Australian Boomers Day

I remember as a very young kid no one cared about yachting, no one hardly followed the Americas cup. Then one day Australia 2 caused a massive International upset and put the sport on the map for yrs to come.

If Australia win tonight the day will be a National public holiday. And if they win in the famours words of Bobby Hawke: "Any boss that sacks an employee for taking today off is a bastard".

Go YOU BOOMERS, do it for the Anzacs, do it for the Kings, Bearcats, Bullets, do it for your country, do it for the world!!!

Topic #17010 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

And go to the Dome first at 7pm to see the 36ers' pre-season game against the Tigers, and then rush home to watch Channel 7 with your fingers crossed (hoping they show it, then hoping that we win).

Reply #200430 | Report this post

Synchronised  
Years ago

The Scouting Report by
USA Director of International Player Personnel Tony Ronzone

We played them recently in Shanghai, and you've seen all five of their games here, what should we expect from Australia?
When we played them in Shanghai, I thought they played us as well as anybody in those friendly matches. They competed hard. It was a great match for us because we gambled a lot defensively, and it helped teach us that against these international teams you can't gamble because they all make shots. We have came a long way since that game. That was a learning game for us, and I think we have really progressed since then.

In their final preliminary game against Lithuania, Australia was 16-of-25 from 3-point. Our guys wil take note of that, and I think we will be very prepared for them. They run their offensive sets very hard and crisp, and Bogut has been huge for them. He didn't play against us last time, and he will this time. He's been playing very well. It seems like he has his energy and his wind back. It's interesting because they are the fouth place team in their group, but right now, they could beat anybody.

Who besides Andrew Bogut on their team can hurt you?
The point guard, CJ Brutton is just an automatic 3-point shooter. If we don't guard him, he will kill us from the 3-point line. And Patti Mills, their back-up point guard who plays at St. Mary's College, he's as quick as anybody we've ever seen. Australian rules football is trying to sign him to a big contract as a running back, he's that athletic. We had a hard time guarding him last game. We had our guards, even Chris Paul, on him, and he was getting by us. But again, we were undisciplined. We are more disciplined now defensively. They have Brad Newley, who the Houston Rockets drafted in the second round. He's their two guard. He had 16 against Lithuania, just one of those guys who runs off picks, high energy, he's athletic and he just makes plays for them. He's a tough competitor, and we have to respect him. Then Matty Neilsen is the four-man for them. He kind of muddies the game. He'll lock you, push you from behind and frustrates players with hard fouls.

What should we expect from Australia defensively, and how do we attack them?
I think what they will do defensively is beg us to shoot. We shot well last game, but teams don't still believe it. They know that they can't pressure us, so what they will do is try to keep us in front and slow the tempo of the game. As soon as we come into halfcourt, they are going to just pack it in, like a zone but it will be a soft man-to-man. They will try to limit us from getting to the basket, limit us from getting inside and beg us to shoot outside, so we have to make our shots.

Reply #200431 | Report this post

Football trying to recruit Mills as a "Running Back"???? I'm sorry Football but that's one athlete that won't make the shift!!

Reply #200434 | Report this post

oldtoby  
Years ago

Australian rules football is trying to sign him to a big contract as a running back, he's that athletic

hahaha. That scouting report just lost all its cred.
I hope we Smash their faces in ;)

Reply #200435 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

No talk of Barlow - hopefully he could have a big game.

Reply #200438 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Here's something from Boti about the game. He's of the view (as with others here over the past week or so) that we made a mistake in the warm-up games by showing too much of our game.

Reply #200445 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

To get even close we are going to have to shoot exceedingly well and hammer tham at every opportunity. If they get out on the break regularly we are screwed. Id love to see Nielsen or Anderson hammer LBJ or Kobe early on a drive just to set the tone for the game that we will not give up any easy baskets. Someone needs to stand up to the US and and make then earn their points rather and it may as well be us!

Reply #200456 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Wade should be the target if they want to throw someone off their game, IMO. Or Bosh. Both do a lot of damage at a high percentage.

Reply #200461 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Not really fussed who cops it I just hope we come out early and let them know we will not be intinidated or overawed by them.
Wade will probably fall to the ground as though hes been shot anyway - even if noone goes near him ;)

Reply #200466 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

Was going to post yesterday in regards to showing too much of ourselves in the pre tourny matchup with the doodle dandies . Could work either way , but IMO there was a fair chance we would get them in the crossover if we made them .

