Anonymous
Years ago

Is Peter Hoban lucky?

I dont want to take anything away from this young man and i do like the look of him as far as having a lot of potential.

But last night watching him go against equally as big bodies i couldnt help but wonder if the ABL had more legitimate bigs in it, would Hoban be getting the opportunity that he is with the Sixers.

It was obvious to me that he struggled to have any sort of impact against Norwood's big front line and i can only wonder if he went against that size athlete every week then maybe he wouldnt be seen as deserving the opportunity.

Again i dont want to take away from the kid because you can only go against whats in the league but will be interesting to see how he goes at the next level.

Topic #16944 | Report this topic

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

He might have had an 'off night'. I think he works very hard to get where he is. Let's give him a chance eh?

Reply #199608 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

If you had a first time visitor to the game last night and asked them to pick any players who had played in the NBL i dont think they would have got it right.

The guy has not even put the singlet on and the knives are out. Ease up and see what he can do, Ninny surely would not have picked him just to make up the numbers

Reply #199614 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

How's he gone against Norwood's frontcourt in previous games?

Reply #199623 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

Interesting you bring that up Isaac because the times he has played against Norwood that i have seen he has struggled.

6pts 6 rebs
4 pts 11 rebs
0pts 3 rebs

There Hobans stats from the last 3 matches against norwood.

very interesting....

Reply #199687 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Funny you missed the night he had 21 and 20 against the Flames ............

Reply #199729 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and lost?

Reply #199748 | Report this post

do it  
Years ago

He didn't have a great game saturday night but still people forget he hit the shot that 99 times out of 100 would have won his team a championship....very unlucky not to have been the hero of the night!
He deserves his 36er spot...don't think anyone would argue that. He is definately better than other former 'young' bigs (Hambour, Dodman, Lalic, Breheney) that have trained with the 36ers over the years.

Reply #199796 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Its that 99 times out of a hundred that Forestville banked on to win the game, hence no Forestville player going for the rebound in the last 3.5 seconds. They thought it was already over. It would have been very disappointing for Hoban to be credited with the Hero of the Night title for his efforts in the last few seconds of the game when he did little else for the rest of the game. Webber had already worked his butt off for a stand out game before he hit the last shot on the buzzer.

Reply #199807 | Report this post

do it  
Years ago

bit harsh on the Forestville players for not rebounding...the last thing they wanted to do was give up a foul on the rebound like Norwood did last week and give away free throws...not at any time had the eagles boys thought it was over. Quite clearly when your only up by 2 your not safe and to say they thought that is unfair!!!

Reply #199825 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

do it, I don't agree, it was a must for Forestville to pick up that last rebound. There was only 1 Forestville player(Oakley)remotely close to the hoop after Hobans free throw missed and he made no attempt to go for the ball. They clearly had not banked on Norwood making a final 3 pointer with only a couple of seconds to go. Whether you think they did the right thing or not, I bet they've learnt a valuable lesson from this and that is not to take things for granted.

Reply #199834 | Report this post

do it  
Years ago

EC, they eagles didn't take anything for granted....Norwood were always going to get off a shot from around the half way line wether Hoban hit the free throw or not...the chance of the eagles getting the offensive rebound over Cooper and Krause was very, very slim, and they obviously thought that an extra man back would be the way to go to try and make Norwoods last shot as tough as possible....as it was, Webber hit a three that was alot closer to the half than it was to the three point line, he was also hugged up against the side line and heaved it over Sullivans two out stretched hands, with Sutton in the vacinaty also!

Apart from hitting their free throws, not to sure what else the eagles could have done....in fact I think if they had it over they would do exactly the same....and the next 98 times after that and would come away with a Norwood miss and a Forestville win every time.

It really was just won of those things....thats what our game of Hoops is all about!

Reply #199854 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

After that free throw Oakley was completely boxed out by Thompson if you were watching- so there was no chance of him getting it.

BUT there is no way the Coops should have been able to get such a long pass to Webber with none of the eagles on him. That is where they went wrong, Web had no one on him or close enough to him to put any pressure on.

It was just like one of his uncontested shots he does at training since he was in U14s. This kid has been practising this shot for a LONG time and it came good at the right time.

Reply #199866 | Report this post

_  
Years ago

Hobo will do fine as a development player and will be upto him if he progresses to more than that.
He reminds me of Hambour when he started with the Sixers. Good luck to him

Reply #199953 | Report this post

Handy Manny  
Years ago

See what he is like after training with big bodies for 12 months or so then judge him. Bit early to make any call on the guy surely???

Reply #200018 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

eagles not celebrating early?? just look at damrobs photos of arnold being lifted up on the bench before hoabn has shot free throws. they thought it was over and to say different is utter BS!!!!

Reply #200073 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:46 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754