David
Years ago

Poor Sydney Spirit crowd

the spirit game crowd
Sydney Olympic Park Sports Centre, 14/09/2008. Crowd: 1573

that is pitiful even with nrl finals, now solutions to the problem is NBL schedule the game in the week so people will go instead of to the NRL that is such a terrible crowd honeslty NBL you are a joke

Topic #17317 | Report this topic

joshuapending  
Years ago

saw the image on sports tonight and they mentioned the crowd on the report, looked really poor. Hopefully they can improve on it in coming weeks.

Reply #203862 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

That is a hideious crowd.

Only one NRL game today, which was in Melb.

Given the unbelieveable salary cap breaching Tigers team, you'd think it would draw in the crowd especially with Ebi and Grizzard.

But no it was a poor one.

Reply #203864 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

To be honest, I was expecting them to get crowds of around 800/game. Does 1500 better their numbers from last season?

Reply #203870 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

thier numbers last season were around this, bout 1,500. 1,000 on a bad day and 2,000 on a good day. Makes me feel lucky to be a 36ers supporter where we have great support and reguarly get 5000 odd people to each game.

Reply #203875 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"you'd think it would draw in the crowd especially with Ebi and Grizzard." - yeah you would but the people in sydney hardly even realize they have a team or that basketball exists, let alone players on other teams.

Reply #203876 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

They probably will have a better crowd than that in future. It could be the Tigers that kept people away rather than drawing the crowd in. Simply because the Sydney fans didn't want to witness their team getting a thrashing. I thought Sydney did very well to only lose by 10 points considering the thrashing the Tigers could have dished out. Its actually quite encouraging that the Tigers didn't do that exceptionally well.

Reply #203879 | Report this post

nutter  
Years ago

maybe their embarressed to be sydney fans... I would be to with a name like that

Reply #203887 | Report this post

ANON12  
Years ago

There's just no basketball spirit in Sydney!!

Reply #203907 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm in Sydney and I was personally surprised that they got 1500. I would have thought 1K max was about as good as they'd do.

Reply #203909 | Report this post

KC- gone  
Years ago

Pissed down with rain in the afternoon, that would of stopped some coming, seemed a better more involved crowd than last year.

Music and anouncer way to loud.

They will probably build on the #'s as they season goes and they promote it

Reply #203927 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No marketing of new season anywhere to be seen. Sydney Spirit, new name.. new mojo.
Pigs fans were a breed apart, they are also probably pissed off at this new name.
Sydney Kings fans, seriously are not going to go to Sydney Spirit games, they can change the name etc.. but it is still out West a bit in a pretty tatty stadium.
So this is Basketball progress in this country.. oh well.
SA and VIC basketball are leaps and bounds ahead of other states. At least you guys have decent teams to follow this year.
The small marketing of game that i saw, said Sydney Spirit are basically crap and are not going to do well this year. Hardly a way to spruik up interest in season opener..

Reply #203954 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

How would rain keep fans away in an indoor arena. The fact that its a completely new team means that there wont be as much support. Do the ex pigs or kings fans jump on board or say F**k that this isnt my team? Sydney is fickle at the best of times, doesnt help that nobody has even heard of the team!

Reply #203974 | Report this post

SKUX101  
Years ago

Where does the Spirit play and what is the capacity of the stadium? anyone know.?

Reply #203985 | Report this post

woody  
Years ago

I AM A SEASON TICKET HOLDER HAVE BEEN FOR YEARS WEST SYDNEY FOR LIKE YAALI CAME TO GAMES LAST YEAR WHERE THE CROWD WAS UNDER 1000 SO GETTING A HALF PACKED STADIUM WAS A GOOD RESULT. BELIVE ME CROWD NUMBERS WILL PIK UP

I HOPE TO SEE 3500 4000 BY THE END OF THE SEASON

AND WATCH OUT WE HAVE A GOOD SQUAD

Reply #204049 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

Whats that castle quote....

...tell him hes dreamin

Reply #204055 | Report this post

mike  
Years ago

we are coming from the usa conducting a 3 on 3 basketball tournament and I know little about basketball in AUS...What would be the best prize to have for the teenagers that win? NBL finals tickets? Sydney playinga good team? what team? is there an all-star game? I would appreciate the help!

Reply #212545 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:00 am, Wed 17 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754