Quagmire
Years ago

Worst trades ever?

Since it is trade season, I though we might talk about some of the more regretful trades that have taken place. Hindsight is a beautiful thing.

I have mentioned it before, but i can't seem to let it go. The Magic traded away a flat out superstar in T-Mac. With Howard now the monster he is, T-Mac with him, along with Nelson and Turk- would be real hard to beat.

I think in hindsight this trade is just as awful as the Gasol dumping by the Griz.

The Mavs and the Suns can thank the Celts for getting them into the crap they are in now. Boston made the idea of trading for an aging star look good, so both of those teams tried, and now they are in deep poo as a result. ha ha.

more?

Topic #17044 | Report this topic

the_champ33  
Years ago

Patrick Ewing to Seattle.
Hakeem to Raptors

Both should have played there entire careers with there respective teams.

Reply #201001 | Report this post

Skin  
Years ago

Some older ones

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar for Elmore Smith, Brian Winters, Junior Bridgeman and Dave Meyers

Robert Parish and #3 pick (Kevin McHale) for #1 pick (Joe Barry Carroll) and #15 pick (Rickey Brown)

First round pick in 1979 (Magic Johnson) for the right to sign Gail Goodrich (1976)

Reply #201015 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kwame Brown and Change for Pau Gasol....in any fantasy comp that trade is vetoed !!

Reply #201026 | Report this post

Who Me  
Years ago

Both draft day trades

1987 - Seattle traded Scottie Pippen for Olden Polynice (Could you imagine the Sonics with Kemp, Payton & Pippen!)

1998 - Milwaukee traded Dirk Nowitzki for Robert "Tractor" Traylor (Dirk alonsgide Ray Allen & Glenn Robinson!)

Reply #201033 | Report this post

I wonder if we'll still be saying the same thing about the Gasol trade in a few years?

Sure it sounded like the dumbest idea ever at the time, but the Griz now have a great young nucleus to build around and will have plenty of cap space to try and land a star in the LeBronze/Wade/Bosh sweepstakes.

They also have some decent PG trade bait and the rights to Marc Gasol- who may be one of the most overlooked parts of this trade.

I'm not sure if it counts as a trade, but the Suns selling the rights to Rudy Fernandez for cash might come back to bite them in the ass some day.

Reply #201039 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

Barkley for Hornacek/Tim Perry/Andrew Lang

Reply #201047 | Report this post

In hindsight maybe the Vlade Divac for Kobe trade is pretty bad, but at the time it moade slightly more sense.

Speaking of hindsight, how about the 1980 draft? The Celtics traded their 1st overall for Robert Parish and the Warriors' 3rd pick in exchange for Joe Barry Carroll and Ricky Brown. Boston eventually chose Kevin McHale with that 3rd pick.

The Rockets trading Richard Jefferson, Jason Collins, and Brandon Armstrong to the Nets for Eddie Griffin in 2001 didn't work out too well either.

Reply #201052 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

its not basketball but surely one of the worst trades in australian sport would have to be Chris Groom for Andrew Mcleod

Reply #201085 | Report this post

The Hamma  
Years ago

Dallas also got Pat Garrity in the Nowitzki trade

Reply #201093 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Every trade for Stephon Marbury

Reply #201096 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Spanish, the problem for the Griz is that they can have all the cap space in the world, but no top free agent will EVER voluntarily sign for a team with their management history.

Marc Gasol will be average at best in the NBA and is redundant now anyway with the big Iranian Ehadadi.

Even McHale is taking advantage of Chris Wallace, grabbing Kevin Love and Mike Miller in exchange for OJ Mayo! If Memphis had ANY interest in being successful they would never hand over a guy like Mike Miller in that trade.

Reply #202623 | Report this post

Mantis  
Years ago

Anytime you're schooled in a trade by McHale, you've done something badly wrong.

Barkley for Hornacek/Tim Perry/Andrew Lang
I disagree. Hornacek was his team's leading scorer and an All-Star when this trade went down. He was surplus to requirements in PHX because they had Majerle for outside shooting, but needed an inside presence. His first season in PHI, Hornacek was second in scoring (IIRR) and led the team in assists. Unfortunately, the rest of the 76ers sucked, so while PHX's win total went up, PHI's went down, and thus this trade gets a bad rap as it seems to favor one side (plus Perry and Lang turned out to be scrubs who had peaked, rather than players on the rise). Both Barkley and Hornacek went on to be key pieces in their team's run to the NBA Finals - Hornacek just needed to be traded again before his turn, though.

Reply #202633 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:03 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754