always found at South one particular player from U16 is very protected by umpires!!!!!! It does sound it may have been one sided umpiring!!!! Or maybe South played the match of their lives....there has been a lot of upsets this year!!!!

Reply #199403 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

South boys have been inconsistent all year.
They have great players but dont always get on the same page at the same time. When they do, you get a result like last night.
Hey they lost last week to Southern at their home. Yeah the reffing was terrible but kudos to the southern team as they played well and deserved the win.
South Boys only played with 6 players against a full team last night.
Said protected player (he would argue that the oposite is true, that he gets too much called against him) did not play due to illness.
Boys played well.
Refs did ok not the worst reffing to be had by a long shot. For those that dont know one was Wayne Maidment who has just been acknowledged for his 400 ABA game(Definitely not a rookie)
Sturt boys where bitching amongst them selves, possibly this was the reason
Sturt parents where over the top....one in particular, but hey a wins a win and it was the only Sturt team to lose at Marion last night.
The 16 div 2 boys won against sturt last night at pasadena, I suppose that was due to bad/bias reffing in their home stadium too :)

Reply #199404 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

South's umpires at Marion last night set new low standards in all games against all visiting teams.

Reply #199413 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

seriously give the umpires a break! listen to yourselves absolute wingers! umpires make mistakes on occasions and everyone just jumps all over them! the fact is you lost deal with it. Move on to your game next week.

Reply #199419 | Report this post

I watched the game last night, and trust me the umpires had no input, of course being from sturt it must be first reaction to blame the umpires. I have nothing to do with both clubs. It was only when south slowly edging ahead that the sturt boys rushed and made a couple of mistakes, on which south were able to capitalises on. But Sturt did fight back. The game was enjoyable to watch from a spectators point of view. As i recall the whilst didnt blow in the last couple of minutes and a the refs let the boys win the game. If it was biased why didnt the the sturt boys complain at all. But i did notice the sturt parents yelling and things that were never there.

P.S Im lead to belive that there are refereeing course coming up for any of those that are willing to learn or want to help themselves with new rule knowledge. Im not being sacrcastic but feelfree to apply.

Reply #199450 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All clubs have players that are protected by refs, its just something that you have to live with. The players just get shown up when they are not protected. In regards to the reffing i also have to agree that the refs didn't have much or any impact on the final outcome. If you went to the Norwood vs North ABA semi final where case could have been made you might have a different perspective on what bad and biased reffing is.
Congrats to South for a well played game well deserved win.

Reply #199535 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you can't tell me the umpiring at Marion was worse than Pasadena - pity the kids being taught by the so called UIC.

I'm from neither team but i dread the umpiring at Southern and Pasadena - never had an issue at Marion.

But of course Sturt couldn't lose due to player or coach performances - therfore must be the refs.

Reply #199704 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Combining all stats over the season (Div1, boys, girls) it is possible to work out whether or not there is a home advantage for some clubs. I did so 2 years ago to because I felt that my team was consistently hard done by at some stadia due to biased refereeing.

The stats proved me wrong in several instances. That is, my team might have been hard done by on occasion, but there was no general bias (a) against my club; (b) in favour of the home club; (c) for my club at home.

The analysis also showed that the only club with a statistically significant home advantage in junior Div1 was South.
But this was two years ago.

Maybe BSA should have a look at this year's competition and work out where home advantages were. Then work with IUC's and referees to fix potential problems. A fair competition should be preferred.

Reply #199779 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Give me a break. What a load of crock. How accurate do you think that stat would have been, based on one team playing maybe twice in an away stadium during any one given season.
And only the only stat you could use would have been a foul count from a score sheet. Jesus dont go into rocket science will you.

Reply #199981 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am talking about all age groups, all junior matches boys and girls, and then looking at whether there is a home or away (dis)advantage for some clubs at some stadia, not for individual teams.

If a referee does enough matches one could find out about referee bias for or against some clubs as well.

Reply #200910 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I am sure everyone on this site would love to hear what 'stats' can prove that umpires are biased.

Reply #200913 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

With finals rounds coming up - will the refs be seen to be impartial? eg final at North Adelaide would you get 1 perhaps Rockets ref 1 from another club (if you are playing Rockets)???

Reply #200964 | Report this post

Shut up  
Years ago

I think u need to stop crying sturt. Oh wow u lost, build a bridge and get the F@¬K over it.

Reply #200965 | Report this post

p  
Years ago

on firday south div 2 game it was 26 fouls for us 10 to south we had 6 player we had brett and some other dickhead umpiring and at port adelaide the other team gets favoured not us

Reply #201255 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe your just a team of thugs with no skill.......????????????

Reply #201358 | Report this post

Ace of Spades  
Years ago

yea, that sounds like torrens valley

Reply #201360 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

nah were not thugs compared to south adelaide

Reply #201800 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you all being a bit silly,
Yeh we got beaten ,we don't expect it to happen too often , but when it does it is like a Grand Final win to the other (winning) team , So good on South .
As far as someone saying the Sturt boys were bitchin' amongst themselves ,I do not recall any evidence of this . They simply had a bad night , South capitalised on this ,& yes there were a few damaging decisions by the younger ref but we all are grown up enough to realise we won't change it .
As far as the Sturt parents making a noise -well, we have to have a bit of fun ourselves

Reply #202108 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon this game was 2 weeks ago..move on.

Reply #202133 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:31 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754