LC
Years ago

Why can't the NBL stream games live?

Here is a question - why can't the NBL stream games over the Internet live?
There would be minimal production costs and commentary would be optional. Much like how the NBA streamed the sumer leagues online.
Isn't some exposure better than none at all?
For heaven's sake, the best they are currently providing are dodgy live stats that crash when you get more than 10 people on the site at once and are innacurate 99% of the time.

What do others think?

Topic #17316 | Report this topic

DandyBoi  
Years ago

No here's an idea! I like it.
But let's be real - is the NBL really going to get off their arses and get this up and running? They can't even fix their bloody website let alone run a competition.
Mind you I saw that other thread about Gaze's show on YouTube - maybe he could get something happening now that he is on the board of director's for BA? His website is far superior to that of the NBL and is kept up to date more frequently too.

Reply #203859 | Report this post

David  
Years ago

yea here here

Reply #203861 | Report this post

Herb  
Years ago

This is a good question that is likely to remain unanswered.

Reply #203905 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

LC, this is a good idea I have been thinking about since I first saw English Premier League clubs providing limited highlights, interviews, etc over the internet to subscribers a few years ago.

I think the NBA is really showing the way now with NBA TV. The problem for the NBL is just a complete lack of resources, both human and financial, which means a similar, league sanctioned and controlled service is unrealistic.

Since the above scenario is not realistic though, I would love to see clubs like the Sixers, Tigers, Wildcats, etc actively encourage some young, internet and tech savvy students to set up some basic camera/ sound equipment at the game and have a go at producing a netcast. It would be free and perhaps amateur at times, but it would be a great development opportunity for Uni and TAFE students in the relevant fields.

It doesn't have to be live either. I could be run late on the night of a game, so people still get along to watch it live and then those who are interested/ or interstate can watch it afterwards.

While I'm on this track I'd actually love to see the NBL take on a bit of US college feel. Make it cheap for students to come along to games (maybe even make it conditional on dressing in Sixers colours and bringing banners, flags, etc).

I reckon you could create an awesome atmosphere at games with a bunch of rowdy students, and the Sixers would still make more money than they are now, by flogging otherwise empty seats off at cheap prices.

Reply #203931 | Report this post

SKUX101  
Years ago

They probably could stream them live, however this could affect crowd numbers.
Think about it. The spirit got 1500 to their game yesterday. Imagine the supporters knew about the live streaming. Im sure a few hundred of them would just stay home and watch it over the internet.

Reply #203988 | Report this post

DandyBoi  
Years ago

So...when Foxsports do end up showing live games nobody will go?

Reply #204004 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:46 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754