Prolly would have been better to fox and show very little . In the end no matter what we will have to play out of our skins and catch them on an offish day and at the right time . Can see us coming out the gates strong but the US of Ego can score in a flurry and they will at some stage during the game . So if we can weather the storm and maybe knock the head off a couple , would love to see le bron fall on his overblown face .

Reply #200472 | Report this post

USAallTHEway  
Years ago

USA is gonna demolish the Ozzies.
Bogut will be posterized on the receiving end of some monster dunks by Kobe, LBJ and DH.
Too good is USA for the meek Ozzies.

Reply #200488 | Report this post

Mantis  
Years ago

Hi, Playa.

Reply #200489 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

USA - you are the kind of person that tells little kids there is no Santa - leave us be with our hope

Reply #200490 | Report this post

santa?  
Years ago

amen to that

Reply #200492 | Report this post

USAallTHEway  
Years ago

There is no Santa Claus, no Tooth Fairy and definitely no Easter Bunny.
Believe in the USA 'Redeem Team'!

Reply #200500 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Aussies need to be at their utmost best to win this, and they are playing well so there is hope.
Pack it inside and make them hit the three ball.
We need to slow the game down and hit shots.
Simple...
Go Boomers!

Reply #200501 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

Can I ask USA - are you American? Or are you just one of those people that goes for outright favourites cos you like to be associated with winners?

Let me guess - you go for Geelong in the AFL, Man U in the EPL, Australia in the Cricket, the Bulls in the 90s and the Lakers in the 2000s

Reply #200508 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

is USA really playa with a spell checker ??

Reply #200514 | Report this post

Black Dracula  
Years ago

Why would we believe in the USA team? We're Australian, numb-nuts.

I've just left a lovely comment on an ESPN article...hopefully all the seppos flame me for it =D

Reply #200516 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

USA is a 'gansta'....

Reply #200523 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Black D,

What is the link to your ESPN post?

I'm curious to see what type of responses you get.

Reply #200532 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

I commend the Boomers for playing well and getting some self confidence. I don't think they are experienced enough as a team to 'withhold their best' in pre olympic tournaments. I think they ride on playing well. Good luck today. Play well and hold your heads up high!!

Reply #200535 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BOOMERS U CAN DO IT!!!!

Reply #200554 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Wade has played some great international ball, I thought he would struggle to adapt but his versatility has really shown through.

Reply #200557 | Report this post

Oden08  
Years ago

The worst thing is that even IF we did beat USA we are still not guaranteed of even getting a medal!

Reply #200563 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

Just happened on this thread so apologies for going back to the original post, but I think the America's Cup analogy is mistaken.

Australia's various Cup campaigns through the 60s and 70s always attracted high levels of media coverage. Dame Pattie, Gretel, Gretel and Australia I were household names at the times of the Cup races. In an era when TV ownership and coverage was not as extensive as the late 70s an 80s.

After the races were done, no-one gave a stuff about yachting again except for the Sydney-Hobart every year.

I would hazard a guess that it is pretty similar these days as well. The increases in disposable income and leisure time are far greater factors in any increased level of participation in yachting as a sport than media exposure from the 1983 Cup win.

By the way, I am not a yachtie and have no particular interest in the sport - I don't even know who won last year's Sydney-Hobart and I've no idea when the last America's Cup was nor when the next will be. Nor did I grow up around anyone with such an interest. My knowledge of yachting above is based on my experience growing up in a small country town in the 1960s and 70s.

Reply #200566 | Report this post

DavidK  
Years ago

Nice comments Peter, well thought out.. I think he meant it more in this context. America thought they had a God given right to keep winning America's cup, we would watch but never believe that we could win the Cup off the US. We went wild when we won, cause it was unexpected.
Same goes in Basketball (although you could argue not lately) that we go into this underdogs and not expecting to win.. If we are to win, then it could propel basketball along for a while in this country.. I don't think it will become a public holiday, i can't imagine saying to my boss tomorrow, Australia won the basketball.. cya tomorrow..

The other thread about us showing too much of our game.. it goes for both sides doesn't it.. we saw their game up close and can make adjustments too. IE: do not turnover the ball, box out, rebound, only take good shots. I think if you fox and play under your ability you miss out on seeing where you are realistically at. In a build up to an Olympic campaign I think that would have been a mistake.

Go Australia!

Reply #200571 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:41 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754