Chris Sheridan's (ESPN) View on Aust/USA

Interesting article by ESPN's Chris Sheridan on USA's next game against Australia.

Is he giving us too much respect?

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/summer08/basketball/columns/story?columnist=sheridan_chris&page=usgermany-080818&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab1pos1

Topic #16994 | Report this topic

Beantown  
Years ago

Hehe, we're gonna shake and bake them with the Colonel's secret recipe, then deep fry them and feast upon their bones!

Reply #200198 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I linked to this in one of the earlier threads about the upcoming game. ESPN have done this before each game, talking up the opposition, trying to moderate any overenthusiastic US fans, etc.

The best chance we have of winning is if I claim that we're no chance (will come back to bite me), so: Australia are going to get thrashed. Get your money on the Boomers!

Reply #200200 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Sorry, think I was channeling Playa there for a sec. More seriously, I think Sheridan has it about right. He still expects the US will win, but he has good reason to compare this matchup to the one they lost to the Greeks a couple of years back. We have nothing to lose, we have a good, balanced team and our national team has never played better basketball than it has in the last couple of games. I give us a small chance if we can stay close and keep the pressure on the US to close it out.

Reply #200203 | Report this post

speedy  
Years ago

It's all been said and done before. ESPN articles also hyped up Spain and Greece and looked what happened. But anyway good luck to Boomers ..hopefully they can pull of a Buster Doglas vs Tyson sort of upset

Reply #200231 | Report this post

jaxx  
Years ago

sheridan is like a doom and gloom merchant when it comes to usa basketball...he makes it out like the usa is the underdog here...geez...

honestly, ill be happy with a competitive game from the boomers...

Reply #200251 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

If the Aussies can load up the key on D and make the USA shoot from outside we may have a chance if they cannot consistently hit them. We have to treat the ball like it is gold and don;t turn it over. this will ensure the USA cannot use their superior athleticism on the break.

I so hope the Boomers win!

However my head says if we can finish within 20 then we should be happy. But my heart says that we are trailing by 2 with just seconds left on the clock, and Patty blows past CPS and half the US team to nail a layup on the buzzer and draw the foul to win it from the line...I just woke up.

If ever there was a chance for the Boomers to beat USA at an Olympics, it is right now. I'll have my fingers toes, legs and whatever else crossed!

Reply #200263 | Report this post

gav  
Years ago

Unfortunately we are no chance. I just hope we play to our strengths and have an "on" night.
Reading some of the dribble that passes for comments on that espn thread just makes me hate the states even more.
Bogey for 30pts.
Im expecting to see Kobe man up tight on Newley, since he has had a great tournament.

Reply #200295 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:44 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754