Anonymous
Years ago

Boomers Current Situation

I was just checking out the standing for the Aussies group in the olympics on wikipedia (completely reliable and up to date) http://linky.com.au/1scuh. So basically, as I understand it, the story for the Australians is that if they win their final game they are through. If they lose they can still make it if Russia lose. Infact they still COULD make it even if Russia win. That would put them level at 2 wins and 3 losses. Which means the only way that the Aussies won't make it trough is if Russia beat Argentina AND have the advantage over Australia in the tie-breaker. The crucial question is, what is used at the tie beaker. Is it done on average?

Topic #16933 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Please correct me if I'm wrong about anyhting btw.

The link above is now saying that Australia have already qualified for the quarterfinals because it's highlighted in green. That can't be right can it?

Reply #199513 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Was under the impression that if it goes to tie breaker it's head to head result and since they only play each other once it's quite simple Australia beat Russia. (even if it goes on points diff Australia has Russia beat at the moment so as long as it's not a MASSIVE blowout vs Lithuania we should still have the diff covered).

It will only get more complex if more than 2 teams finish on the same win/loss

ie
if Australia lose to Lithuania they will finish with 2wins 3 losses
if Russia defeat Argentina they will finish with 2wins 3 losses

Would need alot more unlikely games to cause more than a two way tie at 2wins 3 losses.
Such as
Argentina losing to Iran & Russia
Croatia losing to Lithuania & Iran
Iran defeating Argentina & Croatia

Or to make it all a whole lot easier Australia to carry momentum and defeat Lithuania ;-)

Reply #199514 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Pretty much yeah, Russia need to beat argentina by a LOT and we need to get thumped by Lithuania by a LOT to not finish top 4. Could happen but bot likely to get 50/60pt blowouts in 10min international tournaments. (unless it's the old dream team ;-)

Reply #199515 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

can someone confirm about what is used as the tie-breaker?

Reply #199516 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

head to head result are used as the tie breaker. this give australia the edge over russia obviously.

Reply #199519 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Which means Australia are definately through doesn't it?

Think its now just a mater of where we finish in the group.

Reply #199520 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Yep Australia are through as Russia's best result will tie them at 2-3 with us 2-3 but we will go through after beating them in the head to head today.

Only question for us now is Spain or USA

Reply #199523 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Weren't Gaze and Dittmar saying that it is based on points?

Reply #199526 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

From the FIBA site

http://linky.com.au/bf3dt

Reply #199527 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Sorry should have added that i read that as win loss gets you through then your FGF-FGA ( net points) spread determines your final ranking if their is a tie in win loss of the losers after the cross over.

So say boomers go through on a 2-3 win loss and get knocked out they will be placed higher against a similar 2-3 team that gets knocked out if their net score is higher.

So there is no playoff for 5-12 places it is based on group wins then net points to sepearte each place.

1-4 are obviously by win loss head to head

clear?

Reply #199528 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

If it is head-to-head (I read that page before and it really only talks about overall classifaction, not qualifying, unless I am missing something?), then it must only be if two teams are tied and if three are tied, then it goes to points?

Which I guess is fair, but I would've assumed that it would be the same method for all ties, as obviously you can't go on h2h with >2 teams.

Mind you, the results table currently has us above CRO....

Reply #199538 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

all FIBA tournaments are resolved via the head to head rule. In the event that two team are tied its the winner of the game between the two teams. In the event that three or more are tied then a separate classification (read table) is developed, taking into account ONLY games between teams in the separate classification. If within that separate classification competition points are equal between two points you go back to head to head.

If Aus (lose to lith) and Russia (win over arg) both finish with two wins then aus goes through based on head to head advantage over russia (ie, we beat em).

If we end up tied with Croatia and Argentina on three wins, that is we beat lithuania and argentina lose to russia, (assuming croatia beat iran :-)) then we are on the bottom of that separate classification but still fourth.

If we end up tied with croatia (3-2) because they beat iran and we beat lithuania then its back to head to head and we finish fourth cause croatia beat us.

Of course, we can finish third. Croatia lose to Iran and we beat Lithuania. Its not going to happen. Three minutes of lithuanian brilliance told me this arvo we are not beating lithuania.

We are going to finish fourth, fourth, fourth or...fourth and we play the septics.

Reply #199542 | Report this post

heart  
Years ago

HO...correct

Reply #199543 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Exactly HO.

Now that Iran have officialy lost to argentina (was always going to happen) we are guaranteed 4th spot.

Reply #199552 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:12 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754