lethal5
Years ago

Celtics sign Darius Miles

From nba.com ...The Boston Celtics have signed free agent Darius Miles, the terms of the deal have not been disclosed.
The 6'9" forward, No.3 pick in the 2000 draft has not played for 2 seasons due to injury & last played for Portland in 2006 averaging 14 ppg.

A great pick up IMO if he is fit & healthy. Thoughts?

Topic #17102 | Report this topic

Bizzy  
Years ago

The question more so is what does this mean for Portland? Does this put his insane contract back on the books? I remember there was stipulation that he couldn't play for so long etc.

TR? twentyfour?

Reply #201532 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Worth a gamble at the right price maybe?

Reply #201534 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

If Miles plays more than 10 games for a season over the next two seasons his $18 million will go back onto the books for Portland.

If I'm a GM then just to mess with Portland I'd employ him and he can sit on the bench as the 15th man.

It's a big problem for Portland.

Reply #201535 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great signing by Boston.

The man has unfulfilled talent and brings something different to Boston.

I hope he gets minutes...

Reply #201553 | Report this post

I remember reading something about this a few months ago on ESPN- there was speculation that teams may consider signing him just to screw Portland over and make it harder for them to compete

Reply #201562 | Report this post

Johnny Sack  
Years ago

I think that the Blazers can petition the NBA after the season to have part (or all) of the lux tax/salary penalties knocked off (according to a number of posters on realGM)- it`s not a given that they have to wear it - after all it was the NBA doctors did deem it a career ender... I doubt that jar jar will play a single game though (###t attitude, ###t hair, and even ###ttier knees)...

Reply #201567 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Jar Jar - classic! Where'd you find that?

Reply #201582 | Report this post

Johnny Sack  
Years ago

I would have thought it was self-evident... Just like Udonis Haslem looking like a carp...

Reply #201604 | Report this post

M Dizzle  
Years ago

Well the C's are the champs and don't really need him so they have nothing to lose. It can't be questioned that his talent can help an NBA team, and perhaps the injuries have humbled his attitude a little. They just sit back and win games while waiting to see if he can fulfill any of his potential.

Reply #201620 | Report this post

Who Me  
Years ago

I would suggest that Darius gets himself a bodyguard, because if he steps out of line, just even a bit, I could see Garnett and/or Pierce snapping him in half!

Seriously though, there is no downside in this for Boston, that I can see, the big 3 won't let him play up if things aren't going well and if things do go well for Darius, they are "screwing" a Western Conference contender as well!

Reply #201632 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Definitely a good gamble by the Celtics. If he can stay fit and has not lost too much of his athleticism, he will be a very useful option off the bench for both KG and Pierce.

In time, his length and athleticism could make him a better defensive stopper than Posey. Apart from his injury history, Miles biggest flaw is his outside shooting though. That is where Posey's loss will hurt the Celtics the most. They really only have House coming off the bench now who can be relied upon for his outside shooting.

If the Celtics are lucky, though, Giddens and Pruitt may progress enough defensively to get court time this year. Both were decent shooters in college and could become good options as well.

Reply #202618 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:05 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754