shin splints
Years ago

NH: NFL on TenHD this season

This upcoming NFL season will be the first in many years that I do not have Foxtel, so I am unsure if Free-to-air TV in Australia has shown the NFL (perhaps ABC?) in the past.

However, my mail has informed me that Channel 10's HD will broadcast the NFL this season.

And it doesn't seem to be a token effort either, with 4 games being shown over week 1:

Friday 5 Sept - Giants vs Redskins - 9am EST
Monday 8 Sept - Patriots vs Chiefs - 3am
Monday 8 Sept - Colts vs Bears - 10:15am
Tuesday 9 Sept - Packers vs Viking - 9am

Not sure on what affiliation network 10 has with which US network, but this certainly opens up a very very small chance that one day the NBA could return to FTA (and in HD)

Topic #17094 | Report this topic

Chewy  
Years ago

It's affiliated with FOX and ESPN. These games are the nationally televised games in the US.

Reply #201446 | Report this post

Thedream  
Years ago

Sweet, more NFL on free to air than mens basketball.

Reply #201456 | Report this post

MH  
Years ago

This is awesome, thank god I just bought a big screen.

Reply #201462 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If have no interest in the NFL, but this is good news - Ten using their other channel for something different, and could bring about the NBA returning to FTA TV which would be great.

Channel 7 have five different channels. If the NBL could pay/produce the broadcast, and the government eased restrictions, I don't see why these stations wouldn't provide new opportunities for all sorts of less-popular sports and niche interests.

If they're worried about tainting their brand with lower quality production values, just call 73 "Seven Underground" and 72 "Sports Nation", and it'd be fine.

Reply #201471 | Report this post

Johnny Sack  
Years ago

So Foxtel has dropped NFL??? Or will they both run NFL?

Not bagging NFL - but if the former is the case, it means that NBA sells subs and NFL doesn`t so why keep it... We won`t be seeing NBA on FTA in the near future me thinks for that reason... Ten HD might as well be showing professional Lacrosse (which I actually like - but is probably just as minority (interest-wise) as Gridiron in OZ)...

Reply #201472 | Report this post

shin splints  
Years ago

There is no doubt that NFL rights in Australia are far cheaper than what the NBA would request.

But who knows - if the NFL on 10 proves fairly popular it could see 10 import more sports. They already show live Nascar, the PGA tour, and now the NFL.

Whether a sport is a minority in Australia sometimes seems to be the last consideration of programming executives at commercial networks. However in this case 10 must be applauded for not only offering alternate content on their HD channel, but also live sport from the US.

Reply #201475 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yeah getting a HD box for this, dont have the good TV yet but i assume with a HD box i will get the content minus the picture upgrade. As others have said its good that Ten are using their digital channels for decent alternate content rather than repeated content with some new shows here and there.

Reply #201481 | Report this post

Technophobe  
Years ago

Ok, I know these might be silly questions but I really do not know and there might be other people thinking the same things?

1. What do you need to watch the HD channels?

2. Does it cost money?

3. How do i know if my TV is HD compatible?

Reply #201501 | Report this post

Nash2Stoudemire  
Years ago

http://ten.com.au/hd-faq.html

Hope they show some Raiders games!!

'JR to D-Mac'

Reply #201503 | Report this post

shin splints  
Years ago

To receive the HD channels you need either a HD set top box, a HD TV tuner in your PC or a HDTV with integrated HD tuner.

You can connect a HD set top box to a non-HD TV, provided it has at least the very basic of connections - composite (yellow, white, red RCA). This will enable you to view the HD channels, but in standard definition resolution. Essentially you would be scaling a HD image to the lower native resolution of your display.

Reply #201509 | Report this post

Chewy  
Years ago

Nash2Stoudamire, so I gather you're a Raiders fan too. JR to DMC = Touchdown Raiders!

If you're interested, I suggest signing up on www.raiderfans.net

It's a great forum and I have met many of the members myself when I went over to the US to see a Raider game last year. My username on Rf.net is Chewy316.

Reply #201511 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Seems Ch 10 - or 10HD in particular are going hard with the Sports theme (which is great).

Sports the have/will be showing LIVE on 10HD

Formula 1
Golf (Not a big fan so wouldn't know which tournaments they do and don't show, just know they show a damn lot of it live)
Moto GP
IPL
Nascar
NFL

Add NBA and it would be the perfect package!

Contiue to slap CH7 with their waste of space 4 channels.

Reply #201516 | Report this post

Jordan  
Years ago

I'm quite a big fan of the Eagles, this is good to see. As a foxtel subscriber, I hope they do more than simply show the same games Foxtel already cover, although i can see how it is good for those people who don't have foxtel.

Reply #201523 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anyone know why Ch 10 and ABC can show alternatives on their digital/HD channels, but it's cited as a government problem for Seven not to do it during the Olympics?

Reply #201538 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Olympics are on the protected list. Channel 7 have a few alternative shows but no sports.

Reply #201548 | Report this post

ClownDog  
Years ago

I keep reading the same things here about the channels and their (lack of) use of their extra channels.

Channel 7 might have several LCNs (71, 72, 73 etc) but they are not all broadcasting the same content separately - they are are just redirecting back to 70.

The channels are restricted by the anti-siphoning laws about what they are allowed to show on the extra channels. They are not allowed to move things like Olympic events to the HD channel because that limits it to only people with HD receivers. They are allowed to show 'bonus' things like the NFL which wouldn't normally be shown on the regular SD channel anyway. (The ABC is allowed to get away with anything though).

The channels have a limited digital bandwidth until the analogue system is closed down (hurry up already!) so if they were to broadcast on 71 and 72 for instance, the bitrate on the other channels would have to drop and it would look crappy, especially on a big screen.

Reply #201583 | Report this post

shin splints  
Years ago

The anti-siphoning laws are also very much in use in the US - where they were created to protect the lower economic classes who could not afford Pay-TV. The idea being that PayTV could outbid commercial FTA networks and lock out alot of the population from seeing important events.

Here in Australia, as clown dog mentioned, the Aust Government has deeemed that events like AFL, Cricket (but not Indian PL), Olympics etc are protected and must be available to all the public, not just those that can afford HD set top boxes, or even SD. This is also why Foxtel under current laws cannot monopolise a protected event.

Reply #201585 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Informative ClownDog - thanks.

Would just rather have the option of watching Seinfeld re-runs on a second or third channel rather than all the current material that I have no interest in (crime/law dramas).

Reply #201587 | Report this post

DandyBoi  
Years ago

I'd prefer it if Ten picked up the NCAA games instead of the NBA, but it would eb a bonus if they showed both!

College ball is so much more entertaining than the NBA.

Reply #201597 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:38 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754