Isaac
Years ago

Youngest triple double in NBA history

LeBron James become the youngest player ever to record a triple-double in NBA history on Wednesday as the Cavaliers beat Portland.

He scored 27 points, had 11 rebounds and 10 assists in the 107-101 victory. He was 20 years and 20 days old, and beat the previous record holder, Lamar Odom (now with the Lakers), by 34 days.

Twenty years old and top five in the league in points, assists, steals and minutes. 24.9 PPG, 7.1 RPG and 7.3 APG. Amazing.

He's improved on his rookie year in scoring, rebounding, assists, steals, blocks, field goal percent, three point percent while recording fewer turnovers.

The Real Deal?

Topic #1719 | Report this topic

Statman  
Years ago

I think he is most certainly the real deal. The great thing in my opinion for him this year is that he has improved his shooting percentage while getting more attention from the opposition. That coupled with what seems to be an unselfish attitude so he doesnt just focus on scoring and being 'the man' make him the ideal player.

Personal accolades and milestanes will come his way no doubt - but the challenge will be if he can help make the Cavs a force for many years to come

Reply #19486 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

He is the MVP right now.

Although he will probably get taken over by KG, Duncan, Nash etc towards the end of the season. Remember he IS only 20.

Reply #19496 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

What I like is that with stats like that he could be talking himself up, but I've never heard any quotes or stories to suggest that he's big headed. Obviously he'd have a very positive self image, but has nowhere near the negative reputation that Kobe Bryant has.

Reply #19507 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

To be MVP his team will have to go deep into the playoffs.

I hope they do, but I can't see them getting anywhere near the Heat in the long run

Reply #19510 | Report this post

mr clutch  
Years ago

he's come close to getting triple doubles before but he finally got one. i was surprised to see that the previous record holder was lamar odom but then the great man himself magic johnson was the 3rd 4th and 5th youngest person to get a triple double. i think in years to come he could be as good as jordan

Reply #19511 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

That is a very big call. Jordan's greatness wasn't just in his basketball ability. if you know what I mean.

We won't know how good LeBron is until he is tested at the highest level.

His great individual ability has to be paired with great team mates.

Jordan's greatness was his ability to make his team mates great, which allowed him to get to the highest levels of the game, where he completely dominated.

I think LeBron and Dwayne Wade will fight it out for MVP's in the years to come.

Reply #19512 | Report this post

Dan the Man  
Years ago

he is the real deal if you look at his numbers, but in terms of career achievements i think he will have trouble matching jordan.

i say this with that game in utah in mind when jordan shook byron russell for the match winner to win the title.

Reply #19518 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and his second threepeat, lebron wont get 2 threepeats

Reply #19520 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hope he is shooting better than he was at the Olympics - "Airball James" wasnt he?

Reply #19528 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Jordan was reocognised as the greatest well before his team won anything...

Reply #19533 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

No he wasn't. Are you telling me that in 1990, he was seen as better than Magic or Bird, or Bill Russel or Kareem? You are joking?

Even Jordan says so in 'Jordan's Playground, that he had to beat the best to be the best.

Name one sport where the Greatest Player of All Time never won the highest accolades as a player. Jordan hadn't even won an MVP before he won a Championship.

Reply #19537 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yes he did thedoctor his 3rd season averaging 35 ppg

Reply #19541 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

My bad. Anon, must agree that he wasn't seen as greatest of all time by that stage?

Reply #19543 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

he was one of the greatest offensive players of all time!

keep in mind the season before he averaged 37ppg and didnt get the MVP! The cheating wanker did

Reply #19546 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

I think that If james is going to be considered with 'best ever' status he will have to have a strong rival to beat on the court.

I think in 3 years time Amare Stoudamire, Yao Ming and Wade are all going to be on the top of their game and we are going to see some great rivalries.

When people think of MJ they think of the Knicks. Magic and Bird. Hakeem and Ewing. James and Wade?? time will tell.

Reply #19576 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

For whatever reason my view of Lebron and essentially the NBA has been tainted significantly by Athens. Lebron didn't really get the job done there so I have trouble accepting that he is the real deal, but by the same token I can't really ignore his stats in the toughest league in the world.

I'd like to see him in Beijing by which time he'll likely be the undisputed NBA MVP, see how he goes leading his country when he's at the peak of his game.

Reply #19625 | Report this post

mr clutch  
Years ago

he just got another triple double today

Reply #19821 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

yeah bron flirts with triples doubles every game,its a common thing for bron so start getting use to em

Reply #19822 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Billo, don't be clouded by his Athens' performance (or lack of). Remember Jordan's freeze out in the All-Star game as a rookie? It happens - the kids have to earn their stripes.

Reply #19827 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

LeBron today: 28 points, 12 rebounds, 10 assists as the Cavs beat Golden State.

Reply #19865 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

He'll win MVP this season, if they make the Playoffs. I'm as sure of it as I'm sure Bogut will go #1 and Schenscher will go first round (only if the YJs make the Final Four).

Reply #19878 | Report this post

shooter  
Years ago

i so wish nba would come back to free to air tv!!! used to love watching nba live on saturdays back in the Jordan days

Reply #19883 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Libertine -- big calls. We'll have to come back and check on this later in the year...

Reply #19890 | Report this post

the real g  
Years ago

lebron is the real deal f**k Jordan he ainght shit

lebron wants his career is over

five most valuable award
8 finals most valuable player
avarede 40points 20 rebounds and 20 assist

Reply #39488 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Obviously the price of crack has taken another tumble and it's school holidays...... good post 'the real g'.

Until you have won, stats don't mean shit. Have a chat to Malone, Sir Charles, Ewing, Mullin, Wilkens, and many others. Hell, talk to Payton, Kemp, Hill, Mourning, KG, Stockton, Kidd. All these players have two things in common, all awesome, but all without championship bling bling.

To say "f**k Jordan he ainght shit" just proves how much of a clown you really are.

Reply #39509 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

carmelo and james are legends

Reply #60156 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

theres a hell good new guy called tim scott, they say hes going to be big

Reply #60157 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:44 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754