Quagmire
Years ago

What came first- D'Antonio or Nash?

The success of the suns with Nash winning MVP's and coach D winning COY was based on getting a shot in offence in under 7 seconds.

Both Nash and D'Antonio had previous stops in the NBA before coming together at the suns, now that they again are apart, will we finally solve the riddle of who gets the credit?

Did Nash do well because of the system?
Or did the system do well because of Nash?

Its the chicken and the egg people, and i for one, can't wait to see how the knicks and suns go this year.

My predictions-
The knicks are a team without a star- this has lead to a bunch of b graders trying to establish star cred.
If they embrace coach D's style, we could really see marked improvement. If.

The suns have completely 180'd into a half court side based on Nash getting the ball to the beasts of the interior. I'm predicting they miss the play-offs this year.

Topic #17240 | Report this topic

KingJames  
Years ago

As if the Suns will miss the playoffs! You love saying stupid things don't you!

Reply #203155 | Report this post

ESP  
Years ago

I find it difficult to agree that the Suns will miss the playoffs this year, with Nash still productive and Amare on the improve. Particularly with Dallas and Denver on a downward spiral.

Reply #203157 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

I think they needed each other to be successful. Obviously Nash was the perfect PG for the system, but then the system was perfect for Nash. His strengths were capatilised on offence, and then his less than stellar D was always highlighted, because the team in general was a poor defensive side (and didn't really want to play it). But because he played more O than D, we saw several extraordinary seasons from him.

You could say the same things about he team in general, though. When you also have Stoudemire and Barbosa logging big minutes, the same things were also brought to the front. No D, but one hell of an offence. It'll be interesting how exactly things get turned around.

I think Shawn Marion should get a bit off credit, too. You want to talk about 'perfect players' for a system - a 6'7 forward who can play both F spots, athletic as hell, can D up on pretty much whoever he needs to, is a great rebounder, and then runs the floor hard and gets in the right spots better than anyone else.... he made that team go, and was almost as valuable as Nash was, IMO.

Reply #203159 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Shaq, Hill and Nash- all will be worse this year, and all will spend chunks on the pine due to age related soreness.

Amare 'oh the potential' Stoudamire. Will you guys still be talking about his potential when he is 30?

The chance that Nash will finally die on the court due to his bad back, or that Amare will get another injury based on his poor training ethics is just too high.

As i see it- locks for the play-offs include;
(no order)
Jazz Spurs Hornets Lakers
Rockets Mavs Blazers.

Dallas has the chance to get real tough under Carlisle.

Also- Portland will be there this post season.

Clippers Warriors Denver or Kings- one of them will surprise this year and actually play well.

My tip will be the Davis lead clips, purley because he is an outstanding player, and they have a two towered front court that will be a match-up prob for most squads.

That leaves the suns on the outside.

Reply #203160 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

*yawn* Suns will make it regardless of if you don't like them or not.

Reply #203166 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

"Amare 'oh the potential' Stoudamire."

Are you serious???? Just how much kool-aid have you sipped today???

What part of last seasons 25ppg, 2.1bpg, 9rpg don't you understand????

You rate the Mavs higher than the Suns...

Reply #203170 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Coaching is a huge part of that, Carlisle is a quality coach, Dirk is a former MVP who will still produce, they still have Terry and Josh 'bong' Howard.

Kidd will be better than most people think too.

I liked Porter the player, i worry about him as the coach though...

*yawn* its not about liking / dis-liking a team, i'm not personal when i predict. (I'm actually a fan of Nash, Bell, Barbosa...)

TR- i'm just over people (there is always one) claiming players are on the imrpove when there is nothing to suggest it is the case. Age is how long you've been alive- not a pre-curser to improved skills!

Reading a book on the suns which is pretty damning of Amare with regards to his ego and training ethics.
It suggests that he is all about playing type practice, and nothing for strategies and strength conditioning training etc...

He is not on the improve. That is not to say he won't again put up good numbers, it just means he will not be stepping up to another level.

With his output the same, and the decline of all others, the loss of the coach and Brains behind all their success, bad times ahead for the suns.

