baller
Years ago

Worst commentator - Bruce McAvaney

I know its got nothing to do with basketball but how bad has Bruce Macavaney's commentry been at the swimming. Compared to how excited he gets while calling the football he is boring while doing the swimming. Listen to the radio and those commentators go off, which adds to the excitment, especially when an Australian is going for gold. He's past his time i think.

Topic #16932 | Report this topic

lethal5  
Years ago

Bruce has been good. At least he knows his stuff. I think it's great that he's not too over the top like Ray Warren used to be.
Now Chris Dittmar... that's who you should be saying is bad. Knows little about the game or the terminology. He's terrible!

Reply #199421 | Report this post

skud  
Years ago

"Now Chris Dittmar... that's who you should be saying is bad. Knows little about the game or the terminology. He's terrible!"

Completely Agree about Chris...BUT, seven has put him in a shit spot, hes not a bball commentator, never has been. I think they sent him because they were to cheap to employ someone else like Gaze. He also lets Gaze correct him, and apologizes for his mistakes..makes me not dislike it as much.

Bruce I think is doing a fantastic job commentating the swimming, hes probaly one of the best there is to do it. Where as on the radio you have no visual so they tend to fire up alot more to give listeners the feeling they can see it.

Reply #199423 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Why is there no HG and Roy show in primetime this time around?

I've been readng HG's column in Crikey, but is he getting a run anywhere else? (Had some funny material yesterday about equestrian.)

Reply #199424 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can't stand Sandy Roberts ... there is just something about him

Reply #199426 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why isn't Sandy Roberts commentating the AFL this year? McAveney, Commetti and Roberts is a pretty good commentary team.

top commentators:

Commetti (AFL)
Liggit (Cycling/Olympic Cycling)
McAveney (AFL/Olympics)
Roberts (Olympics)

Reply #199427 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

boring..boring...boring

Reply #199452 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

roy and hg g have a sopt on triple j

Reply #199459 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

They should all bow before Bela ..
http://withleather.uproxx.com/post.phtml?pk=6654

Reply #199483 | Report this post

rg  
Years ago

Roy and HG are hosting the Golden Rings show at 4.30? each afternoon on Triple J live from the IBC!

Reply #199522 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

another fan of roy & hg on the j's. have to agree with the original post re bruce's call. I have been very dissapointed with his call, some of the finishes in the finals he has just called it like its the middle of the first lap, as stated above the radio has been much better calling and you can really get caught up in it a lot more. I guess one thing you have to factor into his call is that athletics is where his real passion is so maybe he naturally gets more worked up for that.

Reply #199532 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Fair go! His commentry is S P E C I A L

Reply #199544 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Bruce deserves a DOUBLE GOLD MEDAL! His clear comprehensive and smoothly delivered commentary including enough excitement, reflection, and amazing background detail really added to our listening/viewing enjoyment. His capacity to retain and share facts about all competitors from everywhere is special - always has been.

There's no need to scream and yell - Bruce's perfect use of the language combined with sufficient emotion to convey the moment is just right - a few of many examples were;

"can she? .... she CAN!" (Stephanie Rice's second gold)

"can he climb the mountain? .... he HAS!" (Phelp's 8th gold)

"we have ... never ... seen anything like this before" (a perfect description of Bolt's bolt in the 100m)

"the glamour girl becomes the golden girl" (of Stephanie Rice - it summed up all our feelings)

"I can't believe what my eyes are telling me" (US men drop the baton)

There are many more - space prevents adding them.

I thought Duncan was excellent too ("face of an Angel - heart of a lion" was his) and Daniel did well.

David Colvert was good - I find Raelene hard going and hope Bruce finds someone else in future.

Overall for Channel Seven and Bruce in particular it was a BIG TICK for me

Richard Mason

Reply #202243 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:54 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754