The Journo
Years ago

Olympic Pool Standings

Is it percentage or head to head between Australia and Croatia?

Percentage Australia 112- Croatia 105
BUT Croatia beat Australia
Australia has the more points for
BUT Croatia has the fewest points against.

I would lean towards head to head.

Topic #16977 | Report this topic

kad  
Years ago

Basketball Australia site says Head to Head :(

Reply #199964 | Report this post

This link has Boomers in 3rd ahead of Croatia

http://results.beijing2008.cn/WRM/ENG/INF/BK/C76/BKM400000.shtml#BKM400A14

However, on the same site this link shows every crowd attendance figure to be 11,083 - 100% capacity

http://results.beijing2008.cn/WRM/ENG/INF/BK/C85C/BKM400000.shtml#BKM400A14

Reply #199967 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

I must admit, I've been awful following the Boomers campaign (but really, what insipration would you have
until now?).

If I've got it right though, we are currently 3rd in our pool, courtesy of head 2 head v Croatia.

And we keep 3rd in our pool, and avoid the US if Russia beat Argentina?

Even if we keep third, though, we will likely play Spain.

Is that an accurate summary?

Reply #199968 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

according to Fiba site it is head to head

Points difference is used to seed 5-12 if there is a tie in win loss record at the group stage and after the knock out crossover game.

So we could have gained a few spots with the big win today and against Iran

Reply #199970 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

To clarify

if Croatia and us get knocked out next round then as i understand it we will be seeded higher for the tournament.

They are seedeed higher in the group as they beat us despite us having the same win loss rcord.

Reply #199972 | Report this post

This is how it works for virtually every junior and senior basketball tournament played anywhere in the world that plays FIBA rules, which Australia obviously does.

Standings in a round robin format go on:
1. Win-loss record of all games
2. If 2 or more teams are tied then win-loss record between the tied teams
3. If still tied then percentage in games between the tied teams (points differential is not the determinant like soccer but it is a very good guide)
4. If still tied then percentage in all games.
5. If still tied ?. Never happpens anyway.

So for our current situation, we will finish 4th in the pool no matter what as we will end up on 3-2 tied with Croatia and maybe Argentina. We lost to both those teams so we are 4th due to method 2 above. Lithuania can't drop out of 1st because the only team that can tie them is Argentina who they beat. If Argentina win today they finish 2nd because they lost to Lithuania. If they lose they still finish 2nd as they beat both Croatia and Australia. No percentage needed as the 3 way tie is resolved with method 2.

Now this method is used in virtually every tournament around, Australian championships, State championships, Melbourne Classics etc. The Norwood Easter tournament has slightly different tie breaker rules from memory but I could be wrong.

Now most tournaments have classification rounds with playoffs for all positions. Not the Olympics however. So when you are eliminated you play no further games. Your ranking is done as follows.

11/12 - 6th ranked teams in pool and use the following tiebreaker method
9/10 - 5th ranked teams in pool use tie break
5-8 - Losing QF and use tie break method
4 - Loser of bronze medal match
3 - Winner of bronze medal match
2 - Loser of gold medal match
1 - Winner of gold medal match

Tiebreak
1 - Win/loss record in pool games
2 - Position in pool
3 - Percentage in pool games

So, if we lose we will probably finish 7 or 8 as we will be behind any 3-2 teams that finished 2nd or 3rd in their pool. We need the loser of Greece and China (who will finish 2-3 and 4th) to lose to Lithuania in the QF for us to finish 7th.

I hope this eliminates all confusion.

Reply #199979 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

So we can still finish third in our pool then?

Reply #199984 | Report this post

in the know  
Years ago

4th it is no matter what this article on the fiba website, is all ready talking to Brian G about the next round vs the USA.

http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fe/08/olym/men/news/lateNews/p/newsid/28172/FE_news_lateNews_arti.html

Reply #199987 | Report this post

Mantis  
Years ago

The seeding of our group has been locked in at Lithuania, Argentina, Croatia, Australia since Croatia beat Iran this morning.

So the best we can finish is 7th? That's pretty poor considering this is probably our best-ever team.

Reply #199989 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

now all we need is blonde bimbo Griggs to stop telling everyone we will probably play Spain.

Reply #199991 | Report this post

Pegs  
Years ago

Mantis - you said it...

Reply #199992 | Report this post

???  
Years ago

She is hot though......

Reply #199995 | Report this post

The Journo  
Years ago

Australia vs United States
Wednesday August 20
Bring it on!

Reply #199996 | Report this post

playahata  
Years ago

OT but next time you see the seven coverage have a close look at joanna grigg's hands, they are massive!

Reply #199997 | Report this post

Boomers v Team USA

Says 4:45pm Beijing time on the program - so I think that makes it 6:15pm our time?...

Reply #200003 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

no Mantis - we can finish much higher than 7th.
If we win our Quarter's, we'll progress to Semi's (1-4) and if we win our Semi's then we progress to the Gold Medal game.

Pretty simple equation, keep winning, keep progressing.

Reply #200013 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

I dont seriously think we can beat the US. Would be the biggest upset in human history.

Reply #200019 | Report this post

Pegs  
Years ago

I know that Australia is playing good ball now, but the USA have a point to prove - they will accept gold and nothing else. They have the team to do it too (rather than the individuals they had last olympics).

Since Australia are the team that have got closest to them in the lead up games, I think they will be out to prove another point as well.

So I seriously don't think they will take Australia lightly and will be lucky to be within 30 points of USA.

Happy to eat my words though!

Reply #200020 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

What are the TAB odds for the game? If we can be within 11 without Bogut and he averages over 11 then theoretically we will win.

Also we dont play run of the mill inside/outside Euro ball, we have legitimate penetraters in Newley, Mills and Barlow and i doubt we will let them rack up 32 fast break points to none.

I truly believe we can beat them assuming we force them to play inside/outside and minimise their fast breaks.

The first 2 plays of the 3rd quarter of the last game we played them in we double teamed on the pick n roll n they didn't find the open guy for a spot up jumper, of course this could be purely a coincidence but i belive this shows a weakness in their game - aren't great passes without a dribble first.

Reply #200025 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

From the classic 'The Castle' - Curtley take note
'Tell him he's DREAMING'

That my boy you are!

Reply #200030 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

im a dreamer

Reply #200068 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

If we played the yanks 100 times we would probably beat them 1 or 2 times . Imagine if this was the game , in saying that we will prolly keep it closish for a while only to lose by 24 .

Reply #200076 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

http://linky.com.au/z53u1

This link to the Official Olympics site says Aus is 4th.

Reply #200080 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Well this is the opportunity that basketball in Australia has been waiting for. To beat the US to progress to the medal rounds - a fairy tale story that could reinvigorate Aussie ball, the NBL, television/media coverage, all of it.

That said, fairytales do not always come true. I agree with rotate that our chances of the upset are close to negligible. I just don't think we have the players to look after the ball enough. CJ and Mills are too small and Barlow is just not a point guard. It will be the fast breaks from turnovers that are the difference in this one.

But, can't help just hoping for that small chance at a monumental upset. It is truly a chance for greatness and is the sort of event that will stay in the Aussie psychy for a long time...

Reply #200095 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:58 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754