Anonymous
Years ago

Poaching by any name.

Some of the smaller clubs have reported stories of both boys and girls being approached to move clubs. One club has lost a tall u18 to a larger club and several attempts have been made, supposedly by a state coach, for certain boys.
Is poaching a myth or another of the subjective situations in basketball that always goes unpunished?
When SASI kids 'get pinched' or move there's always two sides to it so maybe clubs need to work together to strengthen the comp not weaken it.
Is it feasible for clubs to agree upon a ceiling of SASI players each side should have rather than build super teams?
A couple of teams are made up wholly of SASI and country state reps and yet they 'pinch' or encourage further movement to their clubs. Is it in the comps best interest for this to happen?

Topic #17095 | Report this topic

booga  
Years ago

poaching isn't a myth some times it's very blatent but untill some one does something about it it will keep going. in a way proving the poaching is the hard part, way to much one word verse's another to be dealt with.

should there be a section say on sportingpulse where each club list all trialist for there club ? this way clubs see who is looking else where and have the chance to speak to the family to see why and try and talk to them about it, also stops kids going from club to club smoke and daggers style

Reply #201478 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This so called club knew nothing about this boy coming over. Perhaps if this other club did not have their President continue to follow his son through the age groups you not have this situation. Also i beleive this rumour has come from a parent from who child has recently moved to Sturt!!!

Reply #201484 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Let's have some facts that you're willing to back up, otherwise you're putting state coaches in a negative light.

Reply #201488 | Report this post

VinnyChase  
Years ago

IMO all that is needed is a code of conduct and agreed to by all clubs.

The following would be fine.

Player Poaching
To encroach upon another club's development work and encourage a young player to change clubs is a breach of Basketball Wales Code of Ethics & Conduct (see website) extracts are as follows:
Coaches should note that it is poor practice to make direct contact with a junior player currently not registered to your club with a view to them joining your club or to play for you in another tournament or competition, including representative teams.
Any contact from a third party should be made in the first instance via the players current club / coach prior to contacting the players parents / guardians, and the contact should only be for legitimate basketball reasons.
The practice of poaching players from another club cannot be condoned. Complaints involving young age-group players are particularly disturbing as these players are in their formative years and generally neither they nor their parents have an awareness of what it takes to develop as a basketball player.
There is no substitute for putting in the time in learning the fundamentals; these objectives are not always met by moving to a stronger club. In many cases this can mean more time on the bench for a stronger team and/or being less challenged by the opposition. At the same time increased travel time, cost or dislocation from friends, family and ones own community may be part of the price.
There are exceptions where outstanding potential may need to be developed; however these should be dealt with by following the procedure summarised earlier. Open and honest dialogue can assist all parties and will enable coaches to retain their integrity as basketball coaches - rather than poachers.

Reply #201494 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In the end this won't change because district basketball is still run and probably always will be run by the biggest and most powerful clubs in Adelaide.

And they are generally the ones who do the poaching. It happens at State, SASI, Div 1, Div 4, Under 18 and Under 10 levels. BasketballSA have no interest in fixing the problem or they would have tried already.

The strong will continue to get stronger and the weak will remain where they are.

Reply #201496 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

... especially with sooky attitudes like that.

Reply #201502 | Report this post

Almnac  
Years ago

496 its just not true that the strong get stronger and the weak get weaker. North is struggling on its boys side compared with 5 -10 yrs ago. Norwood is struggling compared with 10 - 15 yrs ago. Southern are struggling compared with 15 - 20 yrs ago. Forestville were struggling but are quite strong now.

It definately does change. Sturt has been fairly consistent but this is through sheer hardwork and plenty of people willing to put their hands up rather than any significant "poaching".

Reply #201506 | Report this post

Enough is enough  
Years ago

Ok isaac, proof is a girl and the family from south u16's team this summer season was approached by a state coach from the boys side saying came across to sturt and we'll promise u state and SASI also throwing in the we have connection's in the US for college's in the future. This coach even caught up with the players parents for lunch to discuss her future. Now if that isn't a breach i don't wat is.
lets have 2 or 3 super club's while the smaller clubs die in the arse. But hey don't worry about basketball at a local level as long as the team wins at national level who really cares.
if this is allowed to continue to happen basketball in this state will die within 5 years.

Reply #201507 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

That's not "proof", that's just more of your side of the story. Do you have a statement from the girl and her family that they were approached?

