On the money
Years ago

Is winning form good form?

I have noticed that some junior teams have run into some good form over the last few weeks .One U12 D2 girls team has gone on a 5-0 winning streak.

Is this good for teams with 1or 2 weeks to go or have they peaked too early?

Topic #16988 | Report this topic

Anon  
Years ago

Depends on who they are playing? is it the bottom teams in the comp?

Reply #200090 | Report this post

Pitino  
Years ago

Yea I reckon that coach has stuffed up terribly. Definately peaked too early. They should be pacing those girls for the run into the finals. To get easy wins with another 3-4 games to go is mistake and doesn't prepare the team. Get the parents together, complain and try and remove the coach for next season. I mean its U12 D 2 Girls and I'm sure there are people that are better at team finals preparation than your current coach just chomping at the bit to step in there.

(Mod: Really hoping no one takes you seriously!)

Reply #200104 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Classic Gold response Pitino, lol

Reply #200114 | Report this post

5-0  
Years ago

yeah, who would want to be 5-0 running into finals??

Reply #200117 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is a difficult question which i will need to ponder - umm is it better to be playing good or bad going into a finals series. Have to come back to you on that!

Reply #200119 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

Pitino - "Little Loiuse Bird is not walking though that door fans. Little Kerry McHale is not walking through that door. Little Roberta Parish is not walking through that door. If they did walk through that door, they would be gray and old."

Reply #200120 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

SVD - do you expect the rest of us to know what you are waffling on about it! in the words of the famous ranga "please exploin"?

Reply #200123 | Report this post

Hangin Round  
Years ago

If they ran into finals with 5-0 losing form, they would probably have only 2 games left, so would have a nice break while others worry about the finals

Reply #200127 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

Rick Pitino gave a famous speech when he was with the Celtics

From Wiki:

Pitino's NBA coaching experience often demonstrated a deep frustration with the dynamics of the league, especially in Boston, where he amassed a 102-146 record from 1997 to 2001. After being beaten by the Toronto Raptors on March 1, 2000 on a buzzer-beater by Vince Carter, Pitino's frustration reached critical mass as he addressed the press. Referring to the expectations of Boston Celtics fans and media, Pitino challenged each of them to let go of the past and focus on the future:

" Larry Bird is not walking through that door, fans. Kevin McHale is not walking through that door, and Robert Parish is not walking through that door. And if you expect them to walk through that door, they're going to be gray and old. What we are is young, exciting, hard-working, and we're going to improve. People don't realize that, and as soon as they realize those three guys are not coming through that door, the better this town will be for all of us because there are young guys in that (locker) room playing their asses off. I wish we had $90 million under the salary cap. I wish we could buy the world. We can't; the only thing we can do is work hard, and all the negativity that's in this town sucks. I've been around when Jim Rice was booed. I've been around when (Carl) Yastrzemski was booed. And it stinks. It makes the greatest town, greatest city in the world, lousy. The only thing that will turn this around is being upbeat and positive like we are in that locker room... and if you think I'm going to succumb to negativity, you're wrong. You've got the wrong guy leading this team.

Pitino's remarks became a cornerstone of Boston Celtics lore, and has served as a metaphor for other sports franchises and their inability to relive past successes. Pitino himself reprised the speech in a tongue-in-cheek manner at Louisville in November 2005, challenging his freshmen players to play as tough as past seniors and drawing laughter from sportswriters in a post-game press conference.

Reply #200131 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:53 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754