bretts the man
Years ago

NBL positives; Bogut butt out

NBL has received a lot of negatives in the off season and extremely dissapointing to lose 2 of our main clubs out of competition. Really feel for players and supporters of those 2 teams . But look at the standard of players in each team is much greater than previous years especially top 4-5 teams and like the sixers other teams have new exciting plyrs .
There are going to be some massive games coming up and more often. Like playing the Melb. teams 3 times.
All we need is Fox to put on reasonable coverage and hope 9 will still do something as well.
But more importantly for NBL management to do some decent marketing and get more fans to enjoy the standard of play and players.
Not helped at all by Bogut making negative statements in the press about a league he hasnt played in or any real interest in . His only real claim to fame is being 7ft 2 and a reasonable plyr with a big contract.
Yes it might need a revamp but season about to start and we need to be positive about what will be a great season

Topic #17011 | Report this topic

hoop fiend  
Years ago

i dont blame Bogut, i thought it was incredibly poor journalism.

For a journo to imply that Bogut has been lost to the NBA because the NBL has not gotten its act together, well that's just stupid. These journos no nothing about where the NBA stands in the sport.

Reply #200433 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

(Please, no all caps topic titles - no need for it at all.)

All Bogut's said is more or less what you've said and what we all know. The talent in the league is good, but the off-court component needs to improve a lot.

He was probably asked what he thought about the league and responded. Would be even worse if he offered no comment, so what would you rather he did?

Reply #200437 | Report this post

cavolo  
Years ago

Where was the article? Can someone post a link or mention where it was written? Thanks

Reply #200439 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

What did Bogut say about the NBL? He has generally been great with publicity, using his high profile to talk up Aussie basketball every chance he gets.

If it was a recent commment, it is more likely he was focussed on talking down the Boomers chances to ensure all the pressure to perform is on the US come tonight.

Reply #200440 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Andrew Bogut......

There's a League in AUSTRALIA?

Much better.

Reply #200441 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Here's the article

NBA star Andrew Bogut says not even a gold medal for the Boomers can save the NBL unless the game takes a completely different direction.

"The NBL's got a lot of work to do to get to the next level," Bogut said.

"I think off the floor there was a problem whereas on the floor there's some great talent. The competition is there.

"But off the floor the marketing and those types of things need to get in order."

Reply #200444 | Report this post

Black Dracula  
Years ago

uh...

Everyone knows that marketing and business wise, the NBL is a train wreck. The competition is there, and while we don't have the same level of talent as Euro or USA, the league is still competitive and professional. Imports enjoy themselves out here, and as far as off court lifestyle goes, we have it good since our league is in summer, imports can bring their families out here and go enjoy the city they're playing in.

Frankly, if someone like Andrew Bogut points out that the NBL administration couldn't organise a root in a brothel (or a piss up in a brewery), it's better, because he has a fresh perspective having never played in it.

Reply #200446 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

I agree with Bogut wholeheartedly. Bogut for CEO!!

Honestly, I can't see the controversy in what he has said. I think he was actually being kind to the farce that is Australian basketball.

Reply #200447 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

The post was more about we have had enough negatives in off season . It will be a exciting season lets get positive and just come across as another negative about season ahead even if Bogut didnt mean it to.
Cornes on 5AA had something negative about NBl the other night as well and he knows Jack S--t about it all

Reply #200451 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Fair enough Brett, I think we would all like the NBL to start getting some positive press. You're being pretty unfair to Bogut on that quote though. He was just being honest.

Reply #200454 | Report this post

Mantis  
Years ago

I disagree Brett, I didn't think Bogut was being negative. He talked up the quality of the product on the floor, but was being honest about the problems in the league front office that need to be addressed to take the competition forward. The journo (term used under advisement) put a lot of his own negative words down about the latter.

Reply #200507 | Report this post

raytri  
Years ago

I agree wholeheartedly with Boguts comments. The Administration is ineffectual with promoting the profile of basketball in this country. I also think it has a lot to do with the gradual disappearance of televised basketball. I believe Foxtel are only going to show one game a week (on a Wednesday night)this season. Am I wrong? So what can you expect. Its like any business, no matter how good it is, if the general public doesn't know it exists, eventually it doesn't.

Reply #200512 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The lack of basketball on TV is no excuse when it comes to criticism of administration.

Look in Cat 15's thread - you don't need the sport on TV in order to get your club's players out into the community, to schools, junior games, etc. Nor to get the league's web presence up to standard, live stats working, etc.

Reply #200521 | Report this post

tickle  
Years ago

Clearly Bogut is on the money. The competition and talent is fantastic but no one knows about it.

Cornes on the other hand, obviously does not know what he's talking about.

Reply #200531 | Report this post

raytri  
Years ago

Sorry Isaac, I thought it was the NBL administration who tied up the TV rights with Foxtel. And yes its good to get the clubs out into the community, and thats good to introduce players. But to promote the game of basketball the community needs to see the game. And that takes TV games. Thats where the NBL organisation is killing off the game.

Reply #200540 | Report this post

Jordan  
Years ago

I don't think the issue is so much with whether we agree with Bogut's comments. Everyone knows that the NBL adminstration-wise is a farce.

The issue to me is that here is the #1 Australian BBall player (rightly or wrongly, he is) effectively saying that his home league, which he has never played in, is sh*t. That too me is disappointing, as Bogut should be trying to help improve interest and BBall.

On a side-note, the journalism was absolutely aweful, as Issac mentoined, to imply that Bogut had a choice between the NBA and NBL. It is disgusting to read crap like that!

Reply #200932 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:23 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754