Reply #203174 | Report this post

Run TMC  
Years ago

I think you are forgetting that the Suns were playing pretty well towards the end. If Duncan missed that three who knows what might have happened.

I think we can all agree that the West will be extremely tough again this year and a couple of good teams will miss out. Portland and the Clippers would be playoff contenders this year and last year's eight will all be good again. How well each team holds up with injuries and/or old age could be crucial.

Reply #203179 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Good point, predicting (especially mine) is not an exact science...

Injuries and team chemistry is massive, and the new coaches around the L provide uncertainty also...

Reply #203180 | Report this post

Years ago

TR, I think the point is that people still go on about Amare as though he's a 20 year old with so much growth left before he hits his prime. I'm not saying he'll never improve beyond what he is now, but he's 25 (turning 26 in November), so he's pretty much in his prime as we speak. Not that what he is right now is bad or substandard (obviously it's not), and he can still add things to his game, but IMO he'll never be in the elite class of Power Forwards like Tim Duncan and Kevin Garnett have become during their careers.

Reply #203181 | Report this post

Nash2Stoudemire  
Years ago

I'm bookmarking this thread...

For, say May/June next year...

Reply #203198 | Report this post

i hate when people say phoenix don't play defense, that's just ignorant.

Reply #203202 | Report this post

breaklamp  
Years ago

To me, suns are like geelong in the way they play. The fast play worked for the Suns because they had guys like marion, nash and amare to run the offense. NY wont be successsful because they simpy dont have the talent. Its like a team such as freo or Melb trying to implement geelong's fast paced, play-on-at-every-opportunity style. If knicks try to copy, they will be able to build a house with the amount of bricks they throw up. There is nobody on their list with the talent of nash, amare and marion. marbury is old, jamal crawford would fit in ok i guess, Q-rich is a has-been (is he still with Brandy???), Lee might do ok and curry and randolf will struggle without question. Curry and randolf struggle to run to the other end of the court in under 24 seconds, let alone participate in a 10 second offense.

Reply #203209 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Carlisle is a quality coach? Have you seen his record lately? Not to mention his playoff record in a weak Eastern conference.

Nash is a 2 time MVP (should have been 3) and only missed one game last season so not sure where you are getting "He will die on the court due to his bad back".

Suns have a much better team then Dallas!

I'm sure Stoudamire wouldn't mind finishing 3rd in the top 3 Power Forwards in the last 10-15 years. Furthermore, Rasheed Wallace is in his 30's and is still getting good stats and has never been nearly as good as Stoudamire. So I imagine Stoudamire to continue to dominate into his 30's like Garnett and Duncan currently are.

Suns will easily make the playoffs once again.

Reply #203219 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Suns will struggle this season, should still scrape into the playoffs. Next few years will only get worse as they head deep into a rebuilding phase. Will Amare stick it out or chase the cash?

Reply #203231 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Anyone else think Quagmire and KingJames might both actually be Tyler Durden?

Reply #203271 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

You got me billo, i'm the Brad pit guy though and he's the wannabe.

I can't let someone post that Amare is better than Rasheed and not make comment.

There is only one facet of the game in which Amare has a slight edge on Rasheed, dunking. And how important is that really?

Every single other facet of the game, court awareness, defensive intent and ability, shooting, post play, intangibles like team chemistry and opponent knowledge. Passing, 1%ers like setting screens and hauling ass back in defence, intimidation, Rasheed is light years ahead.

Only a popcorn fan would make such a comment.

Reply #203291 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

lol you like showing you have no basketball knowledge at all and also saying a player is better then another one because you like that player and don't like that other player.

"There is only one facet of the game in which Amare has a slight edge on Rasheed, dunking.....Every single other facet of the game Rasheed is light years ahead" haha you are kidding me arent you? That is funny as!!

In almost every stat including the most important ones for a Power Forward Stoudemire dominates. Including Points per game, Rebounding, blocking, FG Shooting, FT Shooting. What happened to light years ahead?? Even in Wallaces BEST EVER season, Stoudemire still owns him in every stat i just mentioned.

So all you got is a lame "yeah but he is a smarter player and stats dont mean anything" Yes such a smart basketball player with his numerous brain explosions, many tech fouls and fouling out of the game when his team needs him out there. Perhaps one of the dumbest previous All-star basketballers out there!

