LC
Years ago

Luke Nevill - Big Expectations?

There are some big expectations for Australian senior Luke Nevill in the NCAA Div 1 for next season. The 7"1 centre is tipped for big things with his Utah team.

Link to story: http://linky.com.au/ykud3

Here are the main points on Nevill:

" Nevill, Utes pass toughness test
In his first year as Utah coach, Jim Boylen made an impression with his sideline intensity.

"I did not sit down one minute of one game. I felt my team needed that energy and that passion," he said. "I'm hard on my guys, but they know I love 'em. What I am trying to do is create a culture of toughness and accountability."

Boylen's biggest challenge was to toughen up 7-1 center Luke Nevill, who had earned a tissue-soft reputation. Nevill made obvious strides under Boylen's watch. Nevill averaged 15.2 points, 6.7 rebounds and 1.6 blocks last season, and he averaged 22 touches per game on the offensive end.

On the defensive end, the Australian was more effective controlling the paint. He helped the Utes improve from worst to second-best in field-goal percentage defense in conference games.

"I spent the whole year on it, and I spent the whole summer on it," Boylen said of working with Nevill. "I believe in throwing the ball inside. What I've asked Luke to do is take ownership of the wins and losses, and not just how he plays."

" Five seniors in league of their own
The competition for player of the year should be among five seniors -- Brigham Young's Lee Cummard, UNLV's Wink Adams, San Diego State's Lorrenzo Wade, Utah's Luke Nevill and Wyoming's Brandon Ewing.

Topic #17125 | Report this topic

LC  
Years ago

Oh, and another quote from the same web page:

"With five returning starters and a deep bench, the Utes might be the most improved team in the Mountain West. Coach Jim Boylen said 7-1 center Luke Nevill has the ability to be a first-round NBA draft pick."

Reply #201871 | Report this post

kad  
Years ago

Gunna be a good year for aussies in the NCAA!

Mills at SMC
Ogilvy at Vandy
Nevill at Utah
Baynes at Washington St
Majok at UConn

Reply #201896 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Yep - it will be a huge one!
Some 33 Aussies this year in NCAA D1 Men.

A good website to check into during the NCAA season is www.aussiehoopsamerica.com. They have a comprehensive list of Aussies playing in the USA, and often will post links to game stats etc.

I reckon that 3 of the Aussies playing college ball this season are in with realistic chances in the 2009 NBA draft (should they nominate). In fact I am predicting that the Aussies could boast 4 draftees (in order):

1. AJ Ogilvy (Vanderbilt)
2. Patty Mills (St Marys)
3. Joe Ingles (South Dragons)
4. Luke Nevill (Utah)

I can see Ogilvy and Mills getting picked up in the first round, Ingles to get picked up in mid second round, and Nevill in late second reound. Although if Nevill breaks out for a 20ppg & 9+rpg season, I would expect him to go somewhere in the first round (likely to be late).

College ball is so much better to watch than the NBA as it is far more team focussed rather than one individual play.

Reply #201909 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

Luke will go to the Bulls, it is part of your visa requirements if you are aussie, over 7ft and your name is Luke or Luc.

Reply #201917 | Report this post

Oldschool  
Years ago

lol curtley
ahh u all lover ingles now this time last year everyone was waking him

Any thoughts on McCallum who headed 2 Nicholls St?

Reply #201952 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cameron McCallum at a D1 school, now that was a surprise. Yes he can play (did well at the NBL Prospects camp, I hear) and yes Nicholls State has a love affair with under-rated Aussies, but I cannot see it.

The best Aussie there is Anatoly Bose, moving into his soph year, same height as McCallum, heaps more athletic and great instincts for the game. Natural swingman.

Cameron is a bit undersized (yes he's listed at 6'8" - I don't think so) to play forward even in the Southland conference, however like Dom Friend, Mike Czepil and Ryan Bathie, they'll get sooooo much better playing there in one of the toughest schedules in the NCAA. Good luck to him.

Reply #201957 | Report this post

ADC  
Years ago

I think you will find that the rule for playing with the bulls is - over 7ft, aussie, ginger and named luke...

Reply #201965 | Report this post

kad  
Years ago

Mill is currently tipped to be drafted #14 with AJ at #16 on draftexpress.

Reply #201968 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Interesting to note that on draftexpress.com, Mills didn't rate at all until during the Olympics!
Ogilvy has been rated around the teens since early last season.

Reply #201975 | Report this post

DandyBoi  
Years ago

I also see that Ingles is slated for pick 50 overall (2nd round).
nbadraft.net has Mills as as a late first rounder in 2010, and Rubio as 2nd in the same draft. Surely both will go in 2009 (as per draftexpress.com), particularly considering their stocks are so high right now? Hopefully Mills has a stellar season.

Reply #201976 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:20 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754