Please be aware (and this goes for all similar instances, other threads, etc) that if someone feels wronged by your post and requests your details via the right channels, I will comply from my end.

If you are absolutely confident of your story, think that it's right to expose, and are willing to defend it in court, you've nothing to worry about.

If you're going on a rumour, or a version of events from a third party, obviously you're taking a risk.

As I understand it, if the player or parent initiates contact, the rest is OK (having lunch, talking up college contacts, etc)?

Reply #201510 | Report this post

Enough is enough  
Years ago

When the parent express concern to myself and the coach at the time it is far more than hear say. The parents were very concerned at the time at the amount of stress this was putting the on the child. In the end the parents and the child where pressured to send their child to the club. Of course the parents are not now prepared to say anything because they would not b silly enough to cut the hand off that feed's them.

Reply #201514 | Report this post

harrison Bergeron  
Years ago

Yet you are prepared to publicly highlight this case? For what purpose? To cut it off for them out of spite? You are simply making this story up like so many others.

Isaac asked for proof - it is still only hearsay. it isn't true 'just cos you say so'.

Reply #201518 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Poaching does occur.
Case#1: U18 Boy (State Country player) (no names to comply with U18 policy) Resides in country area and was playing for an outer suburb club. Asked to play with another club to "strengthen his chances of playing Metro State"
Case#2: U12 Boy at same outer suburb club playing Div 2 (once again no names so as to comply with site's U18 policy) This boy is tall (+99% percentile) and was approached by inner suburban club promising a Div 1 spot.
Case #3: My son. Playing at 2008 State Country Champs. Wasn't playing district at time, but invited to play at a "strong" club. Probably not poaching, but intent there...

Reply #201528 | Report this post

harrison Bergeron  
Years ago

Case #3 is laughable - cannot be 'poaching' if the kid is not playing district for anyone ..... it is known as 'recruiting' and NO club will present itself as anything less than fantastic in that scenario. In this instance I can think of 100 cases of people who were/are very thankful that an approach was made.

Case 1 & 2: asked by who? Only poaching if an official from the club asks the question first.

and

they are both lovely stories - prove them in a public place or with BSA with names and dates or they are just rumours that belong in a pub. There is no credibility at all.

From my extensive personal experience my opinion would be that the parents of many of these 'poached' kids and potential teammates at 'poaching' clubs are the ones that do all the talking and planning. Then the club is approached and in the most part there is a very open and clear protocol that is followed.

But - if it suits you to have some kind of plot running and carefully constructed 'conspiracy theories' then you go right ahead with it .....

Reply #201529 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

When the parent express concern to myself and the coach at the time it is far more than hear say.
If they were legitimately concerned, then surely that is grounds to take it to BSA? Why didn't they?

Who approached them? A parent from the other team, a player, a coach?

I'm not denying that something dodgy may have occurred and that's one reason I somewhat defend these topics from complaints, but it's not good if information is slightly off or completely inaccurate.

Reply #201537 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No way is Anstey on $170k.

So Isaac why dont you provide some proof on this statement you have made. This is not fair on Chris or the Melbourne Tigers.

If you have the proof they why don't you take it to the NBL ?

So are the rules for everybody ?

Reply #201545 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Technically, I think the chances are excellent that he's not earning $170k (given the maximum is $175k and he's the team MVP) - more likely he'd be on $175k or some other figure...

I have put my name to my post and the Tigers know where to find me.

(Interesting location anonymous - playing or coaching over there, or just passing through?)

(Also, FWIW, I actually have emailed the NBL about player payments in the past.)

Reply #201546 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac, thanks for the answer. This topic has no interest to me as its been 20 years since I had anything to do with SA junior basketball, but Anon #17095 never named anybody, so I thought it was strange that you would come out with the "Proof" line.

Yes I live in an interesting location, but its been very good to me.

I enjoy reading your site, it helps keep me informed most of the time and good for a laugh on other occasions.

Reply #201547 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

re:(#201528)

Case#1: U18 Boy (State Country player) (no names to comply with U18 policy) Resides in country area and was playing for an outer suburb club. Asked to play with another club to "strengthen his chances of playing Metro State"

The claims of playing (Metro state) as you put it cant be true if the player & parents reside in a country area. So a club or a certain Metro state coach could never make this promise.

Reply #201552 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon (from the interesting location), I should've also responded that if Chris' getting $170k, I'd say things are not fair for him, and more than fair for the Tigers!

