breaklamp
Years ago

NBA Fantasy - Who improves / who goes backwards

One of the things I enjoy during on the eve of the NBA season is get my fantasy team sorted. Since you want to get best value for your coin, I want to ask everyone who they think will be the big improvers and who are those who will go backwards from last season.

Here are my choices.

Improvers:
Marcus Williams - He was solid after Kidd left NJ and now in GS, I think he could start for them. Very productive player.

Wade - As long as he stays injury free, I think he will put up great numbers - he is a stat filler.

Calderon - no brainer really. With no TJ Ford in Toronto, Calderon will take the starting spot as he did last season with Ford out injured. Worried about his starting cost though.

Mo Williams - hard one to gauge but I think he can get better in a new environment.

Tyrus Thomas - taking a punt here but this could be the year he puts it together.

Granger - Indiana is HIS team now with the departure of O'Neal. Needs to be more consistent.

David Lee - love this guy. I think he fits D'Antoni's system well and could average 15 & 12 this year.

Marvin Williams - like Thomas, he might put it together this year and show why he was pick 2.

Bogut - His numbers have got better every year. Hopefully his numbers can get better after a solid second half of last season.

Players to avoid:

KG - Started last season on fire but kind of dropped away in terms of fantasy value.

Kidd - He aint getting any younger and now in Dallas, his numbers werent as nice as in NJ. Without the RJ/Carter slashers and with Dirk largely creating his own shot, i think Kidd may take a tumble this season.

The Pistons team - Apart from Stuckey, i would avoid the pistons simply because Billups is getting older, Rip doesnt assist or rebound a great deal and Sheed is inconsistent. Prince is maybe an option but goes missing.

Ellis - not only because of his injury, but i think he needed BD there and without him, Ellis will struggle to repeat last season's numbers.

Camby - With Kaman in the middle, he will take rebounds/blocks/points away from Camby.

Duncan/Ginobili/Parker - Dont think they will be as productive this year. Parker doesnt get enough steals or assists for a PG, Manu's ankle is dodgy and Pop's minutes for an aging Duncan may decrease this season. Duncan could be a fantasy stud but Pop isnt exactly a fantasy-friendly coach.

Bargains are also in the rookies and here are the rookies that need to be considered/avoided.

Considered:
Mayo - as long as he plays SG, I can see him getting consistent minutes and being a solid contributor.

Beasley - I think he could be a 15 & 8 player this season.

Oden - could be a fantasy monster.

Brook Lopez - Plays a little below the ring but with no other decent big men in NJ, could get many minutes and be productive.

JJ Hickson - With the Cavs aging front line, he might see some minutes. I think he can be a solid contributor this season.

Westbrook - with no decent PG at Oklahoma besides Waston (who isnt a decent PG himself), Westbrook should see some time and link up well with Durant.

Avoided:
Gordon - cant see him getting minutes since Clips have so many SGs. And I dont think he will do much besides score points which isnt good value in fantasy terms.

Rose - I just dont know what to make of the bulls this season and how Rose will play. While I picked Thomas to inprove, I dont think ill get Rose with Hinrich still around.

Bayless - like Gordon, I think he might get stuck behind other players like Blake, Fernandez and Roy. But after an MVP performance in the Summer League, he could see time. Need to see more of him first.

Augustin - with Felton entering his 4th year, i dont see Augustin getting regular minutes or contributing a great deal.

What does everyone else think? Trials in October should hopefully help to see those rookies that are ready for the NBA.

Topic #17175 | Report this topic

MH  
Years ago

Like every other fantasy team I enter

I pick my team then spend the next 10 rounds and all my trades getting the team I should have picked from the get go.

Reply #202282 | Report this post

Juror 12  
Years ago

Add Mario Chalmers to the list of rookies who might do well

Reply #202286 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

Unless you are in a keeper league I tend to steer clear of rookies - they always go 3 rounds to early and hurt you for the first 6 months (see: Kevin Durant)

Reply #202290 | Report this post

gav  
Years ago

Rather than me be original, Ill just go with guys you have mentioned on the whole.

Agree with the Rookie statment, they always go to high.

Calderon should be amongst the top five point guards taken.
I think Jermaine Oneal is worth a run this year. He finally has some size upfront to help, and has a pass first pg to get him the ball. (dont rag me on his injuries, I said worth a punt)

Boget - should get some pts improvement.
Rose, Beasley and Oden are all worth a look in the later rounds, as is Chalmers.

Monta Ellis should slip simply because he is missing the first month minimum. However, if you can get him in the mid rounds, would be worth the pickup.
Brand - will be interesting to see how far he slips after a year out and a new team, and should have C eligibility.
Disagree with Tyrus, Mo williams and M williams...think they will flat line.

I like Durrant and Al Horford this year. Both know what to expect, and I think they will be improved and more consistent.

Reply #202371 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:37 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754