Its fact Stoudemire has always been a far Superior player compared with Wallace and every team in the league would always choose Stoudemire over Wallace. Even in Wallaces Prime Stoudemire would be chosen over him by a mile.

oh yeah and such a "slight" edge Stoudemire has in dunking.

Stoudemire 2007/08 Dunks total = 208
Wallace's 2007/08 Dunks Total = 27

Just a slight edge! But I guess in your book Points per game, Rebounding, blocking, FG Shooting, FT Shooting aren't very important.

Also I would say I'm more like Brad Pitt and you are that Bob guy.

Reply #203297 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Ooooooooh..... INTERNET FIGHT! TAKE COVER!

Reply #203302 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

Dude- i'm going into battle, i'm picking Wallace.

The only GM, coach or owner that would pick Amare infront of Wallace would be the ones interested in ticket sales not winning.

Tell you what i like to do when comparing two players, switch them from their teams and see if it would have a positive of negative outcome.

Wallace with the run and gun suns would of been awesome. He would finish in the lane just as much as Amare (minus the dunks but still worth two) but he would also get his perimeter on. As for Defence- Matrix and Wallace makes them very tough. An upgrade for sure.

Now picture Amare at the pistons. All i can see is confused looks on the faces of Billups and Hamilton as Amare tries to play pistons level of defence.

Since He has no ability to create his own shot, Amare sees his percentages plummit. (re Marion)

Verdict- suns make the playoffs and go deep, maybe all the way since they have improved on the defensive end while still managing to cover the points Amare usually gets. (see the season when Amare was injured- suns production hardly changed, they played Dallas to 6 in the conf semi ffs!)

Pistons- Total lack of harmony due to Amare the black hole of the post. Hamilton can't work off Wallace screens, he has to try and work off Amare's weak stuff. Pistons go from one of the best defensive squads to back in the pack, squeek into the play-offs and get bounced early.

Throw stats at me all you want.
Fact is suns didn't miss a step when they lost Amare for a season.

Wallace continues to be the main reason the Pistons are playing conf finals every year. (If you want to know why they haven't been playing finals every year, i suggest you speak to dcanwade our conspiracy guru.)

Sorry to burst your bubble dude, i know i hate it when someone sledges a player i like, but Amare is as one dimmensional as they come, he is a physical specimen with a brain made of flour and water.

Again-

Amare = child

Wallace = Man

Reply #203304 | Report this post

Lloyd Braun  
Years ago

"Wallace continues to be the main reason the Pistons are playing conf finals every year."

The main reason they continue to be in the conference finals is because they play in the EAST!!!!!!!!

Reply #203306 | Report this post

And because they have Tayshaun Prince.

Sorry, but what you get in defense in Rasheed, you lose in offense and finishing ability in Amare. There's no way Rasheed makes up for the offensive awareness that Amare brings.

Reply #203307 | Report this post

"Hamilton can't work off Wallace screens, he has to try and work off Amare's weak stuff."

LOL.

90% of phoenix's buckets came from the pick and roll with Amare setting the pick.

Reply #203309 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

*yawn* I didn't even bother to read all you wrote as you have continued to prove you have no idea about NBA Basketball and continue to ignore facts while making your own bogus story tales.

One player is an absolute Superstar while the other is basically a role player 15ppg, 6rpg.

Reply #203310 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

I'm sorry KingJames, but calling Sheed a role player and saying how dumb he his just shows how little you really know about him. He is one of the smartest players in the league. FACT. Sure, he has some brain explosions, but the guy has a ridiculously high bball IQ.

As for v Amare. It is hard to tell who is/has been better. It gets said so much that everything just comes easy for Sheed, and that he sometime just doesn't even try hard enough, so comparing stats is ridiculous. He has defence won by a long way, is a better shooter, better post-player, is smarter. You get the feeling at times that he could put up 18/8/2/2 or there abouts if it was needed.

If you were starting a team today, you would build around Amare, no doubt. But, just because he doesn't dunk on heads or have huge numbers, doesn't mean Sheed isn't a good player, believe it or not......

Reply #203316 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:54 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754