Reply #201554 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Harrison,

You are so naive. An official seldom makes the first approach as they no the rules. They arrange for club people in non official positions to make the first contact - eg parents to other parents. And it goes from there.

That's what happened in my case - the parent admitted the coach asked her to approach me after a game.

Reply #201558 | Report this post

Skin  
Years ago

It's quite funny really, that people move to get better chances to make state teams etc.

Bottom line is this may only effect (if it occurs) the 9th and 10th player, if you are a gun you will get picked, who ever you play for.

I don't see the point in a ok player going to a good team and sitting on the bench, when they can start for another team and develop their game by playing against good players.

Each to their own tho.

Reply #201563 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac, While there is general consensus that poaching happens, the oddity is that nobody seems to do it!
Even if I wanted to blow the whistle on actual cases I wouldn't because no one wants to deal with the truth and I'd end what small chances my boys have of success.
On more than one ocassion I have had to deal with boys and girls who had been directly approached by people who should know better. Some of these approaches occurred at Valetta Road.
I would like to see more scrutiny in this recruiting/poaching field or just remove the poaching bylaw from the books and stop all the pretense.
While there are a disproportionate number of SASI coaches from one or two clubs it will always add to the debate and BSA need to ensure each district club is equally represented which would go a long way to enhancing the ethics of the sport.

Reply #201564 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Skin,

I am unaware of a state U10 competition

Reply #201568 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seriously - who is going to whistle blow on poaching. If as said above your child is around the mark, by whistleblowing you can ensure they never get chosen!!

Reply #201569 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Bravo "Skin"
IMO you should play for your nearest club. It's better for the competition and it's better for your growth.
As you say, if you're an OK player, why warm the bench for all stars when you could play against them and improve your game and be a better player.

Does BSA need to introduce zones?

Reply #201571 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes Jack it does, but watch the clubs with the most to lose from their 'active recruiting' kick you for suggesting it.

Reply #201574 | Report this post

Skin  
Years ago

Anon- obviously I am talking about older age groups. Be good if people could use a bit of common sence and and value with their posts.

Reply #201575 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Skin it would be good for clubs to show a bit of common sense as well - they can't go and complain about weaker clubs developing when they seek out kids in u 10/12's

Reply #201576 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haven't seen a poaching thread on here forever. Good to see the same issues still exist in junior basketball. Keeps the lurkers out there laughing and smiling!

Reply #201578 | Report this post

Hangin Round  
Years ago

Perhaps poaching is a bad word which which causes reactions.
What is it called when a player has it 'suggested' by an opposition coach (with higher interests) that it would be very beneficial for the players development to move to another club?(wow- this coach may even be the new team coach for the player)
The parent and player become interested and are advised that said club cannot move on player, but if the family chooses to move clubs, all is OK

Reply #201584 | Report this post

The 1st poster on this topic is a joke. "One club has lost a tall u18 to a larger club" Hahahahahah! Nice try anon, or should I say "factless"

The kid you are talking about wasnt poached, coerced or even asked to play at the said club at all. She made her intentions know to the club she wanted to go too; went out to their trials for ALL TO SEE and is now waiting to play for them next season.

"Is it feasible for clubs to agree upon a ceiling of SASI players each side should have rather than build super teams" ....Yeah if your a second rate club that cant be bothered putting in the effort to keep your kids and do some development in the 1st place.

"A couple of teams are made up wholly of SASI and country state reps and yet they 'pinch' or encourage further movement to their clubs" Talk to the parents of these kids and find out what some clubs really do, or rather dont do for their players. As a matter of "fact" talk to the u18 kids mum. You may actually get "the facts"

The club that I have highlighted above has had approaches from 2 other high profile kids in the same age group wanting to come over for the summer season, but they were too scared of the retribution from their existing clubs to come to trials. Unfortunatly the club they would like to play for has a no trial, no spot available policy.

Unfortunatly not all clubs have this policy, including some smaller clubs. Prehaps the original post could have been about making a no trial, no spot available policy manditory; but then it would stop the original posters club from "gaining" players....... wouldnt it?

Reply #201589 | Report this post

Flanders  
Years ago

When I approached a club regarding my child moving they spoke to me about State and SASI as well.

They spoke about teaching along similar philosophies and that they try and implement similar development plans for their players. So that the players have a better chance of making the teams. We were under no illusion that this meant it was still up to the player to put in the work and improve.

