Anonymous
Years ago

Dougie vs Krause

Just wanted to touch on this match-up as for me was the high light of the game. Two fire fighters/mates/captains going head to head!!

As i know they are good mates it was funny to see that every time Kruase was subbed into the game, it was soon followed by a Forestville sub to bring Dougie into the game to guard him. Obviously Krause has had a stand out year, and the eagles probably thought that if they kept him quiet they would be in the box seat. Simons obviously thought Dougie was the man for the job(Dougie kept Krause to 5 points in the semi final).

It was great to see them go at it like their life depended on it...Krause trying to get open looks...Dougie doing his best to stop him.

Dougie you would say had the better of the duel for the night...Krause did not score on him at all, whilst Dougie picked up 9 points and some important rebounds off the bench and led a spirited forestville fight back...but ironically, Krause, like the champion he is, hit the biggest shot of his career with 8 seconds left to keep the flames alive...poor Dougie was on the bench watching... not sure why?? but not sure who he could have come on for either!

Then after what unfolded with the last shot, Krause was the first to break away from the celebrations and Dougie was the first to approach the Norwood group to find each other...they hugged , the two obviously were quite emotional and something was said by both guys...wat i'm not sure...probably went along the lines of
Krause: sorry mate. wat do ya do?
Dougie: well done mate...i'm not sure...think i might cry!

Anyway was great to see...pity one of them had to lose...both champions, both great leaders... Krause has had his best year ever, whilst if it wasn't for Dougie, Forestville would not have gotten close last night! Great match up, great sportsmanship! Well done to both players and both teams!

Topic #16958 | Report this topic

Woody  
Years ago

One of the better posts on this forum about the grand final, focusing on the positive points of competition and not whinging about the what if's.... Despite being a Forestville boy it was dissapointing to lose but sometimes you have to take the loss on the chin and say well done to the opposition. Dougie always does that and Forestville are lucky to have him. Word is it was his last game. It was an honour to play with you Dougie (aka Walters, Wuggie). Maybe i can convince you to come play reserves next year:)
All the best..

Woody

Reply #199749 | Report this post

former #13  
Years ago

Well said Woody. Any successful team needs someone like Dougie, does what is required even if it means sacrificing personal glory.

A perfect teammate. Well done mate.

Reply #199777 | Report this post

rebounds  
Years ago

I agree woody. every time I have seen Dougie play, he plays with spirit and determination. If rumours are correct then it is a sad loss for bball and forestville. I was at GF and witnessed the emotion from Dougie andKrause throughout the game - it appeared like too mates playing for glory but not wanting to take it from the other. Must say - if the glory was being given to the better player on the night then Dougie would have won hands down. Forestville lifted each time he came on the court - obviously respected by his players.
Well done to both teams

Reply #199806 | Report this post

lethal5  
Years ago

As a mate of both of these 2 guys, I'm not at all surprised to see the respect they showed for each other. Yes they are close mates of each others, through both basketball & work. I know for a fact that Keith has enormous respect for Dougie, & it's hard not to love the guy. Dougie is always upbeat & fun to be around, & although he would be shattered by the GF result, he would be proud of his team & very respectful to the Norwood guys.
Both guys are class acts!!!

Reply #199869 | Report this post

yep  
Years ago

Well said all, and theres no doubting that these two guys are great leaders of their clubs. Well done to both!

Reply #199880 | Report this post

Oih  
Years ago

Finally a nice post on this site!

Reply #199884 | Report this post

sween  
Years ago

You learn much about a person when the heat is really on and in the time immediately following the finish of the battle.

The actions of Keith and Doug, particularly in the moments just after the siren are the stuff of greatness, not just in sport, in life.

The footage of the final 3.5 secs of the game may amaze but footage of the couple of minutes after the final siren will inspire. I dips me lid guys. Cheers.

Reply #200160 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:16 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754