Coming from a club that "bags" SASI and its development, it was a breath of fresh air to see the kids development being put first, over peoples individual squabbles.

Yes my kid moved, and hopefully they will continue to develop. But it just seems to me that they are doing more now than before.

Reply #201590 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

same old, Can't you think of a couple of examples of players who play for your club that didn't actually trial?
The way it's going you guys might be the first club to have your Div I, 2 and 3's in the same division all made up of SASI players which will do wonders for the comp.

Reply #201595 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The same clubs that push for pro/rel are the same ones poaching, then bag the "weaker" clubs for not developing juniors.
"We need a stronger competition". Hypocrites!

Reply #201598 | Report this post

Yeah I can. There will always be legit excuses why current players cant trial, but my information is that from this season forward, if you want to go to that club, you will trial or look else where.

Are you happy for kids to switch teams without trialing?

Personally Im not.

Reply #201600 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Zones.

Reply #201602 | Report this post

Web Browser  
Years ago

D E F E N C E !!!!

Reply #201609 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

In relationship to zones, that idea is straight out stupid. If kids find the club they are in does not suite them, they leave the sport.

I grew up near Morphett Vale stadium and my sister played a lot of school basketball at Morphett Vale Stadium. One of her friends was playing for Adelaide and convinced her to come out to trials (Forestville Stadium - original one). Hence my sister played for Adelaide but lived in Morphett Vale. When I started to play basketball I naturally wanted to play for the same club as my sister (family loyalty).

Now Adelaide was never going to be the best club for both of us to develop, however it was our first insight to District basketball and we both enjoyed our time there. My parents were both referees and refereed at Morphett Vale and back in those days we didn't have district games at MVS so they refereed District at Marion. Next thing you know we decided to play for South because it was easier for the family and it offered us a better opportunity in the sport.

We both completed our junior basketball at South. My Sister's husband who also played all of his Basketball at South (inbred) some how ended up coaching at Sturt. His kids now play for Sturt because that is where their Dad coaches. The kids don't live near Sturt either. I can't see where any of this is wrong.

Reply #201673 | Report this post

C3PO  
Years ago

FM - I think you were going well with your argument until you mentioned the evil empire, that is why the clubs want zoning so no-one has a choice to play there unless they live in the area

Reply #201692 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Isn't it the case that ultimately it's up to the kids and parents to decide? I'm not convinced that any amount of "poaching" effects player movements to a great deal.

Reply #201742 | Report this post

sween  
Years ago

Refernce:http://www.gofor2and5.com.au/recipes.aspx?c=3&a=288&n=168&rl=176

POACHED PEARS

10 minutes preparation + 15 minutes cooking
6 serves of fruit in this recipe

1 L (1000mL) dark grape juice
6 pears, peeled and quartered, cores removed

Pour juice into a saucepan and bring to the boil. Lower the heat, add pears and simmer for 1015 minutes or until just tender. Turn pears over to cover in juice during cooking. Remove from the heat and allow to cool in the syrup. Serve warm or cold.

Apparently delicious and good for you by any name. Doule the factual info to feed a team.

SASI should have it in their nutrition plan.

Reply #201745 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and in their salary cap sween.

Reply #201749 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

thedoctor you're right, ultimately it's up to the player and their parents to make the decision.

But if as a parent you were convinced by someone within another club that moving will increase your childs opportunities at the next level how could you refuse?

As a parent you want to see your children acheive everything they possibly can and sometimes the pressure can be so much that the parent feels if they don't move that they are damaging the future career of their child.

Reply #201751 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Anon - I agree. But I'm not convinced that the parent only looks to increase the child's opportunities following a "poaching attempt" by another club.

If a parent and child choose to move, chances are they were not happy at the current club anyway. If approached by another club, the most it can do is make the parent and child consider their current situation in comparison to the approaching club. The parents and child are free to choose what to do from there.

Some of the above posts give the impression that children are forced to move - that's crap.

Reply #201762 | Report this post

Handy Manny  
Years ago

Zoning?? Seriously??? Being a life member at one club, and having played all juniors and seniors there is the place where my kids will play. Why would I want to go to another place or club?? If this rule is brought in by BSA then off to netball and football I go... Can't see it happening to be honest!!

Reply #201767 | Report this post

oooh  
Years ago

if one item is more gorgeous then another item its natural to move to the better more hotter item. To not do so would mean not having the oppurtunity to do bigger and hotter things

Reply #201768 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perhaps she knew college scouts already. Perhaps this kid was offered 'opportunities' at other clubs (not the one she went to). Perhaps her previous club knew this too.

Kids move clubs because, they are unhappy with their situation - perhaps some parents and some players made it very very difficult for this kid to stay at her previous club. Perhaps she just wanted to focus on basketball. Perhaps she wanted to be with kids who loved basketball as much as she does. Perhaps her family wanted her to do what she loved.

Perhaps Perhaps Perhaps

Reply #201776 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have been a junior coach for many years. At several clubs, involved in both SA metro and SAC. The majority of the the things written above are false. In my years of junior coaching, I have seen many strange things, and more often than not its the parents telling stories, to manipulate situations. I have never seen Sturt approach a player to move and I never will, and I have been very much in the position to see it. More often than not parents make this claim because they havent got the balls to tell the existing club their child is at that they want to go somewhere else so they can be with a "winning" group. Or they want a more established development program. They ring the junior director, make enquiries and then suddenly jump ship, inventing stories about why they are changing.

Its just a cop out. Maybe some of these manipulating parents are writing above. I think so, it gives them an excuse for their behaviour.

The truth be known, my child plays at Sturt, yes. And I have been approached by 2 other clubs for him to change out. Get facts and write them, dont make up crap thats hear say.

Reply #201778 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I've been contacted by who I believe may be a parent of the player in question saying that the version of events put forward on here is quite inaccurate and that they well and truly initiated the movement to leave the previous situation. Definitely at odds with what the anonymous poster has given.

Reply #201785 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#778, if you have been approached by two other clubs for him to change doesn't that contradict your claim it doesnt happen?

Reply #201791 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You miss the point. Its not sturt making approaches

Reply #201795 | Report this post

ithappens  
Years ago

I have spoken to a player and the parent, who were approached a number of years ago by another clubs team manager in the same age group. Strangely this was done directly after a summer season grand final where the player had played against the team that was trying to poach him. The player and parent declined the approach, however didn't inform their club at the time as they did not know that it was not allowed. It was only found out when all players within the team were asked if they had ever been approached by another club, they have since been instructed to inform the club immediately if they are spoken to by another club in the future.

Reply #201808 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What about last year sturt allowing a player to train with them while that child still had final commitments with the original club. And to make it better the potential to come up against Sturt.

Obviously the player was dropped from the team despite being an important person in the team.

Perhaps #778 you should spend more time with the younger age groups as well

Reply #201913 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed #795,
No one from sturt has ever tried to influence a player to move or promised SASI and state to them. Goodness,gracious me, the very idea!

Reply #202107 | Report this post

ITK  
Years ago

Every club does it or has tried to poach. Anyone coming on here saying that their club has not done is full of it. Move on and accept it happens.

Reply #202123 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

IMO if a player plays Div1 for a club and is either poached, or wants to move clubs the existing club should get something in return for the development they have already put into the player. Should look at the SANFL structure and maybe a transfer fee or player for player trade to keep things fair.

Reply #202434 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As a family who has moved clubs - we left because we were not happy there - although this does not mean we were unhappy with all aspects of the club environment. Clubs need to deal with 'why' people are leaving instead of blaming the clubs that people move too. Many people keep talking about solutions that basically involve forcing players to stay at clubs - to adddress this problem you need to think about the 'why' - people aren't leaving clubs because they are poached - they leave because they are unhappy with their current situation. Trust me - the decision to change clubs is very very difficult - for us that decision turned out to be the best decision.

Go Sturt!

Reply #202638 | Report this post

C3PO  
Years ago

202638 - what div is/are your kid/s in?

Reply #202686 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unfortunatlly I was unable to find anything about poaching in the BSA Bylaws other than SASI and State players and coaches which means that there is no such thing as poaching i think it is more or an unwritten agreement that clubs dont do this openly. BSA should really fix this problem if im incorrect can someone point me in the right direction to where the Bylaw is.

Please BSA fix this and make clubs accountable for sneaky behaviour.

Not one club can say they have never done it but it needs to be fixed because there are parent that play use this to thier advantage also and put clubs in bad situations

IF IM WRONG ON THE BYLAW PLEASE SHOW ME WHERE AS IM INTERESTED TO KNOW TH RULING

Reply #280272 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Section, 17 Clause 2: All clubs shall refrain from approaching junior players with the view to securing their services to play for any other club - Sturt excepted!

Reply #280274 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:28 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754